Share This Page:

Potential RM Officer, looking for help & advice. :-)

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
leighrogers

Potential RM Officer, looking for help & advice. :-)

Post by leighrogers »

Evening all!

This being my first post - please excuse me if I ask the same as others (Dont worry - I'm not going to ask the difference between Paras & RM!)

Ok, so I start my final year @ uni in September, finish next June. I've already been down to the AFCO & had my first interview, second is on 30th August.
I KNOW the RM is for me - now I am just trying to do absolutely everything to ensure I get my commission. The Ltnt who interviewed me said about 1000 people apply every year for officer and about 30 get it hence the effort to be one of those thirty.

I've looked at everything in the application side itself and think I've now got things to tick every box. Alongside university I also:
* Lecture IT @ a local college on some evenings.
* Volunteer with the Special Constables @ Staffordshire Police
* Box
* Do Thai Chi
* Do Taekwon-Do
* Work for Fujitsu Siemens as an engineer at weekends
I have great references from my tutors and employers.

On the physical side, every morning I alternate between bleep tests (between running and sit up). I am also doing some sprint work & resistance work. Also doing medium distance runs once a week - not long ago I broke the 7minute mile mark in trainers (I am told this is approx 8minute mile in boots)

I am struggling to do much more with everything else-not a lot of time you know :-)

Regardless, I was looking for some suggestions or advice that anyone has - IE, if there is anything I am missing or something i should be doing instead of something else.

I am willing to quit one of my jobs if in the long run I can strengthen my application.

Also!! - Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the bleep tests that they use on the POC? The ones I have are australian and different pace to the ones that my gym has, not sure which one they will use.

Thanks in advance folks - apologies about the seriously long post!

[/b]
macster

Post by macster »

map reading and the occasional tug.
leighrogers

Post by leighrogers »

thanks for the quick reply.

Tug means.... ?

:-)
Wee Willy Winkie

Re: Potential RM Officer, looking for help & advice. :-)

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

leighrogers wrote:Evening all!

This being my first post - please excuse me if I ask the same as others (Dont worry - I'm not going to ask the difference between Paras & RM!)

Ok, so I start my final year @ uni in September, finish next June. I've already been down to the AFCO & had my first interview, second is on 30th August.
I KNOW the RM is for me - now I am just trying to do absolutely everything to ensure I get my commission. The Ltnt who interviewed me said about 1000 people apply every year for officer and about 30 get it hence the effort to be one of those thirty.

I've looked at everything in the application side itself and think I've now got things to tick every box. Alongside university I also:
* Lecture IT @ a local college on some evenings.
* Volunteer with the Special Constables @ Staffordshire Police
* Box
* Do Thai Chi
* Do Taekwon-Do
* Work for Fujitsu Siemens as an engineer at weekends
I have great references from my tutors and employers.

On the physical side, every morning I alternate between bleep tests (between running and sit up). I am also doing some sprint work & resistance work. Also doing medium distance runs once a week - not long ago I broke the 7minute mile mark in trainers (I am told this is approx 8minute mile in boots)

I am struggling to do much more with everything else-not a lot of time you know :-)

Regardless, I was looking for some suggestions or advice that anyone has - IE, if there is anything I am missing or something i should be doing instead of something else.

I am willing to quit one of my jobs if in the long run I can strengthen my application.

Also!! - Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the bleep tests that they use on the POC? The ones I have are australian and different pace to the ones that my gym has, not sure which one they will use.

Thanks in advance folks - apologies about the seriously long post!

[/b]
realistically to become an officer i think your looking at under 20 minutes for the 3 miler (this is honestly off the top of my head, could be wrong). so just keep at it. good luck.
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

"Tug" means that the macster is living proof half of the posters on here are below average :roll: Phnawwwrrrgh :P
There are several people who frequent this site and never post, they will be able to answer your queries in a more relevant manner.
Wait out :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
leighrogers

Post by leighrogers »

LOL>

Thanks bud,
Ill wait it out. :-)

Thanks
Littlegreen

Post by Littlegreen »

Hello Mate,
Nice to hear you've got designs an outstanding career choice. I've been steered to you by Harry - sorry about the delay Harry, working harder than I'd have liked!. You sound like you've given the whole thing a great deal of thought, and appear on the surface to be much better prepared than many who start. You'll find that the selection is very much in two phases, with POC being a physical filter prior to AIB.

Don't be fooled by some people who post without any frame of reference to the job - I've no memory of ever running at some of speeds that crop up on this site!

POC is a tough few days, with the initial physical tests being based on the Royal Marines Fitness Assessment. I can't recall the standards, but I'm sure they're in your recruiting gouge somewhere. The bottom field and endurance course are hard bits of phys. No matter what stage of training or career you're at, they'll always be hard. If you stick to the programme in your recruiting leaflets then you'll be more than prepared. The thing that will mark you out is your own level of determination and effort. It'll hurt more than anything you've done before, but if you want it then give it everything you've got. It's a test of personal mettle as much as anything else. There are a couple of of other factors in the POC (essay, discussion exercise) but I'll sweep up the prep for that when I talk about AIB.

AIB is predominantley a Royal Navy filter, and the only one that RN candidates go through (aircrew excepting). It is almost entirely acedemic testing in one form or another. The small amount of PT involved should pose no challenge for one who's passed POC. You sound like your extra-curricular activities are well thought out, and should stand you in good stead. Specifically though, everything in the AIB is done under pressure, be it time, or just extreme scrutiny. In order to best mitigate against this, you need to prepare in great detail so once you're under pressure you've got some substance to fall back on. What do I mean? You'll be asked to write essays, be subjected to interviews, quizzed by the PSO etc. When you are, a detailed and comprehensive knowledge of current affairs, service conditions, current ops, key personalities in the MoD/Governement/Opposition parties. All of this will allow you to give more coherent and complete answers, without feeling flustered. Don't just know your current affairs in outline either, make sure you've depth to your knowledge - it's not enough to know what's going on, you should know why as well! Remember that the board is looking for a man who can lead a troop of Royal Marines on operations. It's a significant challenge, you need to show them that you're the man with the potential to do that.

Once you're though AIB, and chosen by the final selection board, you'll be given a date to start YO Training. If you get that far, then get back to me!

I've tried to give you an outline and a flavour for things, based on my own experiences, those of my friends and collegues (some of whom have worked in recruiting, some haven't). It is a while since I went though the process, so I'm quite probably a little out of touch in places, but I'm sure that the system hasn't changed that much! Don't take my advice as gospel, because as I say, I'm a little out of date in some areas. If you need a definitive answer on any part of the process, then the AFCO are the people for you. If you can, then try and speak to the RM ACLO - each area has one.

Hope this helps.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Damn Good Post Littlegreen.

You seem to have covered the lot so I will now wait for Liegh to tell us he's hacked the POC and the AIB board in the next few months.

Map Reading and the correct use of a Compass is most definitly a thing to learn though Leigh. Nought worse in the World than an Officer with a gleam in his eye and a map held in his sweaty hand...................................... upsidedown. It scares the men you see! :D :D :D

See if there are any orienteering clubs near to you and join them ASAP. It'll help you in the long run. And it's fun as well.

Artist
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Don't forget to read these little gems as well:

POC Diary & AIB Diary
macster

Post by macster »

Thank you Artist for confirming that I got at least a 50% (a genuine suggestion) score for my post. Being below average that is all I would expect.

Apologies for showing humorous tendencies, as I know this is the preserve of certain peeps, when they and they only deem appropriate.

No hijacking of sensible threads every goes one from anyone in authority!! Where is Doc by the way

Best of luck of with your application Leigh.
Ciao Ciao MF
R +
harry hackedoff

Oooooh :o get her :roll:
It is true that 50% of posters on here are below average. 50% are above average. Artist didn`t say it, I did and it was said in jest, it made Leigh larf.
Heyup LG you`ve lost yer cherry mate :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
leighrogers

Post by leighrogers »

Hi gents.
Thanks for all your input - especially LG & those links to the POC & AIB Diary - they are simply awesome.

I have noticed that some of the posts on here don't seem to add up, think the authors are a few sandwiches short of a picnic - know what I mean?

Im getting more and more nervous as time goes on, only 4 weeks till my interview and they've estimated 8 till POC. I have been able to see my fitness improving quite well - managed to complete the sit up bleep test today without stopping which was nice :-)

Upper body is coming along and Im hitting 11.5 on running bleep test (average) at the moment so all being well i should be up to scratch when the time comes! - Although I'm not managing to shave anything off my 7minute miles at the moment - thats proving a little tough...

Artist - Im loving the mapreading comment - top stuff! :lol: Done plenty of it in the cadets before but your right, always good to keep the finger in the pie! - Ill get on that shortly :D

I'm just going to keep on reading and reareading this posts - especially the POC diary with Brown Tuesday - sounds like I'm gonna get a beastin!

Thank a lot guys - Can't tell you how much this stuff helps - keep up the good work!
harry hackedoff

I have noticed that some of the posts on here don't seem to add up, think the authors are a few sandwiches short of a picnic
`ere, you talkin `bout me, son :evil:

Er, no Arry, I meant Artist. :roll:

S`alright then, innit 8)

Sounds like you are up for it mate, give it your best shot :wink:
How old are you Leigh, by the way?
leighrogers

Post by leighrogers »

Hey,

Im 21 - 22 in November.

Wasn't able to go to uni at the same time as everyone else my age due to family issues (Too many immediate family memebrs dying immediately before uni start date!) - So I had to wait out a couple of years and have another go! :-D

Hence the reason I'm still at uni when everyone else my age has long gone!

What are you opinions on Martial Arts. I thought it would make a contribution to the RM application. Now, one of my lecturers teaches TwaeKonDo and he says it probably wouldn't be of any use as TKD is about the practice of technique - which takes years apparantly.

Anyone else do any martial arts/defense etc - and do they find it useful?

:-d
jos

Post by jos »

I practiced Aikido for several years, whilst in the RM, and found it helped dealing with aggressive personnel without doing to much injury to them.
This should be the aim of martial art defence without injuring the attacker.
Not everones idea though.

Aikido seemed to me to be useful in ‘peacekeeping’ type operations. Best techniques to learn are the basic wrist throws or projections, basic holds and how to fall correctly.
After learning how to fall correctly I ended up practicing on concrete with little damage.

The other martial art I would recommend is newish in UK but seems really practical for street fighting. It’s called KRAV MAGA and is based on the ISRAELI self-defence system. The idea being uses what is practical and effective. Have a look on the web for info.
It is not what you would call a martial art in the strict Japanese sense but a practical fighting methodology.
This is a system I have not used myself but if I had access to a class I would attend even at my age.

Usually in real life it comes down to landing one or two good solid punches to the jaw when fighting without a weapon.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum" ("If you want peace, prepare for war").