Questions about the SAS

Discussions about Special Forces.
Rover

Re: Questions about the SAS

Post by Rover »

Rollo,

This is what you are looking for,

http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/Milita ... ox-Safari-

You could also Google Lowa, as they also are worn.

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Scouse Lancer

Post by Scouse Lancer »

The boots on the 2 "SAS" operatives were the standard issue boot for the British Forces in 2003. They are no longer issued.

Contact an army surplus store, some stores still have a few pairs, or imitation pairs.

Altho why 2 x "SAS" operatives are wearing them I will never know as they were pure crap, uncomfortable, inflexible and they killed your feet, wore mine for a week before my ex missus sent me out some decent boots from a civy company.

Oh and as for your statement about Bandies and Engineers.... Bandies are also Medics and carry out foot patrols with the rest of the boys in the Medic Role in most units.

Engineers can and do deploy with foot patrols to carry out engineering tasks on the frontline Everywhere.

A soldier was killed in Afghanistan today (10 Aug 2012), the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said.

The serviceman from 30 Armoured Engineer Squadron, 26 Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers, was killed as a result of injuries sustained by enemy action while undertaking a construction task in the Nad-e Ali district of Helmand province, an MoD spokeswoman said.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/two-b ... 31701.html

A British soldier is a Soldier first and foremost, their trade comes second. If you wish to join the SAS then you need to enlist as a normal British Soldier first.

You will then need to be in your Regiment for a few years gaining experience and once you are accepted to attend Sickener 1 and you Pass it and every other test they throw at you will you be accepted into the SAS.

And even Passing those tests is not always a guarantee that you will wear the Wings, Capbadge and Beret of a SAS Trooper. You can be RTU'd at any time for anything.

Stay in school, decide what you want to do with your life and do lots more research the Military is not a Low Risk occupation, your more likely to deploy to a war zone or operational theater now than at any other time in the last 40 Years.

So prepare yourself and have that frame of mind that you will get shot at regardless of your trade! Even Apache pilots get shot at.

RAF and Royal Navy personnel are ground deploying and doing foot patrols carrying out different tasks.
Once a Lancer always a Lancer, Ich Dien.

It must be accepted as a principle that the rifle, effective as it is, cannot replace the effect produced by the speed of the horse, the magnetism of the charge and the terror of cold steel. - British Cavalry Training Manual, 1907
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

Scouse Lancer wrote: The boots on the 2 "SAS" operatives were the standard issue boot for the British Forces in 2003. They are no longer issued.

Contact an army surplus store, some stores still have a few pairs, or imitation pairs.

Altho why 2 x "SAS" operatives are wearing them I will never know as they were pure crap, uncomfortable, inflexible and they killed your feet, wore mine for a week before my ex missus sent me out some decent boots from a civy company.

Thank you, which shoes would you advise me then?
Scouse Lancer wrote: Oh and as for your statement about Bandies and Engineers.... Bandies are also Medics and carry out foot patrols with the rest of the boys in the Medic Role in most units.

Engineers can and do deploy with foot patrols to carry out engineering tasks on the frontline Everywhere.

A soldier was killed in Afghanistan today (10 Aug 2012), the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said.

The serviceman from 30 Armoured Engineer Squadron, 26 Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers, was killed as a result of injuries sustained by enemy action while undertaking a construction task in the Nad-e Ali district of Helmand province, an MoD spokeswoman said.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/two-b ... 31701.html
I didn't know... thank you for clarifying my ideas!

Scouse Lancer wrote: A British soldier is a Soldier first and foremost, their trade comes second. If you wish to join the SAS then you need to enlist as a normal British Soldier first.
Yeah, but... what's a soldier? I already asked this questions to an army guy, but the answers weren't clear... What's the day of a soldier like? Is a soldier obliged to move to Afghanistan, Iraq... if somebody tell him? Any other informations are welcomed.
Scouse Lancer wrote: You will then need to be in your Regiment for a few years gaining experience and once you are accepted to attend Sickener 1 and you Pass it and every other test they throw at you will you be accepted into the SAS.
The medical is ok I think... As for the selection, I'm 100% I can succeed if I train really hard.
Scouse Lancer wrote: And even Passing those tests is not always a guarantee that you will wear the Wings, Capbadge and Beret of a SAS Trooper. You can be RTU'd at any time for anything.
I guess you're speaking about SAS 21 or 23; but what's the point of these regiments? Is it in case of a SAS 21 soldier is sick?

Scouse Lancer wrote: Stay in school, decide what you want to do with your life and do lots more research the Military is not a Low Risk occupation, your more likely to deploy to a war zone or operational theater now than at any other time in the last 40 Years.
I see... Just a question, why do people accept to do things that can kill them?

I like the Army (even though I don't exactly know what the army is...), but what's the point of being killed at 25years old?

Scouse Lancer wrote: So prepare yourself and have that frame of mind that you will get shot at regardless of your trade! Even Apache pilots get shot at.

RAF and Royal Navy personnel are ground deploying and doing foot patrols carrying out different tasks.
Moreover, my friend told me that American, British, French... soldiers have to respect the Geneva Conventions, that's pretty bad I think... He told that SF don't have to respect the GC.

What's the difference between a pilot in RAF and Royal Navy?

Thank you very much.
Ares-God of War

Post by Ares-God of War »

Rollo wrote:
Yeah, but... what's a soldier? I already asked this questions to an army guy, but the answers weren't clear...What's the day of a soldier like? Is a soldier obliged to move to Afghanistan, Iraq... if somebody tell him? Any other informations are welcomed.
Of course a soldier has to go to Afghanistan if ordered. :roll: " err no thanks i've got stuff on maybe another time." :roll: PS Britain is no longer in Iraq.
Scouse Lancer wrote: And even Passing those tests is not always a guarantee that you will wear the Wings, Capbadge and Beret of a SAS Trooper. You can be RTU'd at any time for anything.
Rollo wrote:I guess you're speaking about SAS 21 or 23; but what's the point of these regiments? Is it in case of a SAS 21 soldier is sick?

Its also 22 SAS. 21 & 23 SAS are TA (part time)

Rollo wrote:I like the Army (even though I don't exactly know what the army is...),

you dont know what the Army is? :o :o How old are you?

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

Ares-God of War wrote:
Rollo wrote:
Yeah, but... what's a soldier? I already asked this questions to an army guy, but the answers weren't clear...What's the day of a soldier like? Is a soldier obliged to move to Afghanistan, Iraq... if somebody tell him? Any other informations are welcomed.
Of course a soldier has to go to Afghanistan if ordered. :roll: " err no thanks i've got stuff on maybe another time." :roll: PS Britain is no longer in Iraq.
Rollo wrote:I guess you're speaking about SAS 21 or 23; but what's the point of these regiments? Is it in case of a SAS 21 soldier is sick?

Its also 22 SAS. 21 & 23 SAS are TA (part time)

Rollo wrote:I like the Army (even though I don't exactly know what the army is...),

you dont know what the Army is? :o :o How old are you?

Ares
What's the point of TA? When are they called? What's the difference between TA and SAS 22? I guess it's the best men who go in SAS 22, right?

When I say I don't what the army is, it's confused... I know what the army is, but given that I'm not in the army and have never been, I can't tell what the army is and if I will like it, because I'm 75% sure I've got a wrong image of the Army... I'm 17, wandering through what I want to do...
Ares-God of War

Post by Ares-God of War »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Air_Service
http://www.army.mod.uk/specialforces/10551.aspx SF

Some information on SAS (21 22 23) & SBS

TA are part time. They have civilian jobs and on free time they train as soldiers. they do go on operations like afghanistan and iraq.

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
Greeninside

Post by Greeninside »

Bit of a nightmare thread...
Rollo, my advice is do not join the army. If you are asking what point of a person dieing is then this job is not for you.
Also there is no point in worrying about joining the SAS until you have passed selection for the regular army which is hard enough. Why not join the french army? To join the British army you would need citizenship.
Norseman

Post by Norseman »

OMG!
What's wrong with young people today .......!
It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!