Share This Page:

SF secrecy

Discussions about Special Forces.
Revol

SF secrecy

Post by Revol »

I doubt many of you will give the correct answer for obvious reasons, but I was wondering why the government and military are so tight-lipped about units such as Delta, SAS, JTF2, etc.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Well I cannot speak for the British government but Delta are American and they do not exist,a lot like Area 51.
You ain't seen me.....Right? 8)
maunder123

Post by maunder123 »

haha probably because they have millions spent on them and they don't want Baf members getting jealous :P
B.a.r.b - passed - 68
Medical - in process
Basic Skills - 28th january
regiment choice - reme
trade - vehicle mechanic
-------------------------------------------
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Two words Mr President. Plausible deniability.
aspinall

Post by aspinall »

If i told you i would have to kill you :o
You'll Never Walk Alone
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Their fed up of telling these are secrets we don't want you to know? so they stopped saying anything and tightened their lips.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Sorry, but I think this SAS/SBS thing about secrecy is a load of bollocks.

Yes you are a part of the Special Forces. I do not see why you should remain anonymous!

I was one of those - but I never had ny face blacked out!! In fact Iwas used as a recruiting poster!!

Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

There is a pic of you at No. 6 around here somewhere that says otherwise Sneaky! :lol:
I notice the Australian and Kiwi SAS are nowhere near as 'hush hush', there are TV series following real selection!
flighty

Post by flighty »

Mike90 wrote:There is a pic of you at No. 6 around here somewhere that says otherwise Sneaky! :lol:
I notice the Australian and Kiwi SAS are nowhere near as 'hush hush', there are TV series following real selection!
Too right, there are pics ..... with his floozies. Aka Loz and me! 8)
Tab

Post by Tab »

If they media were allowed full access then the people in the special forces could become quite well known and there fore traceable which could put them and there families at risk. Also the more that is published about the SF the more the opposition could work out just what their tactics were and plan accordingly.
JohnKSmart

Post by JohnKSmart »

Its the Defence Intelligence thats kept in the Dark. The are overlaps with Special Forces. Also that they need to test new weapons systems on their best soldiers since they'll be the ones using them. The SF are not highlighted usually its because the technology isn't suppose to be leaked.
Sir Hawkwood

Post by Sir Hawkwood »

Tab wrote:If they media were allowed full access then the people in the special forces could become quite well known and there fore traceable which could put them and there families at risk. Also the more that is published about the SF the more the opposition could work out just what their tactics were and plan accordingly.
The numerous books written about the SF by Andy McNab, Ryan and the other sf crew already have resulted in the SAS having to change it's ways and training.

Apparently they get around the official secrets act by making the books 'fiction', yeah right! :D
www.ontheroadthailand.com
www.divinglore.com
colmurph

Post by colmurph »

sneaky beaky wrote:Sorry, but I think this SAS/SBS thing about secrecy is a load of bollocks.

Yes you are a part of the Special Forces. I do not see why you should remain anonymous!

I was one of those - but I never had ny face blacked out!! In fact Iwas used as a recruiting poster!!

Sneaky
And I'll bet that you never went oerational either. Most of us didn't want our pictures taken for the simple reason that we could be identified at a later date by the bad guys. Now that I'm retired and out of the business I don't mind getting photographed.
Ares-God of War

Re: SF secrecy

Post by Ares-God of War »

Hi All,

Ill just put my two cents worth in.

I understand that a certain amount of hush hush is required as people have said however countries like Australia & NZ SAS show faces and TV shows Whilst the UK SAS do nothing like that, does that mean that the Aus & NZ face dangers to their families? I always thought that the USA not confirming the existance of "Delta Force" was pointless due to the fact that everyone knows they exist, and America admits the existance of the Navy SEALs/ Green Berets. :soldier_armed_comeon2:

Ares :x-mas: :xmas_rendeer: :x-mas:
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
timex

Re: SF secrecy

Post by timex »

Ares-God of War wrote:Hi All,

Ill just put my two cents worth in.

I understand that a certain amount of hush hush is required as people have said however countries like Australia & NZ SAS show faces and TV shows Whilst the UK SAS do nothing like that, does that mean that the Aus & NZ face dangers to their families? I always thought that the USA not confirming the existance of "Delta Force" was pointless due to the fact that everyone knows they exist, and America admits the existance of the Navy SEALs/ Green Berets. :soldier_armed_comeon2:

Ares :x-mas: :xmas_rendeer: :x-mas:

Big difference is that we fought a fairly nasty War in NI and everyone that I knew (SF and non SF) were very averse to having their faces plastered all over the papers and TV. Even now a lot of guys stay out of the limelight as a matter of course.