Share This Page:

Joining 21 SAS

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
Paul84

Joining 21 SAS

Post by Paul84 »

Can anyone help me with a training schedule to help get me up to the required fitness level that is needed for 21 SAS, I am relatively fit at the moment but want to make sure am ready for selection in January cheers in advance :D
ppoppy

Re: Joining 21 SAS

Post by ppoppy »

Get hold of nice big bergen. Fill it with about 60lbs of rubbish. Walk/run with it everywhere. Get up to the Beacons and get to love being wet, cold and hungry (and a bit lost would be good). In my experience nothing else really works. The only way to get fit for carrying a bergen is to do it. If you run mucj get rid of your trainers and only ever run in boots. Common sense really. Don't forget if you find yourself not enjoying the training don't worry, you're not supposed to.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Get hold of nice big bergen. Fill it with about 60lbs of rubbish. Walk/run with it everywhere.
Suggest you build up to any weight you intend to carry rather then start with 60lbs of anything.
Otherwise you stand a good chance of sustaining an injury and hence being unfit for selection in any form.

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Just get your self really fit and the rest will follow

http://www.eliteukforces.info/special-a ... -reserves/
timex

Post by timex »

Plenty of running on various surfaces (trackshoes are fine for putting the miles in) and lots of swimming.
Get your map reading skills sorted to as high a standard as possible. (This will save lots of extra miles later on).
DONT run everywhere with a bergan on your back as it will either knacker your knees or back..
Millar

Post by Millar »

Search for "Triathlon Training Programs"

A quick Google search found me this: http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/artic ... ticleid=29
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

Everything i've ever read about SAS selection has said that determination will be your greatest tool to get you through. Obviously a fairly good standard of fitness is a good idea, but nobody expects you to turn up like an olympian! If you can drag yourself through high levels of pain, suffering and exhaustion to achieve your goal, then you stand a good chance of passing. I'm not in the SAS and I have never attempted selection, but I think that the selection process is more about how far you can go, and what you can push yourself through to reach the finish line without giving up, rather than a certain standard/level of fitness.

I've been preparing for it since my knee op in feb this year (I was medically discharged from the regular army), and after reading 'The Quiet Soldier' by Adam Ballinger. I get myself out 5 days a week doing something different everynight. Plenty of swimmimg, running, tabbing, cycling. I'm going to go for the summer selection next year if all goes well. My fitness related advice is to work on core strength and cardiovascular endurance.

Good luck mate :D
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)