Share This Page:

Can any cap badge now join SFSG?

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
123bolt

Can any cap badge now join SFSG?

Post by 123bolt »

Can anyone help please? I'm currently in the R.E and am bored to tears with it. I'm considering a transfer to para reg but want to exhaust all other possibilities first. I've passed P coy and was wondering if anyone knew if I could serve within the SFSG as an R.E capbadge? I've spoken with my RCMO regarding this but basically he couldn't care less if it's not R.E orientated. Also if I was to transfer what's the likelihood of getting into 1 para straight away as I've read mixed opinions on this and I have operational experience (herrick). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Wholley

Re: Can any cap badge now join SFSG?

Post by Wholley »

Sorry if this is a dumb question,but have you considered AACC?
Green Lid with RE cap badge.
With the present cut-backs I'm not real sure if thats an option but there's no harm in asking.

Someones going to jump all over me for this 8)
timex

Post by timex »

IIRC, SFSG is made up of 1 Para, An RM contingent and 2Sqn RAF Regt. I'd imagine you'd need to be part of those units but would be very surprised if they don't have some RE support?
Tab

Post by Tab »

When you join SFSG it is 1 Para and you get is your red lid just the same as the rest of the Para's, the best thing is to get into the Brigade and then move across to 1 Para
123bolt

Post by 123bolt »

Thanks for the replies lads. Off to depot it is then! Cheers
Mr Maroon

Post by Mr Maroon »

SFSG is made up of 1 Para and the FPGRM run an SFSG selection course the third element is 2 sqn RAF Regiment who provide more perimeter security whilst Marines and Paras capture or take down secondary targets whilst the SAS/SBS take out the primary's. To join SFSG from RAF Regt who have to have passed Pre para (RAF's version of P coy) and spent 2 years on 2 sqn before joining. In Answer to your question yes any cap badge can join but only if you've passed Pre-Para, P coy or AACC although I'm not altogether sure how it works because I joined straight from P coy.
Tab

Post by Tab »

The SFSG give support or extra muscle to the SAS. The SAS now often deal with the smaller and more important jobs and SFSG takes on bigger battle field role which needs more highly trained men with a range of different skills. All Groups attached to 1 Para come under a single commander which is the CO of 1 Para and this includes the RMC and RAF Reg. They all work and train together and work as a single unit.