Share This Page:

Officers entering as Troopers

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
wizzar

Officers entering as Troopers

Post by wizzar »

Hey Guys, I was talking to family friend today ( ex rm ) and he was saying that most officers who enter organisations like the SAS or SBS end up being pidgeonholed into what he described as a clerk with a capbadge

Whilst I'm not personally aspiring to sf I was wondering whether applying officers had the option of applying as a trooper not as an officer.

I remember he mentioned to me that his old oc passed selection but failed the extra officer part and passed out as a trooper,so has anyone ever heard anything like this before ?

Thanks for Reading

Wizzar
Ares-God of War

Re: Officers entering as Troopers

Post by Ares-God of War »

Hello wizzar

yes if an officer fails 'officer selection' he can become a trooper. i have also heard (dont know if true :-? ) that if you are a 2nd Lieutenant you can only become a trooper. i dont know if an officer can ask to be a trooper from the start, i assume they can.

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
wizzar

Post by wizzar »

Thanks for the clarification,

I must admit if I had undergone sbs training and given a pen not a rifle I would be slightly ticked off :D
Tdivers

Post by Tdivers »

wizzar wrote:Thanks for the clarification,

I must admit if I had undergone sbs training and given a pen not a rifle I would be slightly ticked off :D

Isn't the Pen mightier than the Sword or at least i've heard that saying somewhere....... :soldier_tongue:
Ozzin

Post by Ozzin »

I thought it was if you passed out as an officer you were promoted to Captain or you had to be Captain+ already because Special Forces platoons require a more senior commander due to the nature of their role.

Honestly I wouldn't mind passing out as a trooper if I went in an Officer i've honestly always found the rank of Sergeant more appealing than Major :')
chilli

Post by chilli »

yes you receive the rank of captain,though most applicants choose trooper, as squad leaders are picked on ability and leadership,and are usually former sergeants,until 1985 officers were not allowed to go through the selection process,and graduates often deffer-ed,there rank to join, some who remained after that,if they had risen to the rank of sergeant,would then accept their commission at the rank of captain,or so i was told :roll: