Share This Page:

Languages

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
Flintstone

Languages

Post by Flintstone »

Morning Gents,

I am seriously considering taking up a language to learn from a basic to fluent standard. I have one of many options, which include a basic understanding of French, German, Arabic (standard), Pashto and Russian. My reason for wanting to pursue learning another language is to better myself as a soldier. Basicallly, what I am asking for is some idea's on which would be the most beneficial language to learn for upcoming conflicts and which languages will always be sought after. I understand it will take years to become fluent in some languages, and that is exactly why I am spending time researching rather than committing myself to something that may or may not be of use.

Thanks, Fred. :2gunfire:
Wholley

Re: Languages

Post by Wholley »

Strangely, the most popular second language being taught in the west is Mandarin Chinese.
A second language will certainly help if it's within your country's realm of interest.
Unless your T.E.Lawrence being blond,blue eyed and over six feet will not help you blend with the locals in the Arabic speaking countries :D
Flintstone

Re: Languages

Post by Flintstone »

Indeed, I think I'm probably going to end up doing Arabic as it is a good base to work from once I have mastered it...in several years time :p I get asked now and then when I'm on holiday wether I'm local, pretty much a perfect fit physically for most Arabic speaking countries :) do you speak any other languages wholley?