Share This Page:

Potential Royal Marines Fitness Schedule

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
Baz

Post by Baz »

From what I've seen there are some low results on the push up phase of gym test one.

If you follow the PRMC fitness schedule it will get you fit enough to pass, but not fit enough not to struggle.

When I did mine in 2001 I was doing the a different version of the current PRMC fitness schedule.

I was doing

week 1 & 2:

Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri & Sat

10 press ups
15 sit ups
10 dips
10 Squat thrusts

for 5 circuits instead of 3.

Run 15 mins mon & fri
Run 4 X 90 seconds hard + 90 seconds jog (recovery) wed & sat

week 3 & 4:

15 press ups
20 sit ups
15 dips
15 Squat thrusts

Run 20 mins mon & fri
Run 5 X 60 seconds hard + 60 seconds jog (recovery) wed & sat

week 5 & 6:

20 press ups
25 sit ups
20 dips
20 Squat thrusts

Run 25 mins mon & fri
Run 6 X 45 seconds hard + 30 seconds jog (recovery) wed & sat

week 7 & 8:

25 press ups
30 sit ups
25 dips
25 Squat thrusts

Run 30 mins mon & fri
Run 7 X 30 Seconds work + 20 seconds (recovery) wed & sat

swim for 30 mins breaststroke, interspersed with front crawl sprints at least twice a week

Baz
Commando_Wanabe

Post by Commando_Wanabe »

Hey did this schedule realy work for you? did you pass your PRMC following this regime?
Baz

Post by Baz »

Yes. I passed.

Baz
HiddEN

Post by HiddEN »

There is no perfect thing you can follow. I think people need to learn before they do anything, how to asses your own fitness. Once you got that mastered, do what ever you want as long as your getting the gains.

Me, I do my pushups, pullups, sits, dips mon - fri. In the morning. I just time myself and do 2 min of each, and do as many as I can in that 2 min. Everyday I shoot for that extra few, it all adds up I found I got better very quickly.

In the afternoon I do some weights, nothing major, just enough to keep my strength up. I concentrate on my lats (for improving pull ups) my chest (for pushups) and I do alot, and I mean ALOT of situp variations as I think core strength is key to success in these exercices.

I then do Thaiboxing 5 days a week at night, which I find helps me alot with cardio, and explosive bursts of energy.

Then obviously I add in runs throughout the week, and change things up from time to time to keep it fun. I work in a kickboxing gym so Im lucky in a sense that I have all day to train and still get paid.

So many sit and worry about there program and if its gonna work, I think we all do that to and extent, but yeah gotta get over it, and get out there and do something. Dont worry about what works for one person, find what works for you.

wee, my speach for the day.
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

Yep, I spent more time reading, thinking and planning than I do doing (Piss Poor Planning Prevents Proper Preperation...no, I cant remember what it is :roll: ).
I was thinking of starting thai boxing, whats it like? I used to do karate a few years back, is it similar in anyway? Im also going to start rugby again (star winger in my school 3rds team :wink: (although gotta admit, we didnt have a 2nds team and we were too crap to be them...)).
Hopefully these will help with my not-so-explosive power at the moment. Would it be worth starting thai-boxing if it would only be for 1 or 2 months?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Prior Planning and Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

I work off a 5k/10k running plan, with one hard 1hr long circuit session a week additional. Plus I do LOADS of stretching , helps a lot.
cruicent

Post by cruicent »

Doc wrote:Prior Planning and Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Ah right, that was it, thanks Doc.
HiddEN

Post by HiddEN »

cruicent wrote: I was thinking of starting thai boxing, whats it like? I used to do karate a few years back, is it similar in anyway?
Its a very different thing then Karate, but I would say if you have the chance go for it, its not going to hurt yeah. In a few months, you may not become bruce lee, but you will at least get the physical gains of the sport. Then again, Im sorta biased, been thaiboxing for about 6 years, and I work at a kickboxing gym.

Its not gonna hurt yeah, I would give it a go.

Brad
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

I work off a 5k/10k running plan, with one hard 1hr long circuit session a week additional. Plus I do LOADS of stretching , helps a lot.

I worked off one of them for a while my running improved greatly but because i was concentrating on my running i didnt do much on my upper body and i lost alot of my strength and now ive got to work even harder to get it back. :evil:

Dom
Daka

Post by Daka »

Hi, firstly can i say i found the fitness regime a lot of use, so cheers.

A few questions.

Can someone describe proper form on press ups to me please? I've had different advice from different people.

Some say "elbows in" does that literally mean tight against your torso, so your triceps are working much more?

Also, it states that a couple of times you should be doin 3 mile runs right, how fast, is it a jog or should it be pretty fast?

cheers guys
cruicent

Post by cruicent »

Daka wrote: Can someone describe proper form on press ups to me please? I've had different advice from different people.

Some say "elbows in" does that literally mean tight against your torso, so your triceps are working much more?
Just like you said, hands shoulderish width apart, elbows by your sides for heavy tricep work. You should be almost hitting your chest off the ground.
Daka wrote: Also, it states that a couple of times you should be doin 3 mile runs right, how fast, is it a jog or should it be pretty fast?
Its a run, you should be able to do it in around 20mins for prmc taking into account being you will be tired before the run because of sprints and things before hand, but to pass the run its in under 22.5mins.
Daka

Post by Daka »

right so three miles in under twenty?
cheers bud, all this time i've been doin press ups wrong.

thanks a lot mate
batess01

Post by batess01 »

I can do about 100 normal pressups, but with marine pressups i can only do 40.
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

I downloaded the Vo2 max bleep test to my Mp3, and im practicing it after my 3 mile run, following on with the press-ups and sit-ups after the bleep test.

I dun my 3 miles at 19:47:24, achieved 12.3 on Vo2 max bleep test. and on my press-ups i got 40 in 2minutess, and 64sit-ups in 2minutess. i had 2-4 minutes rest between each activity. The rain was pooring bearing in mind (typical english weather)

I know i got to improve, but i figured i would share this with the guys going on PRMC, as its an idea that i thought would help, well i hope it is going to help because i am doing it. lol.

All constructive criticism will be taken into account

KJ