Share This Page:

Joining the TA

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Terry K

Joining the TA

Post by Terry K »

Hello guys,

I am thinking about joining the TA, and progressing through as a Military Police Soldier.
I just wanted to ask a few questions.

I wouldn't consider my self to be physically fit at the moment, but i want to get in shape, and then train with the TA on weekends and bank holidays.

I would like to know if the fitness tests are difficult.
Would i be shipped out, or is it my choice when i leave?
If i did train just on weekends, how long until i would be fully qualified?
What is the process involved in joining, and how easy is it?

I'm both excited about joining, but worried i may not enjoy it. Could someone tell me about their experiences when joining the TA?

Thanks for reading, i look forward to reading your replies.
Amphibian

Re: Joining the TA

Post by Amphibian »

Hello Terry, welcome to the forums. Firstly, I can only help with regard to fitness and deployment questions. As far as I am aware, you are given the option to deploy and are not forced to deploy. I would say though, it would be good to join with the interest of putting the skills learnt into action ;) Secondly, with regard to fitness, I would advise that you dedicate yourself to a fitness regime that consistantly improves your fitness. You should strive to be the fittest you can be.

I imagine someone will be along to give you more advice soon.

Best of luck with everything.
"Chin up, crack on"
Terry K

Post by Terry K »

Amphibian wrote:Hello Terry, welcome to the forums. Firstly, I can only help with regard to fitness and deployment questions. As far as I am aware, you are given the option to deploy and are not forced to deploy. I would say though, it would be good to join with the interest of putting the skills learnt into action ;) Secondly, with regard to fitness, I would advise that you dedicate yourself to a fitness regime that consistantly improves your fitness. You should strive to be the fittest you can be.

I imagine someone will be along to give you more advice soon.

Best of luck with everything.
Cheers for the reply, I am currently planning on doing this with my brother.
He will be joining regular in March.
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

Even better if you have someone to train with. It'll certainly make training more enjoyable :)
"Chin up, crack on"
Terry K

Post by Terry K »

I have tried it alone in the past, and failed because i went it alone.
I feel this is the time i shed weigh, and gain muscle.
I am quite overweight, and have lowered self esteem lately, even though i weigh the least i ever have.
sheriff1990

Post by sheriff1990 »

well from what i remember from when i done the fitness weekend (from which i failed)
you do
- static lift (chained down bar hooked up to computer to measure force of lift)
- static lift (a weight machine like you would see in the gym, where you have the lift as much weight as you can using proper technique from the ground to over head)
-jerry can 100m (two jerry cans filled with water which you then have to walk 100m at a certain pace, you have to keep that pace up and cant go faster nor slower then that of the guy leading)
2.4km run (if you want to go for infantry they say aim for 9minutes, you might get let off at 10minutes, but for anything else you have to do better then 14minutes, this is what i failed on, but i didnt do any fitness prior to the fitness weekend)
and then the last one is the chin ups, how many you can do, pretty straight forward, aswell from what i remember you dont need to do a set amount, so long as you do at least one you should be ok. although aim to do more.

Hope this helps you out.
I my self am getting my fitness back up and aim to try again to join the TA.