Share This Page:

how much can you earn each week in the TA?

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
ste28uk

how much can you earn each week in the TA?

Post by ste28uk »

I dont have a job and was wondering if I joined the TA could I train there say 5 or 6 day's a week? if so how much could I earn as a regular soldier :-?
Wholley

Re: how much can you earn each week in the TA?

Post by Wholley »

I have moved this to the correct forum.
The only way to make a full-time living with the Services is to join as a regular.The TA is not designed to support the unemployed.
ste28uk

Post by ste28uk »

I was told you get paid the same amount in the TA as in the regular army,so if I went to the TA 6 day's a week,wouldn't that be enough to live off?
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

As I tried to say the TA is not a full-time job.Weekends and summer camp.
You will have to pass the same phys. and aptitude tests as the regulars and you may fail.It's not something you just turn up for.
Tab

Post by Tab »

If you are sent out on a tour of duty to Afghanistan then you will be paid as a soldier
ste28uk

Post by ste28uk »

well it say's you can go in as much day's as you want and you get paid the same as a regular soldier,so I think you must be mistaken.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Read this and pay special attention tothe" volunteer" and"Part time"passages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territoria ... )#Overview
Tab

Post by Tab »

If you google TA Pay you will get all the answers
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

ste28uk wrote:well it say's you can go in as much day's as you want and you get paid the same as a regular soldier,so I think you must be mistaken.
As a PSI within a TA Regt I can tell you that there is a limit to days in the TA

19 days National TA
26 days Regional TA

I see this all the time where the TA try and use it as a full time/part time job.
The more people who try and use more days than they are entitled to are using up cash we dont have!!!
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
sheriff1990

Post by sheriff1990 »

the TA will train on a weekday normally evening, and then one weekend of each month, they say that you need to do at least 26 days of training a year. or the 2 week summer camp or both weekends and summer camp. (from what i was told at TA centre)

in all fairness though, if your aim is to go into combat, id say take every chance you can to train, as TA training is sub-par when compared to regulars.

in terms of pay, you will get full day rate when doing the weekends or 2 week camp, and then either 1/3 or 1/4 the day rate for parade nights (again from what i was told) +travel expense.

If you wish you transfer from TA to regular. then (from what i was told) you spend one year in TA to be able to transfer into regular. ive been told two different sides to this part though and havnt been given a clear answer, so when/if you wish to transfer from TA to regular you may or may not have to do the initial phase one training. although i have seen a few guys who have transferred and wished to do the training any way.
Nero

Post by Nero »

ste28uk wrote:well it say's you can go in as much day's as you want and you get paid the same as a regular soldier,so I think you must be mistaken.
Don't accuse someone that is actually a serving member or has served to be 'mistaken', after all you came here for advice and now you are telling him he is wrong...
stevenholmes

Post by stevenholmes »

you can only do up too 27 days a year or so in the TA . you will more than likely spend more than you earn (thats if you want your own boots accesories ect) but if you do pass training its a brilliant way to decide to go reg or get a trade within the army and of course theres the skills and experience from training that you recieve as well as working in your civi life.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Remember the British Government never gives much away except to the politicians