Share This Page:

Thinking about joining up to the TA

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Coupe2T

Thinking about joining up to the TA

Post by Coupe2T »

Hi All,

As you can no doubt see i've just joined on here. Basically I am considering joining the TA, I am planning on going along to a local Army Careers office place some time soon but just wondered if you guys could give me a bit of info/advice first up.

What sort of condition do you need to meet in order to get in etc? What tests/checks etc do they complete on you?

Also, What sort of options do you get with the TA? I work full time as it is and I work on a shift basis, So I am concerned that my shift work might interfere if the TA stuff has to be on a set weekend type thing etc?

Any info you can give me would be much appreciated. :D
Coupe2T

Re: Thinking about joining up to the TA

Post by Coupe2T »

No one at all able to give me any advice/pointers etc!?!
ChrisP69

Post by ChrisP69 »

You need to be fit, what ever level your at you want to be aiming higher alot of the tests on selection are based on effort so work hard. You will need to do the 1.5mile run in under 14minutes and no walking and you will do a jerry can carry 20kg in each arm for 180m I dont think thats a pass or fail but its not hard just make sure you got dry hands. The only tests you do is the BARB test which isnt anything to panic about its all done on a touch screen and a medical. As for options depends what you want to do? If you have a trade you could use it in the engineers, just dont expect to get a trade for TA Engineers. Lastly you will get all dates in advance then its up to you to fit work around those dates.
Feel free to correct me if im wrong people.
Coupe2T

Post by Coupe2T »

Hmm, ok, need to improve my running time slightly then, doing about 15minutes for a mile and half at the moment so still need to shave it back a bit. Not long started running though so that shouldn't take much to do. Jerry Can run sounds easy enough, 180m isn't too far and 20kg is a reasonable weight to carry I think.

Sounds good. Cheers for the info, i'll get cracking! :)
ChrisP69

Post by ChrisP69 »

yeh dont worry about the cans its it a run its walking, just keep pace with the pti. Shudn't take long to get down from 15mins but keep aiming for 10:30 cause thats what your need by time you pass out. The fitter you are the easier phase 1 will be, I did 10:10 in selection but others in my troop just made it in and there finding endurance tough.
Coupe2T

Post by Coupe2T »

Yeah 10:30 sounds like a bit more of a push! lol. Planning on working hard over the next 2-3 months though to get into a good shape before I full on go for selection etc so I can't see any reason why I can't get down to that sort of speed. Hopefully anyway!

I've got a meeting next week with an Army Careers Advisor person local to me so will get some more info off of him as well and then decide what I want to do etc! :D

Any other specific exercises they push you hard on? ie do they expect you to be able to do like 50 press ups and 50 sit ups type thing as well? Press ups i'm not too bad at but i'm friggin useless at sit ups! Always have been! lol.
ChrisP69

Post by ChrisP69 »

Sit ups and press ups will come after selection and will be part of your PFA when your in, but you might aswell start now and get some practise on heaves (Pull up with a under handed grip). Because there on selection its not pass or fail but you wanna look your best.
http://www.armyfit.mod.uk/
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

without sounding like im 'having a go' but im of the old school of thought that the army needs to be 1030 or less. lol. ALL round. fair enough paras aim for sub 9 mins (which i got) but thats us lot. my training mantra applies to both stabs (ta) and regular. (doing same job - you aspire to same phys levels). so my friend that in mind you get urself in but make sure ur in the best shape ready to be moulded into even better shape lol. honestly mate youll love the TA. however if ur unit is a glorified drink den - f@#k em off and say your joining 4 Para 'far more proffesional and FAR better drinkers lol'
'Every man an Emperor'
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

The TA do a PFA not a PFT, its not Bounty linked (which it should be) All they need to do is attempt it to gain a pass!!

Its a massive Bugbear of mine!!!!
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)