Share This Page:

23 Regiment

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
GaryScott

23 Regiment

Post by GaryScott »

Hey guys...just joined this forum, and I did have a browse through, but didn't exactly find the answer to this question. I apologise if it's already been asked!! I haven't applied to the TA before; to be honest, I want to work on my fitness for a couple of months before I do, but there's a 23 Reg. SAS TA unit a few miles from here, and I was wondering if it's possible to apply straight to them? I know what the entry requirements are for basic TA recruits, but what extra is there on the entry for 23? Any help you could give me would be great.
just_me

Post by just_me »

http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=18 Look around that forum, there are a few topics covering 23 and 21 SAS.
GaryScott

Post by GaryScott »

Ah, I thank you very much! Wish I'd looked there first. :)
just_me

Post by just_me »

No problem. 8)
- I just re-read your post and saw you asked if you could apply direct to the Reg. near you - don't quote me on this but I'm sure you would go to your nearest Reg. that matches what you wanted to do.
- http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/index.htm
alex4013

Post by alex4013 »

If you have no previous military experience they will almost definatly advise you to get at least CIC (Combat Infantrymans COurse) under your belt first.. This would mean joining your local TA Infantry which for East Kilbride you have 6 Scots..

Mortar Platoon in Ayr..

You also have elements of C company in Motherwell (location shouldn't be problem for you if you are looking at 23.........) and hotspur st glasgow (regt. HQ.)

try this.. http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regts/s ... /index.htm

There's also 4 Para in glasgow, Houldsworth St...

http://www.4para.co.uk/home/index.php?I ... om_content

Your preferred unit really does prefer you to have some experience these days..

Although you're best to phone 23 and ask...
GaryScott

Post by GaryScott »

Okie dokes, I emailed UKSF and got a definitive answer: they would expect someone to go to their local TA centre and get some military experience first, and after that, they're more than welcome to apply for the 21 & 23 regiments. Thank you to you folks who answered me, and I hope this helps out other people who are wanting to go down this route, too. In actual fact, after talking with a friend of mine, I'm going to get some serious training done then go in for the regulars, not the TA. I need a challenge, and I'm not particularly enamoured with my current job, anyway. Can't wait!
alex4013

Post by alex4013 »

Good on you GS, best of luck with that.

Any thoughts on what Regiment/Corps you are going to join?
GaryScott

Post by GaryScott »

Thank you for the good wishes, Alex! I was thinking the infantry corps....it's always had a certain draw for me, and I know it sounds crazy to want to join as a rifleman, especially with all the crap going on in the world, but it's what I think I would do best in.
alex4013

Post by alex4013 »

Hey GS,.. I think your local Regular infantry would be 2 Scots, Royal Highland Fusiliers.. They recruit from Glasgow and northward.. I think!!

Theres loads of potential for challenges in any regiment/corps these days,.. theres engineers, drivers etc being involved in firefights in afghan etc.. loads out there..

you could try regular para regt if you want that little bit extra challenge of p company and parachuting..

Get down to your local recruitment office and have a chat.

It can move pretty quick, you may find yourself in training before Xmas..
just_me

Post by just_me »

GaryScott wrote:Thank you for the good wishes, Alex! I was thinking the infantry corps....it's always had a certain draw for me, and I know it sounds crazy to want to join as a rifleman, especially with all the crap going on in the world, but it's what I think I would do best in.
Don't think it's crazy, it's all nice and easy to join the infantry when nothing's going on, but for some reason when there actually is a war not as many people step up.