Share This Page:

Selection Test

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Benwell

Selection Test

Post by Benwell »

I've been invited to a 1 day Selection test on 19th April

Is the test easy to pass

What do they look for?
What is the minimum they accept?

I'm 26 and I just starting running for the first time since I left school

I manage a 1.5 mile run in around 13min
Tartan_Terrier

Re: Selection Test

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

benwell wrote:I've been invited to a 1 day Selection test on 19th April

Is the test easy to pass

What do they look for?
What is the minimum they accept?

I'm 26 and I just starting running for the first time since I left school

I manage a 1.5 mile run in around 13min
The minimum they should accept is your maximum, they are looking to see that you're giving it your all.

That said, your 1.5 mile time should be acceptable.

Best of luck.

T_T
alex4013

Post by alex4013 »

As a bare minimum your 1.5 mile time should be ok (as a starting point,..) however don't forget a bft (basic fitness test) is actually 3 miles, 1.5 out as a squad in 15mins then best effort back individually..

They'll also take you for a warm up before hand (that's the bit i was always knackered on!!) which if you've only just started running after a decade or so you may have trouble with..

Not trying to put you off mate, far from it!! Just advising it isnt a case of "There's a mile and a half of flat road, you have 15 minutes, GO!"

Running is one of the easiest forms of fitness to see rapid gains in..

My bft time went from 13.5 minutes to 9.5 in around 5 weeks..

I was actually training for an 8 mile test in 64 minutes..

I was advised by brother in law, ex Army PTI, to do 2 miles the first week.. Mon -thurs just get the distance done, friday best effort and time it.
Same the next week, if you beat your time the second friday, move onto 3 miles etc..

You'll soon be surpassing the bft point and wondering what the fuss and worry was about for it!!

The TA website, http://www.armyfit.mod.uk/AboutTheTA.aspx , is good.. you'll get a good training programme on there,.. also the PTI's on your assesment day will tell you whats required to improve.

What are you joining anyway?

best of luck mate, i hope to be back to it soon as I have a new job i'm waiting to hear about to get me off these damn shifts which have me working most weekends in no real "TA friendly" pattern!!
Benwell

Post by Benwell »

Hi

I just wanted to know the min thats required, so I can make sure at least I reach this. But I will do my best to do a lot better.

What do they normally fail you on?

I'm going in as Logistics Support and Reme

Barb Test booked 27th March
Medical 3rd April

Selection test 19th April
alex4013

Post by alex4013 »

People fail because they're not fit enough and don't believe in themselves to dig that extra bit out.

I would highly recommend aiming just to get as fit as you can.. Very general I know but the minimum standards are exactly that... minimum.

No point coming in last when you can be higher..

No matter how well you do, just keep telling yourself you can do better.

Onwards ever upwards!!

As i have had some experience of a Logistics/REME detatchment.. I would say you will come into a lot of contact with some more unfit people than in your average infantry unit.. However,.. its you that counts. Sort yourself out, let everyone else worry about themselves.. drinks in the JRC that night... chasing skirt etc..

If/when I get a mon-fri job again I'm looking to join my local infantry platoon.. (6 Scots).. I want a wee bit more than a drinking club.. (I know I said earlier that TA are no longer STABs etc but...)..

Anyway mate. best of luck again.

One things for sure, if you haven't already,.. you'll get all the driving licenses you want from Logistics/REME.. even motor bike!
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Alex, the BFT is long gone!

It's the PFT now.

The run part of the PFT is an 800m warm up lap (approx. 5 minutes), then 2400m best effort (under 10 1/2 minutes).
Duck You Sucker

TA 1.5 mile run

Post by Duck You Sucker »

Alright Out There TA Selection Run Is 1.5 mile Run Under 14mins With Half Mile Warm Up First . I Passed Last Weekend And Im Over 40 Just Do Your Best And TRAIN BEFORE YOU GO Or You May Just Fail Selection .... :evil: [/b]
adamb

Post by adamb »

I didn't know TA took people at that age, whats the Max age for TA?Never knew. I think reg is 26yrs 11months?
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

Emz

Post by Emz »

Are there any girls going to harrogate on the 4th of january ?
Konassin

Re: TA 1.5 mile run

Post by Konassin »

Duck You Sucker wrote:Alright Out There TA Selection Run Is 1.5 mile Run Under 14mins With Half Mile Warm Up First . I Passed Last Weekend And Im Over 40 Just Do Your Best And TRAIN BEFORE YOU GO Or You May Just Fail Selection .... :evil: [/b]
The minimum time is dependant on your age and gender. For our 'risk reduction run' - which is the first test we had before joining - us lads below 29 had to get something like 13:30 or below. After that we needed to get 10:30 or below to pass our PFT.