Share This Page:

131 Independent Commando Squadron RE (V)

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
sjuggins

131 Independent Commando Squadron RE (V)

Post by sjuggins »

Guys,

Are there any guys on here that are members of the above unit or know people who are? I'm still looking at alternatives in case I can't commit to RMR Cambridge (due to work promotion) and 131 looks appealing to both the physical and technical side of my nature, plus there's an office nearby I can work out of.

Thanks,
Stu.
mfat_man

Re: 131 Independent Commando Squadron RE (V)

Post by mfat_man »

sjuggins wrote:Guys,

Is there any guys on here that are members of the above unit or know people who are? I'm still looking at alternatives in case I can't commit to RMR Cambridge (due to work promotion) and 131 looks appealing to both the physical and technical side of my nature, plus there's an office nearby I can work out of.

Thanks,
Stu.
Have a search under the units link there is an article on there about 131, this was written by someone I know but sorry not in contact with anymore.
sjuggins

Post by sjuggins »

I'm sorry to be a complete divvy :oops: but where is the units link page located?

I had a search on the other forum and came across a post where somebody quoted something written by "Mr "DJ" - Ex Senior NCO" of 131. Is this the page you were referring to?

Thanks again.
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Perhaps you should try www.tanearyou.org.uk
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

sjuggins wrote:I'm sorry to be a complete divvy :oops: but where is the units link page located?

I had a search on the other forum and came across a post where somebody quoted something written by "Mr "DJ" - Ex Senior NCO" of 131. Is this the page you were referring to?

Thanks again.
Yes it's DJ.
sjuggins

Post by sjuggins »

Thanks guys. I've had a look at the tanearyou site which is good, never knew it existed.

I've given them a bell this morning and going down on Tuesday for a chat.
sonofagun

Post by sonofagun »

I am a current member of 300tp 131 commando in Plymouth, any info you need just drop me a message or reply to this post
sjuggins

Post by sjuggins »

Sonofagun - You have PM
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

sonofagun wrote:I am a current member of 300tp 131 commando in Plymouth, any info you need just drop me a message or reply to this post
Thanks. If you want to post any up to date stuff on 131 feel free to do so.
sjuggins

Post by sjuggins »

I'll post some of what sonofagun sent to me (many thanks again), I've removed anything not needed. If there's an objection to me posting this I'll remove it immediately.

Sonofagun sent the following:-

The joining process is fairly simple, although i must stress that there is a lot of paperwork to be done and processed before things really kick off. This i think is one of the main reasons people are put off as without your paperwork completed and processed you cannot begin training. There are no specific tests to join other than being keen and willing, and have the mental attitude to stick things out, the medical is fairly basic and nothing to worry about unless you have outstanding or past injury that might prevent you from physical activity.

I have to say it joining 131 has so far been one of the best decisions i have ever made. I too was going to join an rmr unit as i come from a bootneck family but when i found 131 i found the best of both worlds!

The training we recieve is initially the same as any other TA unit, once you have completed this you then have the choice to complete trade training or go on to commando training, which ever way round you want to do things, but the troop seniors tend to encourage doing the commando course first. Trade training as standard is combat engineer training which involves huge amounts from dems training to bridge building and beyond! The training in the army never ceases, and if theres a course you want to do be it driving, diving or blowing things sky high the lads at 131 will try there hardest to get you on the courses!

131 overall is one of the best and elite TA units you could join in the UK, serving as engineer support for 59 commando there is no lack of getting stuck in and we tend to be deployed much more often than other TA units, and will be being deployed to afghanistan next winter in support of 3 commando royal marines.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

sjuggins wrote:I'll post some of what sonofagun sent to me (many thanks again), I've removed anything not needed. If there's an objection to me posting this I'll remove it immediately.

Sonofagun sent the following:-

The joining process is fairly simple, although i must stress that there is a lot of paperwork to be done and processed before things really kick off. This i think is one of the main reasons people are put off as without your paperwork completed and processed you cannot begin training. There are no specific tests to join other than being keen and willing, and have the mental attitude to stick things out, the medical is fairly basic and nothing to worry about unless you have outstanding or past injury that might prevent you from physical activity.

I have to say it joining 131 has so far been one of the best decisions i have ever made. I too was going to join an rmr unit as i come from a bootneck family but when i found 131 i found the best of both worlds!

The training we recieve is initially the same as any other TA unit, once you have completed this you then have the choice to complete trade training or go on to commando training, which ever way round you want to do things, but the troop seniors tend to encourage doing the commando course first. Trade training as standard is combat engineer training which involves huge amounts from dems training to bridge building and beyond! The training in the army never ceases, and if theres a course you want to do be it driving, diving or blowing things sky high the lads at 131 will try there hardest to get you on the courses!

131 overall is one of the best and elite TA units you could join in the UK, serving as engineer support for 59 commando there is no lack of getting stuck in and we tend to be deployed much more often than other TA units, and will be being deployed to afghanistan next winter in support of 3 commando royal marines.
Thanks for the info.

My pal DJ certainly enjoyed his time in 131 :wink:
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

I know an officer in this unit, was talking to him last night about joining. If u want any information regarding joining as an officer I may be able to lend a hand.