Share This Page:

Which TA Centre, Help Please

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
nufc_bhoy

Which TA Centre, Help Please

Post by nufc_bhoy »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has some advice for me. I recently got deffered from the regular Army due to an anemia problem with my blood. I have to wait 13 months from today, before re-applying. However i am fine now, this is a precautionary thing. So in the mean time i was thinking of applying for the TA. But can't decide on which Ta centre i should apply for.
When i applied for the regular Army, i was trying to get into the Royal Engineers to get myself a trade, then trying for P-company. So i thought the obvious choice was trying for the Ta Royal Engineers, however someone told me that you dont actually dont get a trade from the ta, so i was thinking about applying for 4 Para. My Fitness isnt too bad but, i dont know if its up to Para standards, but im sure with the right help from the friendly Para PTI's :wink: i would be able to get up to scratch.
To be honest because i wouldnt be doing it full time i would prefer to do the soldiery stuff more, but have more chance to go away on operations. So i was looking for any helpful advice on trying to decide on which one to go for. The 4 Para Ta centre is about 10 mile up the motorway (15 mins from me) and the RE TA centre is about 20 miles away(25 mins away), both are okay because i could drive to either. My fitness scores are:

1.5 miles: 8.10
3 miles: 20.01
Bleep test: 10.3
Press-ups: 38
Sit-ups in 2mins: 51
Pull-ups: 11
"First is first. That's the way I was brought up. Second or third are nowhere."

Personal Best's:

3 miles: 17.56
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

I think you may find that the deferral applies to the TA too, so don't be too disappointed if they say no.

If they'll let you in, why not go for 4 Para? Your fitness looks to be okay, and you say the infantry stuff appeals more to you.

Go for it, the worst they can say is no.

T_T
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

look into it but im pretty sure the TA and more so 4 para will not take you if the regs won't
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
nufc_bhoy

Post by nufc_bhoy »

Hi, thanks for the replies. For the army i know you have to go up to A.D.S.C. and they send away for your doctors notes, but on the ta website it says well invite you for a meical, so i was hoping that they wouldnt away for my doctors notes, obviously if they asked i would have to say that i had a problem, but if they didnt ask i wouldnt tell. So does anyone know what the medical is like for the ta, that would be much appreciated. Thanks again for your replies.

Personal Best's:

dogsoldier

Post by dogsoldier »

My TA medicle was the same as the regs as far as i am aware, the forms etc for joining are the same as reg forms, with the same declerations of health issues.

You also sign to allow TA access to your medical records.

Better to ask the unit you want to apply to and be up front, as one of the Q's on the form are 'have you been refused entry to the military in the past' you will then be asked to give details.

If you lie it wont look good if your caught out, its only a few months to wait any way.

Also the new training system could take the best part of a year to get through (6 weekends, then 2 weeks cms camp).

My weekends took 5 months, then couldnt book onto a cms camp for another 2 months.

If you go infantry you will have 9 weekends to complete before cms camp.
Weakness of character is the only defect that cannot be amended. ~ Francois de La Rouchefoucald
nufc_bhoy

Post by nufc_bhoy »

Thanks for all the replies. I was at the Jobs conference thing in glasgow secc, both the army and ta rrt guys where there. They informed me that both the medical requirments are the same, only the ta one was less intence, so ive just decided to bide my time and be patient. A year isnt that long away, and if anything itll give me more time to get fit and build up. I was thinking of trying for a running club in my area, or something like that, or entering some road races, just to try and keep it interesting, just wondering if you have any ideas. Thanks.

Personal Best's: