Share This Page:

TA To Be Cut

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
mercury

Post by mercury »

If you do get called up then the army will make up the difference in pay , and hopefully allowances. Also your employer has to keep your job open for your return, at least thats how the SABRE guys pitched it to us
"certa cito"
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

with regard the people joining the TA knowing full well they can be deployed on ops: yeah true they are told, but when it comes to the crunch they dont want to go.

also standards for the most part are not maintained.

people fail CFT's and APWT's all the time and get their bounties.
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
mercury

Post by mercury »

Hmmm , sorry spooky , with regard to myself only I disagree with everything in that post . Of course I can only speak for myself and I do see where you are coming from
"certa cito"
Tab

Post by Tab »

Mercury,
Some people in the TA have very good jobs in civy street and no the government will make up the difference between a soldiers pay and a large six figure mortgage, also if you are self employed just what happens to your business. Also if a soldier had been in the TA for any length time he would expect to be called to the Colours in a National Emergency, not to cover the cuts in the Regular Army just becuse the Government has slashed it to the bone.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

mercury wrote:Hmmm , sorry spooky , with regard to myself only I disagree with everything in that post . Of course I can only speak for myself and I do see where you are coming from
yeah sorry mate, my bad - i neglected to put the word 'some' in there.

i too am TA and am quite well aware of the consequences of being in.
i make sure i pass my tests too.

although you have a point tab, the motivation for the governments use of the TA should not be in question by those mobilised soldiers. as we all know, its not for us to question (!) our orders, except under very specific circumstances.

i agree too with the job situation, im self employed. thing is i knew i was self employed and have bills to pay when i joined. if someone knows something about joining the reserve forces will mess with their lives more than for the usual bod, they should not do it.

lifestyles need to be compatable with the reserve forces, thats an issue i dont think gets enough attention.
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
lew

Post by lew »

Spooky wrote: lifestyles need to be compatable with the reserve forces, thats an issue i dont think gets enough attention.
Well said. If you join you have to understand that you could be deployed somewhere that isn’t quite the ritz. If your earning allot of money and don’t want to lose that, go and play paintball at the weekends or something.

The only problem I see is standards; if I were to be deployed I would not try to get out of it. I signed up, and accepted everything that comes with it. But I wouldn’t be happy, id be s**t scared as I know the training I’ve got is poor quality. The problem is training days are being cut in the TA as well, there are less courses available and no where near enough time spent on basic soldiering skills that are in great need with the support arms.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Tab

Post by Tab »

I don't doubt the people that serve in the TA, but the point I have been trying to get across is that many people joined to learn some thing about the Army and to their bit in a National Emergency. Well is the Army being cut to the bone a National Emergency that needs the TA being called up, or should the Government stop getting rid of Infantry Battalions and cover the short falls with this man power. I have also noticed that there is going to be very little change in the TA from todays announcement in the Commons