Share This Page:

WC Athol Stanhope Forbes b 1912 d 1981

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
andygibb

WC Athol Stanhope Forbes b 1912 d 1981

Post by andygibb »

It is believed Athol was the son of a relative of mine, one Isobel Gibb (who became Isobel Barr then Isobel Forbes). I am currently waiting for Athol's birth certificate coming to me to confirm this.

While there is much information online about Athol's RAF career (particularly as one of "The Few" in the Battle of Britain) and I have a copy of his book as well as Jimmy Corbin's, I am posting here to see if anyone has any further information on him, for example his life after the war, information on his wife (who I believe to be Lorraine) and of any of his children ( I know he had son called Athol Stuart Forbes born 1939).

I also believe he had a brother Angus, who I also believe may have spent some time in prison.

If anyone knows any information that my help me, then please contact me.

Best wishes

Andy Gibb
Fort William
Scotland
andygibb

Re: WC Athol Stanhope Forbes b 1912 d 1981

Post by andygibb »

Just had an email from GRO telling me there is no birth record for Athol Stanhope Forbes at Hanover Square in London anytime between 1911 and 1913 even although internet records of his RAF career all show him as having been born there on 4th April 1912.

This really is a problem as I am trying to establish Athol's mothers name, as it is believed my great aunt was his mother.

Anyone got any idea where I can go next to find this fact out?

Thanks

Andy
Tab

Re: WC Athol Stanhope Forbes b 1912 d 1981

Post by Tab »

It may be worth your while going into Ancestry for a month and searching all the records there. They have all all the birth, deaths and marriage certificates there and most of the military records including what medals they have won. If you go down this path make sure that they know you only want it for a month and get a cancellation number