Share This Page:

Apprenticeships

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
dd

Apprenticeships

Post by dd »

Hi i have just noticed that the RAF are doing apprenticeships, but the website doesn't give much information on these.

So i was wondering if anyone on here could provide anymore information, like:

-What age do you have to be?
-What happens after the apprenticeship is over, do you have to commit to the RAF or can you then go and work in a civie job?
-When do the apprenticeships start?

Cheers
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Best bet is to give your local AFCO a ring and ask them. I imagine they're fairly committing though, can't see the RAF forking out to train somebody so they can then take all those nice new skills and work elsewhere!
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
Dawnie

Post by Dawnie »

From what I can gather the training for some trades provide civilian recognised qualifications and therefore have been named "apprenticeships".

I would also hazard a guess that a 3 year return of service will be expected, meaning that you will have to stay in the RAF for a further 3 years after qualifying.

As for when they start, it will depend on what trade you are looking at.
Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.
coopesh56

Post by coopesh56 »

yeh, you have to join the RAF for a period of nine years anyway, for example if your joining as an AMM your trade training etc is classed as an apprenticeship so you cant just leave after qualifying, however despite the committment it obviously comes with the benefits of the RAF lifestyle i.e your not getting paid 80quid a week and doing all the rubbish jobs like you would be if you got a normal apprenticeship on civvie street..... well worth it in my eyes.

coopesh