Share This Page:

2nd RAF Hercules is blown up after bad landing.

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Guardian of The Wall

2nd RAF Hercules is blown up after bad landing.

Post by Guardian of The Wall »

An RAF Hercules was destroyed last week after it had a rough landing in Kabul, Afghanistan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... ws=1&ms3=6
Tab

Post by Tab »

I wonder what the RAF regiment is doing on the airfields
B_H100

Post by B_H100 »

Do you have a link to the actual report, not the video?
Guardian of The Wall

Post by Guardian of The Wall »

There is no report! :o I searched the BBC news website and a few other places (even my local news one) and could find nothing! Is this not worth reporting?! :evil: I don't think so. Oh I know, let's go and report on how unhappy the Muslims are because they don't have a mosque in every f**king city in England. :bad-words:
B_H100

Post by B_H100 »

`Nuff said
_chris

Post by _chris »

I think it could be this one, not sure but they can hardly be blowing that many up can they? :-?

MILITARY chiefs blew up a £50million aircraft so its high-tech gear would not fall into enemy hands, it was revealed yesterday.

The decision to destroy the specially modified RAF Hercules was made after it crash-landed in a southern Afghan Taliban stronghold.

The loss of the plane, used to move SAS troops and equipment, is expected to hamper special forces operations for a while in the lawless Helmand badlands.

The hushed-up accident occurred last week in a blacked-out night landing on a rough dirt air strip.

Pilots using night vision goggles were guided in by four SAS troopers on the ground.

But the Hercules from 47 Squadron at RAF Lyneham — which is the most highly decorated unit in the air force — was badly damaged in what was described as a “very, very hard landing”. None of the crew or troops on board were injured and they were able to evacuate the aircraft.

After some equipment on board was removed, Army engineers were sent in to plant explosives and blow up the giant transporter and the rest of its contents. A source said: “The loss of the Hercules is a big blow but it was better to blow it up rather than risk letting it fall into the hands of the Taliban.”

The Hercules planes used by the special forces are equipped with highly classified digital encrypted satellite and high frequency communications suites to relay messages and video from SAS troops on the ground straight back to UK headquarters from anywhere in the world.

They are also fitted with the latest defensive aids including missile-approach warning gear — and have the ability to jam anti-aircraft missiles with flares and chaff launchers, which release millions of tiny metal particles to confuse radar systems.

Aircraft for SAS missions also have to be able to carry the Who Dares Wins regiment’s very heavily armed Land Rovers or Mad Max-style Special Utility Vehicles.

They also transport the SAS’s raider speed boats and mini-subs.

Until the RAF is able to convert other Hercules, the SAS will probably have to cadge rides with American special forces units.

Last night an RAF spokesman said: “We continue to manage our aircraft in order to maintain a required level of defence capability.

“Our first priority is to support operations.”
The Sun

I know people don't like to trust the sun but the MOD confirmed:
RAF Hercules destroyed in Afghanistan
The Sun reports how an RAF Hercules aircraft had to be destroyed after it was damaged following a heavy landing in Afghanistan. The heavy landing damaged the aircraft to such an extent that it was not possible to repair it at the secured site. All recoverable items were removed and the aircraft destroyed in accordance with standard procedure for these incidents. The loss of this operational capability is being managed in the short term by in-theatre commanders. We are looking to send a replacement aircraft as soon as possible. We continue to manage our aircraft in order to maintain the required level of defence capability. Our first priority is support to operations
http://www.blogs.mod.uk/

Although the MOD didn't go on about the SAS, whether it was SAS or just the Sun in its usual sexing everything up I don't know.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I wonder what difference there is to an SAS Herc to a normal, may be they have proper rest rooms and a waitress service who knows????
rach7

Post by rach7 »

was it the hercules that that horizons or similar programme reported about not that long ago about the fact (i may be wrong with the plane) that they werent built to fly in such high climate areas such as afghanistan and had killed a few military personnel??
"jump through the loops" as said by my dad haha
rach7

Post by rach7 »

get raf news this fortnight theres quite a detailed story in there about it first time iv seen that paper agree with the bbc
"jump through the loops" as said by my dad haha