Share This Page:

Ok, I need some cold, hard and honest opinions...

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Skiddywinks

Ok, I need some cold, hard and honest opinions...

Post by Skiddywinks »

I am taking out a gap year to do some volunteer work and my Duke of Edinburgh, all in the hope of becoming a pilot in the RAF.

Now, I know it is a long, hard and, for many, a disappointing road, so that is why I am here.

I have an A*, 2 A's (Maths and English Language), 8 B's (Science is a double award though, so although I got an A in physics, Biology brought it down. Gits) and a handful of C's at GCSE and should have (worst case scenario) 3 E's at A Level (Maths, Chemistry and Psychology). I understand that something like 3 quarters of RAF pilots come out of Air Cadets or private schools etc, so I was wondering if you guys would give it to me straight...

With those grades and Duke of Edinburough (Will have completed Bronze and be on my way to Silver) what are my chances?

For the sake of the question, lets just assume I am extremely fit and show great leadership skills etc, as I cannot prove one way or another how developed I am at such things.

Opinions? And please, be as brutally honest as you can.

Any replies are much appreciated.
Last edited by Skiddywinks on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead, Go Instead Where There Is No Path, And Leave A Trail~
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Opinions? And please, be as brutally honest as you can.
Targets to your front. In your own time, go `ed :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

I'm assuming that's a bad sign then...
~Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead, Go Instead Where There Is No Path, And Leave A Trail~
Pilot999

Post by Pilot999 »

You seem to be talking yourself down a bit here. You hold the minimum requirements to apply for a commission in the RAF and therefore have what is required to go to OASC (Officer and Aircrew Selection).

OASC is where you can make your mark and try and impress the recruiters. Yes, you need the GCSEs and A Levels but that is just a base standard. What they are looking for is someone who is well rounded, fairly mature and who displays leadership potential. As well as this you'll also need to display aptitude for flying aircraft, but don't worry about this as there's very little you can do about it - you either can or you can't!

As for your point on Private Schools and Air Cadets I'd have to disagree. Very few of the guys on my Squadron went to a posh school and I'd say maybe only 50% or so went to Air Cadets as a kid, if that.

D of E is a good scheme and should give you something to talk about at the interviews, but don't get too bogged down by what you have or have not done. Get your head in the newspapers and also build up an idea of where the RAF are currently based/Operating and this should see you right.

Any questions, feel free to give me a shout.
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

So I don't really need to be as worried about my grades as much as I am?

The impression I am getting here is that the grade boundaries are mainly there just to filter off the people that don't have the determination and commitment etc to keep with things like A levels. Am I right? As in, the fact you even HAVE a pass at A level is good enough to get it? But obviously, if it comes down to two exactly the same cadidates, grades would be a factor?

In all honesty, flying a jet would be the best thing I can imagine experiencing, and if I come across as playing myself down a bit it is purely because I don't want to get my hopes up.

I can honestly say though, that so long as the grades don't let me down, I can't see anything else being a problem. I am fit, and only getting fitter, I have the RAF handbook, and know a lot about the current state of the RAF and its equipment thanks to it.

I know a fair amount about weapons and jets in development etc, such as the MBDA Meteor (and the fact the AIM-120 is being used until the current ETA of the Meteor, due to development delays) and others, and even tend to research other, non-RAF specific air force subjects, such as the F-22 Raptor. Probably a waste of time going into for a RAF interview, but I like it all the same :p

Current events isn't a problem either. As you can see, I am basically worried about my exam results letting me down. Everything else I can't see being a problem.

Ofcourse, if I am getting the wrong end of the stick with anything, or anything I just said was wrong, feel free to point it out. That's why I made this topic :D

Oh yeh, almost forgot, I am about 6 foot 3. I know this likely puts me out of the running for a fighter jet pilot position ( I know it depends on other things as well, but I'm pretyt sure my legs would be too long etc), but I was wondering about helicoptors; seeing as they do not have ejector seats (or do they?!), is it less likely to be a problem for a heli pilot?

And finally, thanks alot for posting.
harry hackedoff

Re: Ok, I need some cold, hard and honest opinions...

Post by harry hackedoff »

Skiddywinks wrote:
For the sake of the question, lets just assume I am extremely fit and show great leadership skills .
Let`s just not 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Repeat the following 20 times in quick succession and you'r in:

Bags of lettice, heaps of tomatoes, and lashings of ginger beer! Hurraah!

(Extra marks for lisping!)
KiLLiNgo

Post by KiLLiNgo »

What the RAF is looking for is the CREAMING ON THE CAKE as to speak. Yours grades are good as a basic requirement. What you need is to prove that your a team player / great leader / and hell you can run for days on end without sweating!

Also prove to the markers that your STAND OUT of the crowd (not in a bad way). You stand out with a big shine behind you.

(Brutal Part)

There will be same people with qualities same as you and MORE better grades which will boost their chances. If you and other people physical fitness is identical they will start looking at your qualifications.

(Helping hand Part)

Go help charity, go save the queens dog from a tree or something. Get recognised! Work your ass off! Be a local hero! With this status behind you your chances will help so much!

They don't really want a smart ass from Oxford Uni with NO EXPERIENCE in life, they prefer a Oxford Uni student with LIFE EXPERIENCE and is willing to get smacked in the face with reality and no complaints!

For now my friend find the SECOND Best thing in the RAF that interests you. Leave that as a cussion incase myfriend you won't qualify for the Pilot position.

Its only 2000 to 1 for a pilot job... can you be the one?
Survival Equipment Fitter
Aptitude Test - PASSED!
Selection Interview - PASSED!
Medical - PASSED!
Pre Fitness Test - PASSED!
Final Interview - January 2nd!
Halton - January 23rd!
Cosford - Febuary!
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Thanks for the reply, was very helpful :)

If I don't get in to be a pilot, I will be going for Firefighter (not in the RAF though, seeing those jets and not being able to fly one would KILL me inside :p).

Thanks for all the support. Looks like I'm going to have to work my ass off to make up for the lower-than-some/most grades.

But hey, if that's what it takes... :x
Doc

Post by Doc »

Can I be brutally honest?

The RAF and its recruits are a world apart from my experience and thus not knowing two shites about it at all then I cower in ignornace and take the piss out of that which I am ignorant of, so in saying that please take the following to heart and weep like a greyish blue pansy with a silly moustache and clenched buttocks.............

It is a well known fact that education is irrelevant and taking it up the poo tube will gain entry to Cramwell, a light lunch followed by a jaw aching marathon of blow jobs dished out to the superior ranks present is followed by a game of rounders in the hooky buff.

If you pass these extremely hard tests you are taken up in a sparrow hawk and allowed the controls for 30 secs.

If again you pass its back to the mess to throw darts at 3 pictures, one of a herc, one of a chinook and one of the CO's daughter. Whichever one you hit is the one you will be flying tomorrow morning after breakfast.

All in all a great career for the absent minded toffee nosed public schoolboy silly named crab fat wannabe that is not adverse to, nay welcomes, taking it up the bum for queen and country.

When you leave the RAF make sure to update BT so they can add your rank to the telephone listing they have for you and retire to an old vicarge and cravat of choice.

Chin chin biggles

Doc
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Doc wrote:Can I be brutally honest?
That would be a first then Shadders :P
All you really need for the RAF is a plumby accent.
Say after me.
'Air'
'Hair'
'Lair'
Now put them in a sentence.

'Air hair lair'

'Air hair lair,Welcome to the Royal Air Force'

Easy peasy innit? 8)
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Just do the best you can on your exams mate, try not to stress about it too much, that's counterproductive.
(Really too long a word to use when I'm this hungover)
I see no reason why you wouldn't get to OASC, and that's when the fun starts. Loads of info on here about that if you have any questions, or speak to one of the people on here who has actually got through it, we'll give you some pointers.
Have you considered Nav (WSO) as a second choice? It's occasionally possible to join as a Nav and move across after IOT.
But I didn't tell you that...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Can you honestly do that? I wonder who said it... :p

In all honesty, I think if I don't get straight in I might just call it a day. Will just have to hope I get to OASC, and then work my ass off and show them what I've got.

I'm not gonna suck ANY dick though >_>
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I didn't, still got in!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Thank God.

At least I have some hope then :p