Share This Page:

Para training and getting ready

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
paratrooperRC

Para training and getting ready

Post by paratrooperRC »

Sooo, just applied for paras next stage BARB test...
Was wanting some info on how to get best prepared for the rest of my tests fitness running wise and what my 1.5mile best time should be coming round about?

Upto now doing 1.5mile at 8mins, 70sit-ups in 2mins and 90press-ups in 2mins..
Running 6.times a week, 3mile 1day with 35kg and the next day 10mile...
ofens

Re: Para training and getting ready

Post by ofens »

Good scores but I think you're doing too much and at risk of over training, especially the loaded running.

The PFA route at Catterick is hilly and difficult, and the wind can slow you down quite a lot!
If you're already doing 8 mins on a flat route then that's great but prepare for running on hills and loose terrain.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
paratrooperRC

Post by paratrooperRC »

That best 1.5mile 8mins is including hills mate, and on most forums people cracking on about dont focuse on gym work getting big etc, concentrate on your running no stop?
Think i might shorten down th runs and use the assualt course about 5miles from me like twice a week..

Thanks for the reply pal :)

:soldier_rifle_mad:
READY for ANYTHING
mia2013

Post by mia2013 »

hello mate, don't worry about gym work, your doing the right thing at the min keep running mate. if it was me i wouldn't be doing load carrying at the min. when you get to cattrick your be tabbing sometimes twice a week, it will be progressive. if i can remember you start at 5 miles and carrying 28 pounds, and gets longer and heavier. But lay of that for the min trust me ! otherwise your just opening your self up for an injury. its all about fitness in para depot, you wont lift a weight while your there only in circuits. Any more help just ask. don't worry about the barb test if you wanna join intelligence then you gotta get a good score, but if i can pass the barb test anyone can !
paratrooperRC

Post by paratrooperRC »

cheers for the reply mate.
Was thinking if i done the running with weight it may help me when i get to catterick? haha i know, last time i applied i passed got like 86percent then failed my medical due to hernia.
U in or were u in paras.?
mia2013

Post by mia2013 »

Mate it's up to you at the end of the day. But if it was me I would lay off of carrying weight ! When you get to depot your know what I mean ! If you want the reg bad enough you will stick it out there are a lot of shit Staines that when the going gets tough you see what sort of men they are. You got to want to be there other wise you won't pass the course.
paratrooperRC

Post by paratrooperRC »

cheers for the advice mate. yeah been looking at the training and that online, pcompany etc aswell, and what they go through looks tough like but looking forward to it and my motto is never fail so hopefully i will hack it and stay in it for the long run!
was running with weights cos im at a good weight yes 15stone (6ft5) but need to work on my legs lol im fit and strong but my legs are like peter crouch!!!
Chrisbird91

Post by Chrisbird91 »

Para depot is not just fitness. Yes that's a big chunk of it but its all in the head. You've got to be prepared to be f@#k around for 6 months of your life. No sleep, freezing cold, wet, your physically and mentally be pushed to the limit. I'm in week 13 of depot my platoon started with 36 we've now got 24.
paratrooperRC

Post by paratrooperRC »

cheers for the reply mate, application is taking agessss! dno if there not recruiting at the minute or something but waiting a while now to hear back.. aye my uncle nd that was in paras and was saying quite a lot drop out and like only a quarter pass at the end!
tractorboydan

Post by tractorboydan »

My application is taking a while too, mate!
Applied back on the 5th of April and now it's 1st October! But then mine had some trouble mixing up with a previous application (I'm a re-joiner). It's finally on the move now though - currently waiting to hear back from the re-joiner team in Glasgow who check your previous service, and at the same time waiting on the NRC to arrange my face-to-face interview at my local recruiting office - so I'll hopefully have 1 or both of those done within a fortnight or so!

They are bloody slow though - I've wanted to bang my head against the wall at times!

No idea how you manage to fit 3 10 mile runs in a week! I work full time and have to commute by train 15-20 miles there and back each day which minimises my time. I run 5 days a week - 2.5 miles x2 (at 5.30am on Tuesdays & Thursday), 1.5 miles x 2 (at 6pm Monday & Friday) and then run 3.5 miles on a Sunday. That one I gradually increase, currently trying to work out a 5 mile route for that to step up to, and have already worked out an 8 mile one for the next step up.

My 1.5 mile best is currently 8mins 21secs, which works out at about 5mins 33secs per mile.
My 2.5 mile best is currently 14mins 51secs, which works out at about 5mins 57secs per mile.
My 3.5 mile best is currently 20mins 43secs, which works out at about 5mins 54secs per mile.

So my 'per-mile' speed is within the same ballpark regardless of distance which is good, as I know that on the 3.5 mile run I will run the first 2 miles and still complete the last 1.5 miles within a qualifying time (under 9mins 18secs) for that ADSC test - so that gives me confidence.

I struggle with push-ups though. I can knock out around 65-70 sit-ups in 2 minutes, but the push-ups keep coming in at around 45, so that's where I need more drastic improvement.
paratrooperRC

Post by paratrooperRC »

unbelievable how slow it is like mate! family are keep banging onto me tsaying am not going in and that cos i been saying im going in for ages lol but its the application process!!
I times look good n that like, im just playing part time footy at the minute thats how i get time to do more training n that, ive lowerd my mileage n stuff tho for now, only do weights-run once a week now but my football keeps my fitness right up and in spare time im swimming, bench-press etc...
Im doing my 1.5mile mostly uphill which is good because looking at the videos n that its hilly terrrain and not all flat and using shitty fields and hills to practice on!

Press-ups i piss through them but hardly do sit-ups only my multi gym bench on incline.. im positive that i will pass at the training centre but nothing prepares you what training will be like when u get in like th shit u have to take and that!

Just wanna get on with it now, sick of waiting for them to get back to me n shit :S

:soldier_rifle_mad:

*READY FOR ANYTHING*
tractorboydan

Post by tractorboydan »

Finally got some news today.

Received a call from the NRC to say my application has at last been referred to Glasgow - (I'm a rejoiner & all rejoiners have their applications referred to the Glasgow office to past service evaluation). So now I have a 4-6 week wait for a yay or nay phone call.

(As I say, I am a rejoiner - I started training but DAOR due to some personal reasons - this was all the way back in 2008, so a long old time.)

Just wanna get cracking again and really take this chance/opportunity.
paratrooperRC

Post by paratrooperRC »

its taking that lonnnnggggg now im thinking of joining marines!! dno if there taking on or not, am physically in shape and evrything and fully healthy for a long time!!
wait, wait, wait :S
Dno if its cos the army are cutting back and taking reserves on, which i would never ever be!!
tractorboydan

Post by tractorboydan »

I personally wouldn't be a reserve - I want a full time career.

Had another call since my last post confirming that the application had been passed to their Glasgow records centre. I was told they can't say how long it would take but expect 4-6 weeks, which expired Friday just gone (6th Dec), so I am gonna chase them up again today and see if I can find any news.
paratrooperRC

Post by paratrooperRC »

I can re-apply JANUARY 1st again since my last application got knocked back due to previous hernia operation... Think i might pop into the local careers office and get them to try to help me out let them know how much i want this!!!!!! Seems like they dont give a shit sometimes cos u have to do it online now :S

Naa i cdnt be a reserve like!! Guess thats all there taking on now....