Share This Page:

Just passed PRAC

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
WOW! That hurt.

Just passed PRAC

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

I just passed PRAC and although there is already a lot on here about PRAC that is fairly recent. I just thought I'd offer a more updated source of experience to anyone who has questions.

The only advice I give outright is don't attend PRAC unless you are seeing AT LEAST a 9 min flat on your 1.5, because you will struggle to pass. I had to go f@#k bonkers to pass mine and I was getting an 8:49 before I showed up there and even then I only passed at the back of the class.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
DanPalmer1992

Re: Just passed PRAC

Post by DanPalmer1992 »

congratulations mate, i have adsc coming up on the 24th-25th july and my careers advisor is on about getting me on PRAC in august providing i pass to get me on to the september intake, ive been out of training with injury for a few weeks ive just come back into it and still acheiving a 9mins 40 1.5mile so i got a few weeks to improve that, my careers advisor is telling me to keep hill running.. did you do much running on the hills at prac?
what were the main events you were being marked on?
ive been hearing its the 1.5miler (with warm up 1.5'a), steeplechase in under 20mins and tranasium?
is there another run?
did you recieve your boots also? and when is your start date, sorry to bombard you with so many questions lmao! i just dont want to settle for any other infantry regiment ;)
1st Choice: Parachute Regiment BARB: Passed 58 Medical Clearence: Passed 1 Day Pre Selection Tests: Passed (1.5Mile - 8mins 50 seconds) 1st Interview: Passed 2nd Interview: Passed ADSC: Passed PRAC: Passed ITC Catterick PARA Depot: November 18th 2012!!
    ShitMyNameDoesntFi

Post by ShitMyNameDoesntFi »

Did you do much running on the hills at Prac?
    On day 3 there's a 4 mile familiarisation run on the hills around Catterick. Don't underestimate it and think 'it's only 4 miles', honestly it is agony from start to finish. Basically vertical hills which you run up and down over and over again, this being while you're tired and aching from previous days.
    What were the main events you were being marked on?
    Like Adsc you are marked on everything you do. the main events are the 1.5mile run (must be completed in under 9:40) after a 1.5mile warm up (in about 10:30), the Steeplechase which is 1.9miles warm up followed by best effort in under 19mins, Trainasium (just to be completed with confidence all the way around) and finally a lesson which you will be tested on.
    Did you receive your boots?
    They give you a pair of boots for the duration of your stay but these aren't the boots you will use in basic.

Hope that's helped anyway mate, good luck!
    Nico (sout-africa)

Post by Nico (sout-africa) »

hi.... I'm from south-africa , 17 years old and very determind to join the paras in 2 years after school so I have about a year and a 1/2 left to train but was wonderring if you could help with any spesific exercises that could help me with my fitness my upper body strengh is very good and I have good stamina but still struggle with my running ???
    DanPalmer1992

Post by DanPalmer1992 »

ShitMyNameDoesntFi wrote:Did you do much running on the hills at Prac?
    On day 3 there's a 4 mile familiarisation run on the hills around Catterick. Don't underestimate it and think 'it's only 4 miles', honestly it is agony from start to finish. Basically vertical hills which you run up and down over and over again, this being while you're tired and aching from previous days.
    What were the main events you were being marked on?
    Like Adsc you are marked on everything you do. the main events are the 1.5mile run (must be completed in under 9:40) after a 1.5mile warm up (in about 10:30), the Steeplechase which is 1.9miles warm up followed by best effort in under 19mins, Trainasium (just to be completed with confidence all the way around) and finally a lesson which you will be tested on.
    Did you receive your boots?
    They give you a pair of boots for the duration of your stay but these aren't the boots you will use in basic.

Hope that's helped anyway mate, good luck!
    Cheers mate, im crystal clear about PRAC now, your a good'un! :)
    1st Choice: Parachute Regiment BARB: Passed 58 Medical Clearence: Passed 1 Day Pre Selection Tests: Passed (1.5Mile - 8mins 50 seconds) 1st Interview: Passed 2nd Interview: Passed ADSC: Passed PRAC: Passed ITC Catterick PARA Depot: November 18th 2012!!