Share This Page:

Looking to join the paras, please help!

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Para hopeful

Looking to join the paras, please help!

Post by Para hopeful »

This is my first post so go easy on me please!
I am 15 and I have decided that I really want to join the parachute regiment once I leave college (much to my parents demise) but I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to prepare myself for selection apart from the fitness aspect. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Connor
sebastianPenny

Re: Looking to join the paras, please help!

Post by sebastianPenny »

Para hopeful wrote:This is my first post so go easy on me please!
I am 15 and I have decided that I really want to join the parachute regiment once I leave college (much to my parents demise) but I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to prepare myself for selection apart from the fitness aspect. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Connor
quick question are you applying for junior entry or adult?
Para hopeful

Post by Para hopeful »

Adult, I will be 18 when I sign up. I'm doing a public services course at college
sebastianPenny

Post by sebastianPenny »

Para hopeful wrote:Adult, I will be 18 when I sign up. I'm doing a public services course at college
ok, not saying this because im an asshole but when i went to me recruiter he said that even if you do public services it wont change anything.

anyway apart from your fitness you need to be conident and a team player (no one likes to be the only one on his own).
Para hopeful

Post by Para hopeful »

Ok, thanks for the help! To be honest, it's just to waste 2 years because my parents won't let me join at 16.
sebastianPenny

Post by sebastianPenny »

Para hopeful wrote:Ok, thanks for the help! To be honest, it's just to waste 2 years because my parents won't let me join at 16.
you could always persuade them because in AFC harrogate you get paid and trained so bonus.
Para hopeful

Post by Para hopeful »

I have tried but they aren't budging unfortunately. I did look at army college and thought it looked amazing but you need parental consent which I think is stupid. I might as well wait and get my fitness up anyway...
sebastianPenny

Post by sebastianPenny »

Para hopeful wrote:I have tried but they aren't budging unfortunately. I did look at army college and thought it looked amazing but you need parental consent which I think is stupid. I might as well wait and get my fitness up anyway...
take care and good luck then.
ryanwalden

Post by ryanwalden »

I've just passed para selection and it's the hardest thing I've done
02leaveg

Post by 02leaveg »

get some knowledge up mate, i mean this, some people might not see at as important but it helps develop you into a thinking mans soldier and they always go far.

try looking up/researching previous battles, try get a few details from them, especially parachute reg battles, then maybe expand, theres no end to learning techniques from the past, you get to know how things really happen no matter what the planning.

also get into a team spirit, get used to working well within a group, butsee how things go when you make a imput to it. its just as important to be a team player aswell as the leader when you are needed to be.

fitness is a must, if you cant keep up youll fail, if you cant show determination youll fail, if you cant show that youre there to fight and do the job to the best youll fail.
so dont half arse anything.

as for your parents, theyll have to accept it in the long run, but as long as you keep it clear to them that its Exactly what you want then they might take it better, let them know about your process.

Good luck fella, see you in a few years