Share This Page:

interested in joining the parachute regiment.

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
chandler

interested in joining the parachute regiment.

Post by chandler »

hi whoever reads this.
ive been interested in the paras for a while a now and been thinking about joining them, so got so many questions to ask about them.
like how long does it take to start training? what do you have to do to get into training? thank you for the help :)
chandler
Eddiek1989

Re: interested in joining the parachute regiment.

Post by Eddiek1989 »

Hi chandler.

I applied for and started training with the paras back in 2008. Its only took me about 4 months from starting my application to starting training. This was VERY quick! And is nothing like that now, i have re applied after coming out of training due to injury, its already been over 5 months and iv not done my barb test yet. Thats how slow things are at the minute.

To train, you need to be doing a lot of physical preparation. We were doing 2 pt sessions a day where other reg's like rifles, guards etc were doing 2 or 3 a week. We started on our 1st run by doing a 5 miler, where the other reg's were finishing training on 5milers. Thats the kind of fitness level they expect.

We got beasted all the time, so expect literally 100's of press ups a day, so get practicing them. It is unbelievable how much training you actually need, i was well unprepared!

You really do have to think about whether you are upto standard, but i would definitly recommend going for it as my 4 months were the very best of my life, and i really miss it.

Good luck with everything, and keep us informed. And go for a run! ;)
ofens

Post by ofens »

We were doing 2 pt sessions a day where other reg's like rifles, guards etc were doing 2 or 3 a week. We started on our 1st run by doing a 5 miler, where the other reg's were finishing training on 5milers
That much of a difference? 2 or 3 phys sessions A WEEK?! That's less than I'm doing as a civi. Please tell me that's an exaggeration.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Eddiek1989

Post by Eddiek1989 »

ofens wrote:
We were doing 2 pt sessions a day where other reg's like rifles, guards etc were doing 2 or 3 a week. We started on our 1st run by doing a 5 miler, where the other reg's were finishing training on 5milers
That much of a difference? 2 or 3 phys sessions A WEEK?! That's less than I'm doing as a civi. Please tell me that's an exaggeration.
Unfortunately not! I had a couple of mates training in the rifles at the time, and i ended up in rehab for my injury with some lads training for the guards, and they were shocked by the comparrison!

We also got to use 10 x more ammo in the 28weeks training at catterick!
ofens

Post by ofens »

Bit disappointed to hear that. Failed PRAC recently, so going for Rifles instead.
However have been keeping my phys up as if I was training for paras anyway.
Am aware that "line infantry" is not elite like paras, but didn't think it would be that little phys.
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

well I am too. I aint suprised my glorious para reg are maintaining standards but very saddened to hear the lines are now doing this. i take it with a pinch of salt though. by the way the other unit that matched the pt training mantra of the airborne was a certain RAF Regt who I also was with ;O)
'Every man an Emperor'
ofens

Post by ofens »

Sorry if that sounded like a drip. Just a bit weird after preparing for para training!
What do they do all day if there isn't phys every day?

Anyway I have every intention of throwing myself at everything I do at Catterick in The Rifles and doing the very best I can, and I'm not losing interest in or respect for the regiment so I hope it doesn't come across this way!
Can't wait to get started 8)
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]