Share This Page:

How can i improve my running? any ideas?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
blueboy

How can i improve my running? any ideas?

Post by blueboy »

Ive only just decided to join the para's and im not going to apply untill i have a good level of fitness so i can then beast myself whilst waiting for barb, prac etc... imnot the fittest person that ever lived at the moment and im struggling when running, i know it will take time but does anybody have any techniques or ideas on how i can improve my fitness quicker?
Dont Go Through Life.... Grow Through Life
Tab

Re: How can i improve my running? any ideas?

Post by Tab »

Practice...Practice and more practice, it takes hard work to do it but build up slowly and vary distance and short work.
rst

Post by rst »

Look into a style called 'pose' Worked wonders for me.
timex

Post by timex »

Don't just run, try cycling and swimming, Running needs to be structured and work to a plan making sure you don't knacker your knees by just running on roads. DONT RUN WITH WEIGHTS/DAYSACK You'll do that in training.
ofens

Post by ofens »

We're all different, so try stuff out and see what works for you.
In brief, my normal preference over a week is:

2-3 short fast runs (3-5 miles)
1-2 long slow runs (6+ miles or 1+ hour)
1 sprint session (short high intensity intervals; replaces one of the other runs as very demanding)

I avoid running two days in a row, if you run every day you increase chance of injury.
Also just like weight training, you need to let the muscles recover the next day to allow them to grow and improve.

On the days you're not running look at cross training (non-impact fitness like rowing, swimming, cycling).
As well as core work and upper body (according to the needs of the selection/training course).

Also use the search button, this has to be one of the most covered questions on this forum.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]