Share This Page:

Getting fit in time.

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Danparahopeful

Getting fit in time.

Post by Danparahopeful »

Ok basically I think ive left it way too late to start training. I started last week but already started my application to join the parachute regiment before, I've passed my BARB and handed my medical forms in and just waiting on that now.

I'm currently running 1.5miles in 10.19 which is extremely poor, and I know it has to be 9.18, but I also I know I have to be able to pull that time off after running 3.5 miles.

so considering I only started training last week I have a holiday in less than 2 weeks for 10 days, so that undoubtedly will set back my run time as well, how much time am I looking at before I do ADSC and assuming I pass that how long after that until PRAC.

And my final question to you guys is, realistically can I get my fitness to a high enough standard within the time scale I have?

Thanks.
ofens

Re: Getting fit in time.

Post by ofens »

Can you tell us exactly what your timescale is? (how many weeks)
Don't stress out, just do your best with the time you have.
What kinds of running training are you doing each week?
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
timex

Post by timex »

Why can't you train on Holiday? 10 days is a lot to lose and if its going to be one huge piss up with no training then in all probability anything you've done will be wasted. You need to decide where your priorities lie.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Nothing to stop you doing a bit of running while you are holiday, as it was said earlier it is up to you and how much you want the job.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

i went on a lads holiday after passing at brize and I carried on training much to the disgust of the lads I went with lol - I still got a megaton of shaggin in with all the holiday crumpet so I wasnt bothered about the jibes :wink:
Id say if youve got a short timescale you have to train sensibly but hard, really hard. you have to eat optimally and rest thoroughly between training and get good shut eye. AVOID OVERTRAINING LIKE THE PLAGUE. if your too keen because of the short timescale and try and cram it all in you will take two steps back rather than advance. test your 1.5miler every two week, think positive and WILL yourself to get that time down. if you know time is a factor and you have only got x amount of it to get your run time down to 9.18 then you HAVE to be 110% committed to want to do it, anything less and you will fail before you even turn up. ideally you need to post how long you have got left to train otherwise its pure guess work.
'Every man an Emperor'
daz89

Post by daz89 »

My afco wouldt send anyone on an ADSC if they didnt think they will pass.. so stop stressing as the lads have already said train hard have rest days etc and the fitness will come. When you get upto the required standard let the AFCO know and get them to put you on selection. Theres no need for you to rush you cant get fitter any faster than you body will let you (make sure your putting 120% into it though). Good luck.