Share This Page:

Joining the Paras

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Collis808

Joining the Paras

Post by Collis808 »

Hi all.

Im 16 and have always wanted to join the Paras as an officer by staying on in school, getting a levels then joining up at 18.
I can do a 1.5 in 8:41 with a 0.5 mile warm up, my time for a 1.5 after doing 52 press ups and 61 sit ups in 2 minutes and 8 pull ups is 9:41.
I can run 3 miles in around 25 mins, and i can run 6 in 50 mins.
Because im still at school with GCSE's coming up very soon, I dont really have a fitness program, but play cricket and tennis regulary and go out for runs when i can fit them in (usaully 2-3 a week with a vareity of mile lengths) Im going to try and complete a half marathon this year because I think that will help?

I am very determined when I want to do something, and I have been obssessed with being a Para for a long time now, but just in the last couple of weeks, I have been doubting if i can really do it :-? because im around 5,9, resonably strong, but i think im not strong enough for some of the P coy tests (i.e. log and stretcher race), or it could just be in my mind, i dont know.

Please help, I would be very grateful for any advice
Thanks
Dalishus

Re: Joining the Paras

Post by Dalishus »

dont know much about the officer route mate, best off consulting your local careers office about that, but in the meantime just continue to work on your phys. dont get sloppy. then, obviously a bit closer to the time, i.e 6 months off you wanna intensify that training to get in prime condition (consult some further advice on that closer to time - should provide you with a training schedule of sorts)

to be honest if your where your at now and improve on that continually over 2 years youll be fine, probably well above the average

you dont do P-Coy until week 21 of ITC, they will build you up from your already high physical standard to prepare you for p-coy. if you have the right drive and determination you have a strong chance. it's all about self-belief and the ability to continue beyond your means
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
blueboy

Re: Joining the Paras

Post by blueboy »

Collis808 wrote:Hi all.

Im 16 and have always wanted to join the Paras as an officer by staying on in school, getting a levels then joining up at 18.
alrite mate, dont mean to piss on your parade or anything but having A-levels wont be enough, i looked into it myself and was told i needed more life experience and im 19, i was advised to go to university and then apply or get a full time job and apply when im about 22-23, they do accept some lads straight outta sixth form/ college but you've got to show mega potential, doing duke of edinbrough an those types of things will go miles.
Dont Go Through Life.... Grow Through Life