Share This Page:

Joining the Para's

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Steve.S

Joining the Para's

Post by Steve.S »

Hi,

Steve here, first post on the forum after lurking around for a while!

I'm 26 and have work experience in media, advertising and marketing, however, it just isn't what I want to do anymore. I've always been keen on a military career and feel the time is right to fulfil this dream.

With no disrepesct to other regiments it was always going to be a toss up between the Marines and the Paras. If I go for this, I have to go for elite. I have chosen the paras (jumping from planes over out of boats!) and have my BARB test in two weeks time, hopefully I will be eligible for September's intake.

Anyone currently serving with 1/2/3 Para? And also, are there opportunities to study for A-Levels/Degree which are funded by the Army? I have GCSE's, A-Levels and a degree but would like to improve my grades in the last two (currently not good enough for officer entry)

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
Dalishus

Re: Joining the Para's

Post by Dalishus »

Looks like you come from a similar background to me. Hard getting in all the phys' in your spare time eh!? :-?

Reason i've replied though, you won't be getting on the September intake if your only doing Barb now. There's a number of things you got to do first;

BARB (as you know)
Send off Med Forms - await return (anything from 1 to 6 weeks)
Interview
Pre-Selection (or PSAC) (dependent on your AFCO.. idea is to wittle out the idiots)
ADSC (actual Selection - every Army Applicant must pass this)
PRAC (paras selection)

You can expect atleast a couple of weeks between each of these, if you have a hasty CO and timing is on your side.
I went into my AFCO in Feb, got PRAC next month and providing I pass I'll be damn lucky to make September. Probably October.
The whole process could take between 5 to 8 months (from entering AFCO to starting Depot), providing you have no fitness or medical related setbacks. Not trying to deter you like, but you wanna be informed! :lol:

Don't know much about education whilst in. I know they are supportive of gaining qualifications though (or so they say) so I can only assume you might.

Hope that's useful!
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
Steve.S

Post by Steve.S »

Thanks for the info mate!

Good luck with your application.
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

since im solid and didnt got to school for my last year and had no gcse's i did maths and english gcse whilst on tour in 08 passed both and a i know a few blokes were doin some other stuff like language and a level stuff but bear in mind that if you did it back in the uk it more than likely be in youre own time but it would probably be done as a night course at the education centre on the barracks unless you were doin a language like pashto or dari which im doin at the moment then you might get it in work hours plus if i complete the course of ten weeks then i get a 1800 puond bonus straight into my bank account :D :D :D
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"