Share This Page:

Kiwi keen to join the paras

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
keenkiwi

Kiwi keen to join the paras

Post by keenkiwi »

Guys just curious

Im a kiwi currently in the NZ army reserves in the infantry i've done one tour overseas to the solomon islands which was pretty benign but im really keen to join the paras to get to afghan as i dont wanna go NZ regular infantry or try for NZSAS. to apply from overseas you have to have overseas sponsors so i'm just going to head over to the UK with a working holiday visa and join once i finish my degree at uni. Is there many kiwis or aussies in the paras and how long does the application process take as i would have to live on my savings while i waited. I feel i would do alrite with the fitness aspect i can run 2.4km in under 9 minutes and do 55 continuous push ups in under 1 minute. any advice u guys could give me would be much appreciated. I've emailed para recruiters and not heard much back from them but the rifles have been sending me lots of stuff so maybe just the rifles but i really would love to have that maroon beret...

Cheers.
Dalishus

Re: Kiwi keen to join the paras

Post by Dalishus »

hiya mate,

couldn't tell ya much about how many aussies / kiwis are in the paras but i'm sure there are a few atleast

the selection process length varies, from walking in the front door for the first time to actually starting depot, providing you pass everything first time (which, given your history and fitness levels you should) ... your probably looking at 6 to 8 months maximum. if you arrive at either selections with an injury etc, you could be deferred for a month or more, depending on... lengthening the process

i went in to my careers office late feb i think, got selection next month and providing i pass have been told i'll start depot in september / october (just to give you an idea)

also, it works on a points and grading system here, and everything from your BARB (aptitude) tests, intervew, ADSC selection etc contributes to it. the more points you get, the higher grade you'll get i.e A, B, C etc. An A or a B should get you in within 6 months or so dependent on availability, the A's before the B's and so on. but as said, given history and fitness you should easy get an A. (i'm not entirely sure if this system comes into play beyond ADSC selection, and if it contributes to PRAC (para selection) or not but I can only assume so.

also, to give you an idea of para selection requirements and tests they'll do on you

over 3 days you'll do;

medical - check your fit for the next few days
basic first aid / rifles and bayonet theory followed by assessments day after
icebreaker - 3-5 min presentation about self
press ups (all the way up, all the way down) best effort - between 50 and 70 or above to impress
sit ups (arms crossed over chest) best effort - same again
immediately followed by 3.5mile + 9min mile warm up run, very short break and 1.5 mile best effort - under 9 mins
PT session
essay on life as civilian
trainasium - following simple instructions at height
steeplechase - off road assault course with walls to climb, streams to cross etc, very hard, around 20 mins?
final interview
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
keenkiwi

Post by keenkiwi »

Sounds like the normal paper war that has to be done...But great cheers for your advice mate so your going for the paras as well i take it? I guess i can always get a job at tescoes while i wait haha
Dalishus

Post by Dalishus »

With any luck!

Aye mate, great career prospects at Tesco's, don't get sucked in..... :lol:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.