Share This Page:

Press Ups....

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Dalishus

Press Ups....

Post by Dalishus »

Ok, first of all... at PRAC are press-ups part of the fitness tests?

I'm currently pulling about 50 in 2 minutes, but I am performing them arms locked at sides (elbows pointing towards feet), hands in line with shoulders and fingers pointing forwards - chest to an inch off ground and then up to arms virtually locked out and repeat.

Is this right? I feel like I'm making it more difficult for myself and maybe can do more than 50 if my elbows were pointing outwards, at more of a right angle to my body. I'm assuming they are fussy about technique which Is why i want to know!

And do Paras do them different to Regular?

I'm clued up about the rest of the tests over the course, just reading conflicting feedback whether push ups, and also sit ups are included or not.

Cheers! :)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
charnock1990

Re: Press Ups....

Post by charnock1990 »

When we did our PRAC they wernt bothered how you did then, its just how you feel comfortable.
Dalishus

Post by Dalishus »

cheers

what kinda range of results were there between the lads on the day? how many were there also?

i.e press ups, sit ups, heaves, 1.5 mile and steeplechase?
ross_87

Post by ross_87 »

i just passed prac 5 weeks ago,there was only 6 of us there which ment they dont miss a trick when watchin us press ups i only did 50 which i felt was poor because a do around 70 -80 normally but on the stupid mats a found it harder to push up,sit ups a did bout 65.

we did a 1.5mile warm up then the 3.5 mile run then straight into our 1.5 timed run a got 09.20min. trainasium was fab a didnt want ay come of it haha steeplechase was torture we were nackered after the practice run round you get 22mins ay do it a did it in 22.30 but said a had a good attitude throughout so a passed.

everything was pretty easy all apart from the steeplechase,be back doing it shortly lol

para intake 11th july,bring on the blood n tears!
charnock1990

Post by charnock1990 »

everybody averaged out around 60 on each, i got 70 on both, the warm up before the 1.5 mile is alot longer than they tell you, its about 4-5 miles, i did my 1.5 in 9.15, and the steeple chase in 20:50 that was VERY hard!
Dalishus

Post by Dalishus »

cheers for the posts fellas.

think i should be alright with the core stuff then by time I get there.

only thing that concerns me is the 1.5 after 3.5 to 5 miles of 8/9 min mile warm up. ha.

with a mile warm up my best is 9.20. that was at Pre-Selection a couple of weeks ago and i've been doing a lot of fartlek on flat and hills, and hard running since. hopefully will be under the 9 minute bracket come ADSC and better still by PRAC.

i do 6 to 10 mile runs once a week as well as fartlek and short distance, so i'm not disused to it, but given these details do you think come PRAC i'd manage? was your fitness level far beyond this by PRAC?
Bees

Post by Bees »

Keep the good form it's good for you're joints and spreads the load correctly across the significant muscle groups (this is why its good form)

Do 5 sets of 20 press ups with 1 minute rest in between do this every other day for a week.

Every week, decrease the rest time by 10 seconds between sets

In 6 - 10 weeks you'll be able to crack out 100

Good luck, Keep up the phys
Bees

Post by Bees »

Just by the way, that little set up will work with chin ups, sit up... just about everything x
ofens

Post by ofens »

Sounds good Bees, I might just try that...
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

heres a cheeky one to chuck in every now and then into your press up routine when you find your stagnating.
start with a set of 25 rest 30seconds to 1 minute - then do a set of 24, rest again. another set of 23, then 22,21 and so on and so forth till you get down to 1 rep. its quite intense first time round. if you find it easy obviously you want to increase your start reps and work down. form dont matter just get them banged out. I find if the arms are nearer to the body then the triceps become more involved - not my idea of a press up as the aim is to work the chest, each to their own I guess.
'Every man an Emperor'
Bees

Post by Bees »

gunner75 wrote:heres a cheeky one to chuck in every now and then into your press up routine when you find your stagnating.
start with a set of 25 rest 30seconds to 1 minute - then do a set of 24, rest again. another set of 23, then 22,21 and so on and so forth till you get down to 1 rep. its quite intense first time round. if you find it easy obviously you want to increase your start reps and work down. form dont matter just get them banged out. I find if the arms are nearer to the body then the triceps become more involved - not my idea of a press up as the aim is to work the chest, each to their own I guess.
like it! similar to 10 down to 1's. 10 press ups, hold straight arm plank for 10 big breaths, then 9 then 8 and so on. then work back up to 10 from 1
Dalishus

Post by Dalishus »

Are they bothered about arms locking straight out at PRAC , or are they content with just most of the way up? upper arms at this sort of angle " / "
Bees

Post by Bees »

Dalishus wrote:Are they bothered about arms locking straight out at PRAC , or are they content with just most of the way up? upper arms at this sort of angle " / "
Do em properly mate, straight arms! you dont want to be seen cutting corners its not a good look.

Also it makes you fitter doing them properly, the only short cut with fitness is more effort.
ofens

Post by ofens »

"All the way up! All the way down!"
Still ringing in me ears...
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Dalishus

Post by Dalishus »

cheers for clearing that up fellas

funny how every little crocker you ask has a different idea about it .. "straight up, 45 degrees down.. dont worry about chest to the floor" and so on.. haha