Share This Page:

emotional parents

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
alias

emotional parents

Post by alias »

well im sure everyone has this issue, im 20 and very very close to my family, or rather they are more attatched to me than i am of them seemingly. im having some issues, as they really dont want me to go to join the foces and when im in the UK (i work abroad) i live at home, they pretty much drove me to withdraw my first application as i was guilt tripped so severely i wont do into detail as it runs deep. they just dispise the idea of me going to war and have resigned themselves to the fact if i go i will die! I have it pretty bad however, if you compare my parents to the ones you see being interviewed about there sons and the realitys of war, my rents are just off the hook, it makes it worse its dissapointment more than anger.......

Im pretty full on being a para and have a high level of fitness im also putting a lot on the line to go for it and im leaving no oppotunity for a faligure unless im thrown out. but this is holding me down a lot and kills my motivation sometimes...........

so, how do/did you guys handle the emotional baggage of reluctant mothers and not so proud dads, im sure some lucky men had no problems with this but if you did tell me how you dealt with it all, i shoudl go balls to the wall and crack on with it right? i will only regret it later..........

ideas/thoughts please..........
ofens

Re: emotional parents

Post by ofens »

Cut the apron strings dude.
Move out and start your own life.

You're 20...so you've got loads of time so you could spend a year or more learning to live independantly (you will be doing a lot of laundry, ironing etc in the army), and also spend that time training to get your fitness up.
And if possible, you could try living in a shared house or something, to get your head round living with others in close proximity, as you will be doing this and it is not easy to get used to if you have always lived at home.

Even if your fitness is right up there, the admin and social issues are key during training and beyond and can be a downfall.
Good luck 8)
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Dont leave it too late like what I did. If things go wrong then you dont or may not have the time to put them right! Get yourself in NOW! If you do then dont let homesickness overpower you as that is the downfall of many a recruit away from home, first time or not. If I had my time again Id of transfered straight into the regs after I passed P-coy with 4para when I was young. Fair one I went into the RAF Regt when I was 28 but it was over before it had begun due to an eye injury. Im now 34 and sometimes have that feeling of 'what if' so my advice would be get out there, man up and cut the apron strings. Your family will never disown you no matter what you choose to do and showing concern is a natural thing for any parent/family whose siblings are doing a potentially dangerous job!
'Every man an Emperor'
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

jesus grow some balls man dont go letting anyone stop you from doing anything you want to do even if it is youre mom and dad my mum didnt want me to join that was soon followed by a laugh and me telling her i never did what she wanted when i was young never mind when i was 20
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"