Share This Page:

How hard is it to join the Paras?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
FuturePara

How hard is it to join the Paras?

Post by FuturePara »

I just wanted to know how hard it is from people that have been in the Paras or in the Paras at this moment, also could any one give me any specific tips that could give me an edge when training to become a para.
timex

Post by timex »

I would suggest that you read through the dozens of threads already on the training forum...you could find some good info already there.
Tab

Post by Tab »

If you want it hard enough and work hard to complete the course then you should stand a good chance of getting in. It is that spirit inside of you that drives on when you your body is telling you that is enough that is being tested.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

you have to want that maroon lid 110%. Id suggest now if you have any distractions that may hamper your progress bin them or sort them so that they wont distract i.e moaning girlfriends or any financial commitments that may become a chain around your neck.
'Every man an Emperor'
FuturePara

Post by FuturePara »

Ok well my fitness is not amazing I would say its good but I need to work harder but I have brilliant determination (i've been told this over the years) i never give up not matter if i have a stitch or i just cant go any further i just keep running until i faint lol its happened a few times :)
So whats it like when you go start phase 1 training in Catterick do they treat you like s*** but then the build you up again thats what i have heard. Also will i meet good lads in there or are they gunna be stuck up c**** cause they are training for the paras?
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

Would you think that if you was in their shoes? Probably not. You will all be in there for the same reason, to be a para. Yeah they will probably treat you like s*** but you just got to prove that your better than them, better than the best and there to prove it.
application form : done
BARB test : passed 82
Medical : Broke my wrist so 12 months wait before reapply.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I was never treated like Sh!t when I trained as a Para. It was matter of fact if you could do the tasks set then that was fine if you couldn't then you were shipped out.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

FuturePara wrote:Ok well my fitness is not amazing I would say its good but I need to work harder but I have brilliant determination (i've been told this over the years) i never give up not matter if i have a stitch or i just cant go any further i just keep running until i faint lol its happened a few times :)
So whats it like when you go start phase 1 training in Catterick do they treat you like s*** but then the build you up again thats what i have heard. Also will i meet good lads in there or are they gunna be stuck up c**** cause they are training for the paras?
Mate your fitness needs to be at the very peak just to pass PRAC. They really don't need anyone now so they are very picky. When you start basic training you need to be even more fitter. I thought I was and got found out big style! Long runs, hill reps and upper body stuff is what you need to concentrate on (press up's, sit up's etc) Determination is not just a running through a stitch mate, it's doing bayonett training in the morning, then a 5 mile tab in the afternoon (what a day that was!).

The lads I have met mate are all mega (except a few), but you can't get on with everyone! Be yourself and don't go around gobbing off and you will be fine.

They don't treat you that bad, if you mess up, you will be "corrected"! :wink: Do what they say, when they say, and you will have no drama's!

Good luck! :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
perry91

Re: How hard is it to join the Paras?

Post by perry91 »

i passed prac in feb and i wont lie its f***ing hard! my training/nutrition is solid but didnt stop me having to find that something inside. in my opinion and the impression i got its about the effort you put in do you keep going even thou theres nothing left if you have that you will get thier attention regardless remember they don't expect you to be as fit as them just show them that your worth there time to train you. remember it starts when you think theres nothing left thats when you see who's who.