Share This Page:

Some Questions.

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Leyton1990

Some Questions.

Post by Leyton1990 »

Can I join the parachute regiment having to wear glasses. (-2.00)?

Is PRAC Done before ADSC or after?

In what week do you do P Company at ITC Catterick & how long is it for?

If you fail P-Company what happens?

Can i join the Para 1 bat having to wear glasses (if im selected) ?

When parachuting are you supplied with prescription goggles?
bored_stupid

Re: Some Questions.

Post by bored_stupid »

Leyton1990 wrote:Can I join the parachute regiment having to wear glasses. (-2.00)?
Yes, you can still join the Paras even if you wear glasses so long as you meet the general Army requirements.
Leyton1990 wrote:Is PRAC Done before ADSC or after?
It's done after ADSC.
Leyton1990 wrote:In what week do you do P Company at ITC Catterick & how long is it for?
P Company is done approx week 22 and the tests are conducted over a period of a week.
Leyton1990 wrote:If you fail P-Company what happens?
You get back squadded to a junior platoon and have another crack at it with them, alternatively you can be binned and sent off to another Regiment.
Leyton1990 wrote:Can i join the Para 1 bat having to wear glasses (if im selected) ?
As far as I know you would be but I wouldn't bother worrying about anything like that for now. Oh and I think it's worth mentioning that it's 1 Para not Para 1.
Leyton1990 wrote:When parachuting are you supplied with prescription goggles?
No idea at all about that one sorry.
Tab

Post by Tab »

What makes you think that you will get into 1 Para which is SFSG straight from training.
Leyton1990

Post by Leyton1990 »

Tab wrote:What makes you think that you will get into 1 Para which is SFSG straight from training.
If you read the post probably it says in brackets "if im selected" and I know how hard it is and the 2-3 year waiting period.
Leyton1990

Post by Leyton1990 »

Bored stupid thanks for the answers.
SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

Leyton1990 wrote:
Tab wrote:What makes you think that you will get into 1 Para which is SFSG straight from training.
If you read the post probably it says in brackets "if im selected" and I know how hard it is and the 2-3 year waiting period.
Entire platoons can go straight to 1 Para when they pass out.
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
mutter1

Post by mutter1 »

It's a bit of a more round-a-bout way from the RM's, first you join, then you spend a minimum of a year in service, apply get sent to the FPGRM, who run the selection course, pass that, get posted......

sorry about the off topic, it's just how different each service get's people there.

PS I have no first hand knowlage of any of this, I got this from the career officer at the recruitment centre.....discussing what I (as an Irish citizen) could do or not do.
Slogging my way towards being a Bootneck....not long now.
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

mutter1 wrote:It's a bit of a more round-a-bout way from the RM's, first you join, then you spend a minimum of a year in service, apply get sent to the FPGRM, who run the selection course, pass that, get posted......

sorry about the off topic, it's just how different each service get's people there.
The big difference is there's no where near as many Marines in SFSG as there are Paras. Therefore the Paras do the bulk of the work which will mean more casualties etc.. so it's necessary to take lads straight from training from time to time in order to keep the manpower levels up.