Share This Page:

Help please

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
mrjim

Help please

Post by mrjim »

Hi There

Have always fancied joining up and when I got made redundant a few months back I decided to go for it at the ripe old age of 30! Well I went on the Paras insight course and they said I did pretty good just needed to shave 30s of my 1.5 mile (which I have now done).

However on my initial application I told them that I broke my ankle over 10 years ago and had a plate fitted. So I got a letter the other day saying that I had been rejected because of this!! I am gutted as I have set my heart on getting in and this injury causes me no problem whatsoever (infact it is stronger than the other one). I have snowboarded and run etc for years and managed all the events on the insight course fine and cant believe they think I am not robust enough.

I am gonna appeal it but wondered if you guys could offer me any help on the matter? I was considering joining 4 para whilst doing the appeal but would they knock me back too?

Thanks in advance (and sorry bout long post)
Tab

Post by Tab »

Think about it from their point of view, when you parachute you have a pile of kit strapped to you could be jumping in strong winds and you can land with one hell of a clatter. Broken bones are not unusual and if you start of with a plate in your ankle it must mean that it has been broken quite badly. Now if they accepted you and you damaged your ankle then they are looking at paying you of with a pension for life.
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

I think the reason you've been rejected is because there's a risk of the plate and pins being dislodged and getting infected.

I fractured my knee years ago and had to have a plate and pins fitted and the consultant told me I'd need them taken out if I wanted to join the Forces as they're not keen on internal metal work and that was one of the reasons he gave me. He was in the Naval Reserve too so I'm sure his info was gen.

As for 4 Para, you wont pass the medical requirements for them if you've been rejected for the Regulars as the medical standards are the same for both Regular and TA.

It's a real shame mate, keep your chin up though.
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

im suprised to be honest i had/have two pins a plate and some wires in my right wrist and they said nothing about it apart from when i went up to selection at edinbourgh and the doc just made me do press ups to see if it was hindering me at all which its was and still is but just had to grit me teeth and bear it and nothing has ever been said about it again
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Was the rejection letter from the AFCO office or from the Paras? there used to be a hotline on paras website for any potential applicants new or rejoining that were having problems from 'helpful' people in careers offices. Idont know what 'helpfull' in this context meant/implied but the fact they put up a number I'd assume there were a few 'difficulties' floating around. give it a try or do a bit more digging. good luck.
'Every man an Emperor'
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

If he's been knocked back on medical grounds it wouldn't have anything to do with an AFCO. The decision would probably have been made by the medical staff at his local ADSC.

It was nearly 10 years ago that I was given that advice and it could be they were more lenient when Sky Ninja Steve joined up. They do chop and change what is/isn't acceptable due to recruitment and therefore it could simply be a case that now they're not short of recruits they've gone back to the old way of doing things?
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

yeah i think thats prob right i know the army especially 3 para are up to about 98% manning so they can afford to be a bit more picky
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
mrjim

Bloody ankle

Post by mrjim »

Thanks for the replies fellas, the letter was from a doctor up in Scotland, went through AFCO not para. I can see what some of you are saying with the chances of injury/infection and so on, but most young lads have broken bones in the past.

The metal in my ankle makes the damn thing stronger and like I said I have thrown my body around for years since and have been paragliding for a couple of em. I know its not military parachuting but at least shows I can take a fair a bit on it. Suppose like you guys say if they can pick and choose at the moment, I might not be the best candidate compared to a fit young 18 y.o. :(

Anyway gonna try and speak to someone in the reg to see if there is anything I can do and maybe help my appeal, who knows the old donkey might scrape through.

Cheers again
ofens

Post by ofens »

Sounds like game over, really sorry :cry: however you can look at other options within the forces.
Some of us have to do that, and we still go on to lead normal and extremely happy productive and worthwhile lives! :P

This will not console you, but when you get over it (and you will) you'll have other options which may turn out to be better.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]