Share This Page:

Can i get my 1.5 mile time down with 6 months Preperation?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
RamboRob

Can i get my 1.5 mile time down with 6 months Preperation?

Post by RamboRob »

I'm doing 1.5 mile in 11 minutes at the moment im about half a stone over weight and runnig about 4 miles every day.

My careers officer said ill be looking to get in after xmas now, surely if i stay commited its ample time to get superfit?

Any training suggestions would be really helpfull cheers

Ps i'm a re-joiner, i used to be in the light dragoons, thats why its taking ages getting my 203 from Glasgow.
eleven

Post by eleven »

i started training about 6 weeks ago and was runing the mile and a half in 12 mins since then ave lost 22lbs and got it down to 9.35mins i am still around a stone overwieght so will be looking to get under 9mins i train 5 days a week boxing monday tuesday thursday and friday and a army r u up for it day on wednesdays so if u have 6 months theres noway why you cant get the time way down mate
barb test-66 passed 27/7/2009
interview-done 11/8/2009
medical-in Progress failed
can re apply july 2011
goin-para-

Post by goin-para- »

happenin mucker wana get quicker run times mate

once a week sprint for a min straight flat out then walk for 1 min so on and so on for 10 times... that really really helps you get quicker !!

PRAC TUESDAY KAAAAAAAAAAM AAAAAAAAAAAAAN
ofens

Post by ofens »

RamboRob, 6 months should be plenty of time mate, and it sounds like you're already working hard!

Common advice you'll read/hear is not to run hard every day, as it can lead to injury - so mix it up a bit with non-impact stuff (swimming, cycling) every other day.
Do a search through the forums (Paras joining & training and also Marines joining and training - the two are naturally full of similar info), there's loads in there for someone in your position.

Keep it up and good luck :D

ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Richard

Post by Richard »

You can increase your speed by doing lapost to lapost sprints, or jogging lenght weighs of a football pitch and sprinting the width.
Hope that helps.

Rick.
SandyTheGuvnor

Re: Can i get my 1.5 mile time down with 6 months Preperatio

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

RamboRob wrote:I'm doing 1.5 mile in 11 minutes at the moment im about half a stone over weight and runnig about 4 miles every day.

My careers officer said ill be looking to get in after xmas now, surely if i stay commited its ample time to get superfit?

Ps i'm a re-joiner, i used to be in the light dragoons, thats why its taking ages getting my 203 from Glasgow.

Can you define what you mean by "superfit" as i am willing too bet your idea of superfit is a lot different to mine ?
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
goin-para-

Post by goin-para- »

SandyTheGuvnor wrote:
RamboRob wrote:I'm doing 1.5 mile in 11 minutes at the moment im about half a stone over weight and runnig about 4 miles every day.

Can you define what you mean by "superfit" as i am willing too bet your idea of superfit is a lot different to mine ?
a think when you are training byt ur self i think you can only push ur-self so far! and when training you feel fit and fresh and healthy... but superfit lol ???? am no where near that a need the right help and team to make be that ! lol
good luck all .. stick at it muckers
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

stay off the booze, eat more carbs and stodgy food and train like a demon. dont be afraid of rest - you dont have to train 7 days a week! the older you are the longer it takes to get fitter anyway but 6 months is more than enough time. personally if i were wanting to increase my 1.5mile time and i were reapplying id be doing a series of runs. one would be short and fast.another would be around five or six miles fartlek and at end of the week id aim for ten or more miles gentle jog, perhaps get a pack and go for a hike up in the lakes maybe 20 or so miles - pure pleasure. id do that for a month or so then do my 1.5miler all out best effort and record the time.i'd then carry on with my routine and see if i can beat my 1.5mile time in another month or so.
good luck.
'Every man an Emperor'
RamboRob

Post by RamboRob »

SandyTheGuvnor wrote:

Thanks for the replies!! ok i mean by superfit, fit enough to be doing the 1.5 mile in around 8 minutes withought being totally gassed!! (thats my super fit lol)

I'm 23 about 5ft9 and 14 stone, and play rugby, the only concern i have, my body is compact like a sprinters body soo its not built for long distance, but im punishing myself to do that anyway because the Para's is my goal.

Ps during serious training is it a good idea to quit the booze? or is like a sat night out on the town going to destroy my hard work?
ofens

Post by ofens »

Yeah try and cut the booze down mate,
It's OK to have a few on the weekend but it does play havoc with recovery time and your body's adaption to the exertion - so ideally as little as possible.
But don't become a hermit! :wink:
my body is compact like a sprinters body soo its not built for long distance
It will take time to adapt but we all have to do that to achieve our goals (whatever they may be), maybe try to get some advice from a professional trainer or instructor who might have experience of such a transition.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Richard

Post by Richard »

RamboRob wrote:
SandyTheGuvnor wrote:
RamboRob wrote:
Ps during serious training is it a good idea to quit the booze? or is like a sat night out on the town going to destroy my hard work?
If you have passed PRAC and awaiting a date to come depot i wouldnt touch booze. It wont kill you having one or two, i diddnt drink till i passed week 6 and went on my long weekend.

Rick.