Share This Page:

1.5 mile run

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
eleven

1.5 mile run

Post by eleven »

wanted to ask about the 1.5 mile run that has to be done in under 9.40.
whats the run like is it flat or with hills,also what kit do you wear running shoes or boots.
could ppl also post there times.
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

the run is done on flat ground usualy, with trainers.
gpw2009

Re: 1.5 mile run

Post by gpw2009 »

eleven wrote:wanted to ask about the 1.5 mile run that has to be done in under 9.40.
whats the run like is it flat or with hills,also what kit do you wear running shoes or boots.
ADSC: 9.18 in trainers, nice flat course
Depot: Looking at under 9.00 in trainers, hills and a hard warm up to start with, but still in trainers :D

P.B 8.48
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
Ryan_13531

Post by Ryan_13531 »

eleven wrote:wanted to ask about the 1.5 mile run that has to be done in under 9.40.

the one i did today was horrible it was slope down hill then up bricky stones up hill i failed but go back in 2 weeks reason i got 14 min on the run they told me to drop my run to 13 min
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

As long as you can pass the time at adsc, and can show average upper body strength you will be fine, unless you're a complete mong on the command/team tasks, which i'm sure your not :wink:

As you asked, 8:36 is my best recorded time.
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

gpw2009 wrote:
ADSC: 9.18 in trainers, nice flat course
Depot: Looking at under 9.00 in trainers, hills and a hard warm up to start with, but still in trainers :D

P.B 8.48
Yes I would agree with Gpw, the course at PRAC has a few hills, not ridiculously big but they do catch you out - especialy after the 3.5 miles you've just ran.
Use www.mapmyrun.com and mark out a route with a few hills on just to get used to running hills on you're 1.5mile.

I got 9.03 at ADSC and 9.03 at PRAC.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

_Mark_ wrote:As you asked, 8:36 is my best recorded time.
That's my goal now mucker! :D

Not done PRAC but done it in training :D

eleven

Post by eleven »

right ave done the 1.5 mile run a few times now at a quite fast jogg pace a could push myself faster a bit but am still doing it in 11 mins also i have a sauna suit on to help lose some extra weight but doing it in around 9 mins must just be a sprint for the whole mile and a half is that how you guys are doing it by sprinting the whole way ?
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Not really a sprint mate, just a nice quick pace all the way through.

The best way to get your time better is interval training. What I did (still do sometimes) is run round a football pitch once, then sprint down one side run the other three. Then sprint one side and the top (behind the goal) then run the other two, then sprint one side, behind the goal and down the other, run the last. Then sprint the whole thing. Rest and repeat a few times, and go from there.

Also the lines of the pitch i.e sprint to the 6 yard line, run back, sprint to the 18 yard line run back, sprint to the edge of the centre circle, run back and do all the other lines. Rest and repeat again.

Also do the runs like you have, and just push yourself hard, and it will come mate!

Good luck! :D

gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

before I joined my best time was about 9.15. while i was in my best time was about 8.20. As has been said keep working at it and it should come good, but you HAVE to beast yourself silly for your body to adapt. In my opinion/experience a good gauge of how your pushing yourself is to do an exercise that is 110% hard work. A good one for me was a croos country run and half way find a steep hill and sprint up it a few times. If your wanting to puke it means your thrashing yourself! its a lot easier to push yourself harder than normal if you have a like minded training partner.
'Every man an Emperor'
eleven

Post by eleven »

still bit off my run time done it in 10.12 and that was me pushing myself should i try running with a weighted jacket on so when my test run happens i go faster ?
barb test-66 passed 27/7/2009
interview-done 11/8/2009
medical-in Progress failed
can re apply july 2011
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

I wouldn't run with weight, You said you've gotten it down to that time like, so if you just keep doing things like what gpw said then it'll come down even more
goin-para-

my time

Post by goin-para- »

av got my 1.5 mile down to 8 mins bang on .... cause a used to run for Edinburgh for 3 years..... you wont get quicker at ur run ???? you dont have to sprint it but a fast quick pase is all you need to do.. dont tire ur self at the start you wont to sprint the end of it........

football butch run is the coven box... cause its feels like death but is great ..... jog 3 sides sprint the last side... then jog 2 sides sprint 2 sides untilll you have finishe but it is hardcore lol
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Drop the text speak please goin-para-...

If you get in the habit of maintaining your own standards now, it will help you a lot when you get in!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
eleven

Post by eleven »

a bunch of us did the 1.5mile run today i got 9.58 but started of far to fast and ended up having to slow right down to almost a walk 3 times if a just run at a vasy steady pace i think ill get the 9.30 in the next week or 2
barb test-66 passed 27/7/2009
interview-done 11/8/2009
medical-in Progress failed
can re apply july 2011