Share This Page:

Too old to join para's

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Sammye

Too old to join para's

Post by Sammye »

Hi Im 26 and finally came to the conclusion that I want to join the para's a life long ambition I have had some advice though that I am pushing it really on the age side! just wanted to make sure everyone else thought the same and that really the para's is a young mans game!?

Cheers guys
Tab

Post by Tab »

The speed that they take on recruits it could take 6/9 months before they call you up for training. Then there is guarantee that you will pass the P Company, then what would you do???. Also just how fit do you think you are, now read some the posts on fitness and ask your self can I do that and how long would it take to get that fit. Try contacting the Airborne shop and try and get a video of what the training is all about, I think channel 4 did on about P Company. I am not saying that you can't do it, but the later you start the harder it can get.
mike_B

Post by mike_B »

You can join as an officer up to age 29. Just a thought.

Mike_b
got1

Post by got1 »

A "lad" 35yrs old ex matelot passed out in my platoon.
Harry I don't know if your here but I wish I had a di6k your size.
Green with envy.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Got1 Just how long do you think a 35 year old would last in the Regiment, would he get 5 or even 10 years in before his body gave up the ghost.
Most of the people that go in start from 17/18 years of age and do the 20 years these days, and by the time they reached that age they have developed problems with joints and tendons. Many of the people that I know in our Regimental Association are carrying injuries that they can trace back to their service in the Battalion. This is the reason that I say it is a young mans game.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
got1

Post by got1 »

Tab,
I do see your point, but at 35 you could still do a 3yr engagement.
I don't know how long "Harry" did. As regards injuries, I carried a few myself that didn't bother me until later in life.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Got1,,,agreed mate, but if you had a good job that paid well at that age would you not think that the TA would give most of what he is looking for,
rather than give it up just for a few years. Then there is problem that he might not serve long enough to pick up a full pension, and he would have to scrape around when he comes out trying to make a living. Well thats my thoughts on it.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

The TA is a much better bet. You're still trying to be a Para, but you just don't have the luxury of full-time training. You still have to do P Coy and earn the maroon beret. There's no short cut to it. Still the same pain.

Once you're in, you can opt to do a 3, 6 month or 1 year attachment to 1, 2 or 3 Para. The cut-off age is 32, i believe.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
thenewshmoo_1

Post by thenewshmoo_1 »

you are on the old side for service, as am i (24), but if its something you want to do, go ahead and do it. I wouldn`t let 6 years stop you. Having said that you will be behind people who are much younger than you with courses and rank but if its a life long ambition then do it. good luck
Keep Britain Tidy
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

When your around 24-26yrs old your in your prime, thats the age where your most likely to pass P-Coy!
got1

Post by got1 »

[quote="Gunn"]When your around 24-26yrs old your in your prime, thats the age where your most likely to pass P-Coy![/quote]

That may be the case with people coming to do P Coy from other units, it is certainly not the case with Para Reg recruits.
Sully

Post by Sully »

You don't need to be 'in your prime' to pass what after all is a military course designed to weed out people who can't perform a particular military function. It's not an olympic gold medal. I've no experience of P Coy or para basic training but I do know that it's possible for a 26 year old to pass bootneck basic training, which, having worked with paras before, I would imagine is broadly similar.

Sam, at the first cautionary post about your age from Tab, which was reasonable enough, although I wouldn't agree with it, you wrapped your hand in and gave up on the idea. I can't imagine the paras want people with that approach. Seeking moral support for your inertia is fair enough but you won't get it from me. I had all sorts of armchair wallahs tell me that I wouldn't be able to do it - but I did, b*****s to them.

What I will say is that you haven't got much time - if you really want it, do it. Take your mind off a lightweight option or one that fits into your current lifestyle until you've made the real decision. If and when you do it you will need to be totally committed. And, as I said before, it's worth every drop of sweat and blood. Good luck.
Per Flank, Per Tank
Tab

Post by Tab »

Sully, Yes it is possible for Sammye to pass the P Course, but the older he gets the harder it becomes. Many who join the regiment do so at 17/18 years of age and do full 20 years and get their pension. Now if you have have a well paid job in civie street, should you throw it away for a shot at becoming a Para. What would happen if he did not pass the course, where would it leave him. Now most of the people he would be serving with would by then have about 10 years seniority over him so what would be his chances of further promotion before he had to leave the regiment. Now if he had a commission in the forces that would be a different story.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Wings

Post by Wings »

Sammye, I'm 24 now, 25 in a few months time. I start Para basic in 4 weeks time. To me my age was never an issue, it is something I want to do so I'm going to do it. Like Tab says, you might find it harder going than the younger lads but thats what its all about, not giving up and pushing yourself well past your limits.
For me though, I had just returned from traveling when I applied, so didn't have a career or well paid job to throw away.
If it's something you want to do, you won't have to think about it too long. It's possible so don't put obstacles in your way!

Wings
Passed RSC - 21st July 2004
Start Basic Training - 10th October 2004
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

What about all those thirty somethings who manage to pass the All-Arms P Coy course? If you're fit enough, you're young enough. You've just got to want it enough.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.