Share This Page:

July 13th, 1985 The Greatest Show On Earth

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
bootneck

July 13th, 1985 The Greatest Show On Earth

Post by bootneck »

I meant to put this on two days ago, but as i`ve been busy, haven`t had time. This event took place 19 years ago, and had a world audience, and raised,(in excess of $100 million) and is still raising money. SO, why the fark are so many people still starving in the countries that the money was raised to help? Some money was spent on buying kit, like water pumps, so the people could pump water out of the ground, rather than drink the shyte that they were drinking out of the rivers.They were supplied with irrigation pipes, so they could get water to the crops they were supposed to be planting. They were given seed, so they could plant their own crops again, OK, the climate isn`t exactly ideal for growing many crops, but i doubt there was any enthusiasm on the part of the Natives, to get their arses in gear and get the seed planted. Basically, it looks as though $100 million , has gone for a ball of chalk, and the only thing they have to show for it, is a load of idle barstools still sitting on their arses, waiting for the next aid vehicle to trundle up the old dirt track, with their daily ration of rice and bread.

I brought this to light, as i hear bob geldof, is thinking of doing another live aid gig, to raise even more coin, to throw in the direction the last 100 million dollars was throw, down the heads. OK, this is the 21st century, and people shouldn`t be living in the shyte conditions these people are living in, but at the end of the day, isn`t it Their responsibility, to get their arse in gear, and provide for their own families? instead of coming cap in hand asking Joe Soap for some more of his hard earned coin.

there is a link, if you so desire to check out the facts :roll:

http://live-aid.chez.tiscali.fr/

http://www.herald.co.uk/local_info/live_aid.html
davo141

Post by davo141 »

I agree and disagree with you there bootneck

we should help these people, but surely the corruption and what not in these countries our money is just going and going and going!

It would be nice if we could help these people but yes they do have to help them selves!!

Look at Zimbarb', they mite aswel as been a country in the medieval times with there situation, why invade Iraq on such fabriacated issues when Big Rob M is doing that?

Money is not always the answer, surley if we gave them equpitment instead of coin we know what its been used for instead of funding governments and arms and so forth!

DAvo
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
ED

Post by ED »

This type of shit really pisses me off. Why the f@#k do we constantly have to bail these fu**ers out of the shit?
Our fu**ing health service is a joke, and we've got pensioners who've served in war for our country, struggling day by day to pay their bills! Lets get our own house in order before looking elsewhere in the world. That's the problem these days. Too many fu**king do-gooders with fu**ed up priorities.
Cheers,
ED.
bootneck

Post by bootneck »

Davo, i don`t begrudge helping them, the thing is, they reley too much on this so called help, they literally have to get their own arses into gear, and start fending for themselves. OK, there are probably a couple of waring factions in the country, who most likely steal anything that isn`t bolted down, but as you say, give them equipment, thats been done, and has been sucessful in some countries, but others just want the easy life, the easy life that has been thrown at them, by us, the west. We could move onto the ever growing threat of AIDS, they couldn`t keep their pecker in their pants to literally save their lives. They are not educated to the dangers that face them, and even if they had been educated about the final outcome, they`re probably that thick that they wouldn`t understand it anyway.
Its a bit like this country, in some respects, if you go to the Doc`s with a virus, or something simular, the Doc, will examin you and give you a prescription, you go down the chemist, get your pills etc, return home, pop a couple and then start to get better, and once you feel better, you stop taking the pills. Yes, i`m a culprit of that as well, i think we`ve probably all done it, but thats how a new strain of the virus/flu or whatever starts, and the new one is a little more wiser than the one it has just taken over from, and the next time the Doc gives you the same drugs, the little virus that waits inside you, just laughs at the drugs, and carries on wrecking havoc with your body.
shyte, a bit off the garden path there, but hey, spline vented. :lol:
Tab

Post by Tab »

The thing that gets me is the number of people that have there fingers in the till before the money gets where it is going. There was a case a few years back where Oxfam had this great idea of sinking a large number of wells in a dry area to help the people out. What happened next, they all went out and purchased Goats and cattle, well these animals ate all the vegation in sight then they starved to death along with their owners. It does look at times what ever you do is bound to fail.
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

It's now pretty much accepted that monetary aid doesn't work, as it's speant on crazy schemes. What's needed is sustainable aid, e.g. local parts, train locals to operate & repair equipment. Giving them a few million is gonna go nowhere near the people, as many of the ehads of states for LEDCs are dictators and care only about their luxury. i'm a bit of an expert on this topic cause I do A level geography!