Share This Page:

Press Up No.s

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
wannabe_bootneck

Press Up No.s

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

Press Up numbers then, well on the Recruit Fitness guide at the top of the forum, the permanent thread, it states recruits are looking for 70 press ups, whereas a number of people, those coming back from PRIC among them say, that in week 1, or screening week, the Regiment is looking for about 45 press ups and near 70 sit ups? Just wondering what the final decision is as I nearly have that elusive 45 cracked, just a few more weeks work, then again I spose after 45, 70 comes easy. Someone with current knowledge shut the debate up for once and all.
Mal

Post by Mal »

A sgt from 2 para told me that they will be looking for you to be able to do a minimum of about 40 pressups and about 50 situps. Ideally, you should be aiming for about 80 or something. The sgt who told me I should be aiming at about 40 has recently been a sgt in depot.
Sig657

Post by Sig657 »

At begining of basic you are expected to do 45 pressups and 50 situps by end of the 12 weeks you are expected to do 70 pressups n 80 situps.
If its not rainning its not trainning
Cinder

Post by Cinder »

bootneck, you want to be a para now??

Good choice.. ;)
wannabe_bootneck

Cinder, things are all up in the air at the min. in my head, to be honest, RM is out my head now, but still mixed over Paras or RAF Reg. Quite fancy doing both in my career and in that case I think it would make most sense to go RAF Reg. first.
Cinder

Post by Cinder »

Ah, okay.. well, all the best with whatever choice you do make mate.

Cinder..

:angel:
reflective

Post by reflective »

Ok wannabee bootneck, do not get me wrong because I am not screwing with you in anyway nor do I have any intention of dis-respecting you.
There is no decision to make, certainly not as far as the paras are concerned. You either wanna be a para or you don't!
The point is to succeed in the paras you should know fully in your mind that, that is what you want to do and achieve with total disregard to anything else.
Similar posts have been made by para_recruit (hard decision) however I hold no respect for this guy whatsoever and that is not the case as far as you are concerned.
I just hope you make the right decision for yourself because I sincerley believe that you cannot enter a training environment such as the parachute regiment without being 100% committed and knowing full well in your own mind that para reg is the only unit for you.
I wish you luck with your choice.
Cheers.

Post by Guest »

reflective wrote:You either wanna be a para or you don't!
The point is to succeed in the paras you should know fully in your mind that, that is what you want to do and achieve with total disregard to anything else.
Load of sh*t in my opinion. As i have stated to Minimac, i am not 100% focused on being a Para because i am concidering other units, to keep my options open. I am going to have look round and then do selection for a couple of units and see what the results are and take my pic basically. I am obviously going to be motivated and committed when i attend those selection courses because otherwise it = failure. It is not until i start training, after selection that i need to be focused on just 1 unit...my unit.
I sincerley believe that you cannot enter a training environment such as the parachute regiment without being 100% committed and knowing full well in your own mind that para reg is the only unit for you.
Again, this is only true when you are only concidering 1 unit. But i agree with it in the sense that you need to be committed to pass the training, at an early stage however it is not that important, especially if you are looking at a number or units. I am looking forward into the big picture and that i want to be in an infantry outfit (there are plenty of them) and i want one with tough physical demands. This is my goal, my aim and i am determined to get there.

James
wannabe_bootneck

Well if I choose to serve with the paras, obviously that will be my focus, but as I stated, I think I would enjoy doing both in my career and therefore which ever unit or indeed force I choose I shall give it my all, rest assured.
Tab

Post by Tab »

James{future Para} Now if you don't know what you want by now are you sure that forces will suit you. May be you just need some one tell you what to do all your life, well in that case tha Para's are not for you, they expect their men to think and be postive what they call Aiborne Initiative.
So chose some thing and do it, do we need to hear each day I may do or I may do that, the time you make your mind up you will be getting your pension.
wannabe_bootneck

Congrats on the promosion to Mod. TAB, leading the way as ever ey?
reflective

Post by reflective »

Tab, I fully agree with you, this is the point I am trying to make.
All I am getting at with my above post is that week after week people are coming on here (usually the same people) and ummming and arrring about whether to do this or do that and as you say it will be pension time before they know it!!
A couple of people around here just need to bite the bullet, grab hold of their balls and go for it!!
Cheers.

Post by Guest »

reflective wrote:A couple of people around here just need to bite the bullet, grab hold of their balls and go for it!!
I assume you mean me?

Well let me tell you something...I am in Sixth Form, OK, still at school if you like. It was an immature decision on my part to set my heart purely on the Paras, because the way i see it now is that however hard i try, i have to cover my back and consider all worst case senarios, for example if i was to fail the para POC. It is therefore wiser to try for a number of different units, look at the end results, i.e. which ones i pass and which i fail (if any) and then pick the best one to go for.

That is my plan of action mate, and it has been aprooved by my Officer Careers Advisor, and is thus none of your business to tell me to do otherwise, and tell me that i have to choose one reg/corps and go purely for it. Ballsh*t in my opinion, keep your options open and play on your strengths.

I am nearly 17, and i still believe i have time to play out my options and explore the possibilities, ultimatly at MY disposal.

James
reflective

Post by reflective »

Ok then chap, look at it from an interviewers or boards point of view, They will obviously want to see that you are 100% committed, dedicated and all the rest of it, to the specific reg/corps for which you are being interviewed. They could quite easily draw an inference that you would not be due to your interests with other regiments or corps (covering your back) or whatever reason you want to give for it.
I understand what you are saying and appreciate the position you could end up in (failure or non acceptance) to your chosen regiment.
Just have the right answer ready when they DO question this.
I can't see you having a problem though as you seem to have an answer for everything!!!!

Post by Guest »

I can't see you having a problem though as you seem to have an answer for everything!!!!
To live up to that....
reflective wrote:Ok then chap, look at it from an interviewers or boards point of view, They will obviously want to see that you are 100% committed
I am of course going to be determined and committed to get into whatever i try for, as it is in my best interests to 'open as many doors as possible' (metephorically speaking) for my future career, so that i can choose the best suited reg/corps for me. As for the interviewers, i am sure they will understand my reasoning behind this and i will explain that by no means is their reg/corps second best to me. I am sure they will see this when i actually do selection and my enthusiasm, determination to succeed and leadership will shine. 8)

James