Share This Page:

Medical

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Random Data

Medical

Post by Random Data »

Is it possible to join having had a neck operation without further complications?
Rover

Re: Medical

Post by Rover »

That would depend on your medical history and the Doctors report.

“With reference to your application to enter the Naval Service, an appointment has now been made for you to be medically examined by a Service Doctor. You should report to [location of medical examination] at [time/date]

It is important that before attending this appointment you should discuss your past medical history with your parents/guardian to ensure you can answer any questions that the Doctor may ask. If you suffer from a medical condition that may affect your entry as listed on page 4 and 5 of the Application Form Information and Guidance Form it is advisable to obtain written details of the condition from your Doctor and take them to your medical.”
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Random Data

Post by Random Data »

Ok thanks, I didn't think I had any chance having had an injury like that, but I suppose I'll see when I apply...
Tab

Post by Tab »

Remember that you might be joining a unit that is expected to carry heavy loads long distances on their back plus all the rough work that goes with a unit like this, so if you are not 100% fit they wont take you or you will fall beside the wayside.
Random Data

Post by Random Data »

The neck won't be a problem in actually being able to do what is asked of me (carrying heavy loads over long distances, getting bumped, falling...). I will be able to do everything. I do gymnastics (including rolling on my neck, doing headstands...), rock-climbing, hillwalking (carrying heavy loads). The problem is convincing the military doctors that the neck won't be a problem (I am aware of the fact that probably won't happen). I'm 100% sure that the neck won't be a problem, but it was written on the Royal Marines website that "certain spinal operations" were a bar to entry. I'm asking around here to get a better idea of my chances of getting in. Will it actually be possible to convince the doctors that the neck isn't a problem? After the operation, I got a piece of paper from my neurosurgeon saying that I have no limitations related to my neck, and I could get an updated version. Would showing the military doctors such a letter, even though it was written by a civilian doctor, and telling them that I do hillwalking, gymnastics... have a chance of influencing their decision, or would they not be interested in anything like that, and just make whatever decision they would have made anyway?
I might be (and probably am) wanting to do something I probably won't get to do because of my neck, but I'm just trying to gather information until I apply and find out.
Thanks to anybody for their opinion, or any information.