Share This Page:

Lower back problem

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
misterpurple

Lower back problem

Post by misterpurple »

I have an intermittent lower back pain problem. It is on the right hand side, and sometimes moves into my upper leg. It was diagnosed as a muscular strain by my GP last September. He advised rest and pain killers. I've since been again, and been told to do some exercises every morning to strengthen my back. I'm worried, understandably, because muscular strains (as far as I'm aware) shouldn't last six months, and because I've only got 5 months till my POC.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Should I see a physiotherapist? Any advice as to how to speed up recovery? Any help will be appreciated :D
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Yes.
GP's are w@nk mate.

See a physio.
Keep on the core exercises, you'll be alright.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

Go and see a good physio, GP's are just jacks of all trades and masters of none.
shamboss

Post by shamboss »

Yes go to the physio. Because the injury lasted so long it could be that you have a problem somewhere else that is causing the pain in your back.
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

Will go and see a physio near me tomorrow. Am kicking myself now, too much faith in the the medical profession :evil:. What's the advice on telling my ACLO? Obviously I don't plan on doing a POC with a back problem, but if I can get it cleared and keep my training on course, is there any harm in not mentioning it? We've all heard the horror stories of lads who've had to wait months for tests and whatnot for shin splints :o
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sounds to me like classic sciatica as it travels down your leg.
I know a lot of people don't trust Chiropractors in the UK but my back prob was sorted instantly by a Chiropractor in the US.
Problem is getting referred as I understand the NHS will not recognise Chiropractic.
Hope this helps.
Best,

Wholley.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

misterpurple wrote:Will go and see a physio near me tomorrow. Am kicking myself now, too much faith in the the medical profession :evil:. What's the advice on telling my ACLO? Obviously I don't plan on doing a POC with a back problem, but if I can get it cleared and keep my training on course, is there any harm in not mentioning it? We've all heard the horror stories of lads who've had to wait months for tests and whatnot for shin splints :o
Can't see the harm mate. As long as you're ok for the tests, don't worry about it too much.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Ste Preece

piriformas

Post by Ste Preece »

Sounds like you have a tight piriformas muscle. It's a muscle that runs across your buttock and into the bottom of your lower back. It also causes sciatica.

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Alke1980

Re: Lower back problem

Post by Alke1980 »

misterpurple wrote:I have an intermittent lower back pain problem. It is on the right hand side, and sometimes moves into my upper leg. It was diagnosed as a muscular strain by my GP last September. He advised rest and pain killers. I've since been again, and been told to do some exercises every morning to strengthen my back. I'm worried, understandably, because muscular strains (as far as I'm aware) shouldn't last six months, and because I've only got 5 months till my POC.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Should I use Back Brace For Women? Any advice as to how to speed up recovery? Any help will be appreciated :D
Hi
I have a lower back problem.I just want to suggest you that to avoid unnecessary surgery as well as inappropriate or unnecessary treatment once use the back belt.