Share This Page:

Hydration / Protein Supplements

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I use supplements on top of my diet. I usually eat 5 meal a day anyway, but when training hard I find that I get far hungrier but haven't got the physique to increase my diet further, nor do I have the time to cook more than five meals a day due to lectures and whatnot. I''ve gained from supplements, but obviously they are not essential. But they are not exactly anabolic steriods either, so using supplements is not cheating and does not neccessarily imply laziness. Of course, there are people that don't eat well and use supplements because they think it will do them wonders. For them, supplements are more of a placebo than anything else. If you don't eat well, supplements at best are only going to help you achieve a basic nutritional intake. At worst, their use may in effect make someones diet worse especially if they replace their food with supplements only.
Last edited by Dangermouse on Sat 02 Feb, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

As far as cheating is concerned, that's a load of bollocks in my view. It's no different from eating a lot of meat. I think Spence said a few things about that as well. My view is the same.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

:lol: Steroids = laziness.

Spence, AJ, some people refuse to learn just leave them be.

You don't want to use supplements because they are so horrifically evil?

Then dont.

AJ and Spence should both apologise for attempting to enlighten you. Forget about their help and advice, just go back to filling your minds with whatever the media throws at you.

Creatine made my balls drop off!!
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

ADDiction wrote:
Creatine made my balls drop off!!
That’s because you didn't use the correct PCT :roll: Idiot :lol: just makes me giggle all the myths and rumor about supplement. Things such as un-educated people informing me my muscles are all chemical because I use Whey protein etc :o

As for steroids = laziness... well we all no every top IFBB pro bodybuilder got that big by sitting on there arse and injecting a gram of test a day.

Guess some people just don’t want to sit and listen to fact rather than going of what a mate who knows a bloke who lifts weight said.

Stokey
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

ADDiction wrote:Creatine made my balls drop off!!
Yeh, I heard your quite the choir boy now. :lol:
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

jabcrosshook wrote:
ADDiction wrote:Creatine made my balls drop off!!
Yeh, I heard your quite the choir boy now. :lol:
Fan of his are you? :D

ADDiction, it's been done in again and again so I don't mind as long as the thread doesn't get ridiculous. This thread was on it's way there.

Steroids.... Lad's listen. No one should really mention that word and you shouldn't even consider taking them. It's just not worth it. The risks to your health after exposure are not worth pursuing. It almost becomes a joke. I've seen blokes with all sorts of cysts on their bodies because of their addiction to this stuff. Emotional and behaviour change can make big problems for you as well. I've also seen them draining the cysts on their body and it's just like poison. Alot of acne due to hormonal changes within their body, hair loss and I reckon one or two of those blokes probably has HIV and they don't know it. Not to mention the serious internal organ damage that is going on. A few of these guy's can't even function without taking steroids as their body just goes into rejection, just like a drug addict would on heroin. The only real difference is is that some of these blokes could actually die if they stopped taking it all together, so they have to slowly withdraw by taking smaller and smaller doses which could take years. I don't want to say it but some I think will die in the next couple of years. Organ failure or a heart attack is my guess. Why or why would you bother taking the risk??

The real danger is because once you try the stuff (there's ALOT that's available) it's easy to get hooked. Especially if you get trapped in the thinking that the steroids can get you there easier. Yes they can, but once you stop using them, your overall muscle mass will shrink and you will not have the benefit's you had while on the gear. This is why people stay on it. They can get very self-conscious about their image and this can lead to some big paranoia and you don't want to be one of those people. Ontop of all this, most people who take steroids can end up taking other drugs. Cocanie, Speed, Ecstasy, Heroin, Weed and all other sorts of drugs. It's just a big spiral downwards. Any police officer will tell you that once some people start on one drug, that often leads to them trying other stuff. The same applies to steroids. You'll take the risk on one and then you'll end up trying another. More and more people out there are being sucked into this. It's a shame.

There is no 'smart' way of taking steroids ok. Some people are very clean with them and consume or inject them at the right times and the right doses. That doesn't matter, you're still doing your body damage.

If you want to be a professional bodybuilder and compete, then go for it.
This is a Military Training forum. No steroids allowed. So there shouldn't be any chat about it as it always goes to a dead end.

End of.
AJ

Brian-

Post by Brian- »

AJtothemax wrote:Ontop of all this, most people who take steroids can end up taking other drugs. Cocanie, Speed, Ecstasy, Heroin, Weed and all other sorts of drugs. It's just a big spiral downwards.
Most people who are committed enough to use steroids don't even drink. :-?

But I agree they have no place on a military forum.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Wait wait wait,

I'm confused. I made a remark about how supplements are not steroids. No one here as far as I know suggested anything about using steroiods.

Just thought I'd make that clear in case the above posts were replies to mine.
StrongerFaster

Post by StrongerFaster »

You won't be needing protein shakes unless your doing weight lifting, if you really feel the need not to just drink water, then you should have some high sugar drink.
lewis

Post by lewis »

For what it counts I usually drink High-5 4-1 (carbohydrate:protein) on longish sessions, and then usually something like SIS Rego after hard sessions.

I think I do recover faster if I have a recovery drink soon after a session: there is quite a lot of evidence to show that recovery is optimum when the body is given food 15-20 minutes or so after excercise. In practice it is hard to sit down to a proper meal in this time, if you include warm-down, stretch, shower, then preparing the food itself.

I doesn't replace a meal, but for the relatively low cost I'd rather have the insurance policy of a protein/recovery drink.

I also have a normal-dosage multi-vitamin tablet (the kind of one that gives you 100% of the majority of vits and minerals), for the same reason - I'd rather be sure my body has every chance it can.
Spence

Post by Spence »

StrongerFaster wrote:You won't be needing protein shakes unless your doing weight lifting, if you really feel the need not to just drink water, then you should have some high sugar drink.
Interesting.

RE: Steroids.

AJ I agree with you regarding steroids and the military. They are a banned substance and if caught you will be booted. However I'm not sure I agree with the rest of your post. This thread has already gone off on a mega tangent and I don't want to add to it, maybe a discussion for another time. The only thing I will say on the subject is that use =/= abuse. They are two different animals altogether.

Here is the original post:
Where do people stand on hydration over particular running distances. Over 1.5 or 3 miles, I don't feel it's necessary or beneficial to carry water. However, on longer distances, i.e. 5 miles plus, I guess it could be considered potentially dangerous not to hydrate during the run?

Secondly, I'm thinking about starting to use a protein supplement to aid my body's recovery post-exercise, and hopefully help me develop lean muscles. I've had a look around on the interweb, but there's so many differant brands / variaties etc available. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend any particular products?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In a round about way I think they have been answered.
Hydrations on runs: I think the OP answered that one himself.
Protein: Check out my protein. Decent products, cheap as chips.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

StrongerFaster wrote:You won't be needing protein shakes unless your doing weight lifting, if you really feel the need not to just drink water, then you should have some high sugar drink.
Hate to seem picky but what the hell, nothing else to do at the moment :P

Protein shakes are a supplement, every body (training or other wise) needs protein to rebuild damaged tissue. People who train need more because of the amount of damage they do to there muscles. A runner would benefit from getting the required amounts of protein for his or her body (through shakes or otherwise) just as much as a weight lifter, not saying one doesn't need more than the other, which also depends on many other various factors.

So basically anyone who isn't getting the right amount of protein from there diet would benefit from taking a supplement .

Just being picky, but to say only a weight lifter would benefit just stood out to me and I think Spence's last post just about tied it all up so I shall say no more.

Sorry for being picky (no harm meant :P )

All the best

Stokey

P.S. I think I over used the word picky a bit there :o
freer07

Post by freer07 »

Hi all, sorry to go off the original question a bit here but my birthday was a while ago, and all my friends think I'm a gym freak so one of them bought me some Maximuscle Createmax. He said it would put my strength up and build muscle, bal bla bla my problem is I am trying to lose weight. Does this createmax make you gain weight?
Thanks in advance
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Spence I was just telling people how it is from what I've seen and heard. Nothing more mate. Yeah it had gone off the topic but in every bloody supplement thread there's always talk of cheating and steroids. It gets frustrating to read.

No drama though.
Last edited by AJtothemax on Sun 03 Feb, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ

AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Brian- wrote:
AJtothemax wrote:Ontop of all this, most people who take steroids can end up taking other drugs. Cocanie, Speed, Ecstasy, Heroin, Weed and all other sorts of drugs. It's just a big spiral downwards.
Most people who are committed enough to use steroids don't even drink. :-?

But I agree they have no place on a military forum.
We're not talking about pro's here mate. It's usually some meathead at a gym. To stick a lable on it would be wrong and it doesn't speak for everyone. You just tend to find there's a sort of trend there when you look into it a bit more.
Everyone has their own lookout though and everyone does what they want to do in life.
AJ