Share This Page:

Shoes making shin splits worse?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
therobmeister

Shoes making shin splits worse?

Post by therobmeister »

I have had shin splints for a while now and i left them to heel, but they wasnt getting any better despite not running. Well yesterday i went for my first run in ages and today my leg felt better untill i finished work when my leg was hurting again.

And finaly i realise i think its my work shoes that have been stopping it healing. Im on my feet all day walking about and my shoes have nothing more than a piece of wood between my heel and the floor.

Could it be this that is causing it or stopping it from healing? Any opinions appreciated
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

mate you need to get your feet looked at by a professional, I wish I had before starting training. I got to week 19 before finding out that I over pronate when running, if I knew this before I started I could have got orthotics. Unfortunately by this time it was too late and that was the end of my career in the marines. Shin splints just get worse through time so stop training and get the problem sorted asap...

Jim
PRMC 25th July 06 Passed
RT 18th September 06 929 Tp
MD'd after week 19

now in process of joining RMR
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

therobmeister, have you sole supports? Im not an expert or trying to be but it might be a help. Try this link:
http://www.yoursle.co.uk

jimbob, What's your situation now? Are you rejoining or did it finish you career period?

All the best

David
therobmeister

Post by therobmeister »

thanks for the replies guy

I currently use orthotics in my shoes as i too over pronate and these made a big difference, but shock when my foot hits the floor isnt good for my leg and if i have a wooden heel it does not absorb the shock at all. I have just started putting in a set of soborthanes but it doesnt seem to make a huge difference.

The shin splints are a bitch but i think they have heeled alot, jus tnot to the point where they completely go, and i think my shoes i use fo work could be due to that.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

davidemmerson wrote:therobmeister, have you sole supports? Im not an expert or trying to be but it might be a help. Try this link:
http://www.yoursle.co.uk

jimbob, What's your situation now? Are you rejoining or did it finish you career period?

All the best

David
Well I can't rejoin for 1 year, but i'v just got my own flat with my girlfriend and have a decent job so I doub't i'll join back up anyway, but I woulld strongly recommend it to anyone, I had some great times.
PRMC 25th July 06 Passed
RT 18th September 06 929 Tp
MD'd after week 19

now in process of joining RMR