Share This Page:

Sniper course

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
eagleeye

Sniper course

Post by eagleeye »

I was searching around for a sniper thread and the one i found was locked.Anyways I'm just curious about the sniper course because I have a friend who is in Fleet Projection Group RM and he's going for sniper and since I already have a talent for shooting I thought that I might apply for it, if I get a green lid first.
AJtothemax

Re: Sniper course

Post by AJtothemax »

eagleeye wrote:I was searching around for a sniper thread and the one i found was locked.Anyways I'm just curious about the sniper course because I have a friend who is in Fleet Projection Group RM and he's going for sniper and since I already have a talent for shooting I thought that I might apply for it, if I get a green lid first.
Become a Royal Marine Commando first. Then if you're lucky enough, you may be able to excell in this field.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

I did say if i get a Green Lid! :evil:
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

An aweful lot more to being a sniper than shooting!

You'll have to be smarter than normal and your fieldcraft will need to be top notch too. In short you'll need to be sh*t hot in order to do this as I understand it's a pretty popular route.

...and it's not all glory shots between the eyes from 1km away either, you'll be lying in a field for a week waiting...

...and waiting....

...you get the picture.
Aways look on the bright side of life.
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

Yeah I have an idea of what snipers do and the crap they go through to get the kill, but I would like to know what happens on the course.
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

eagleeye wrote:Yeah I have an idea of what snipers do and the crap they go through to get the kill, but I would like to know what happens on the course.
That's just what I was trying to get at, you probably won't get to kill that many people. A lot of it is recce work and scouting, gaining information, etc.

I don't of anyone on here that has done the sniper course but I know there have been several threads on it in the past so there may be some info in some of them.
Aways look on the bright side of life.
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

Thats the best bit, any normal person dosen't want to kill somebody, like you said ali it's mostly recce so i see that as preventing our troopers deaths which really appeals to me.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I am almost the same as you eagle, Once and if I have been in the marines long enough to become a sniper I'll try. I remember talking to a sniper on a 'meet the marines' day, he told me how the training was long and hard, and split in two. One half field-craft, and the other shooting and windage allowance etc.
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

Well i always find im good at what i enjoy and ive done filedcraft and shooting its not to hard at long range just the bloody wind!Anyways how do british snipers work?ie. in a pair or as an individual.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

eagleeye wrote:I did say if i get a Green Lid! :evil:
Really???..... I hadn't noticed. :evil:
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

eagleeye wrote:Well i always find im good at what i enjoy and ive done filedcraft and shooting its not to hard at long range just the bloody wind!Anyways how do british snipers work?ie. in a pair or as an individual.
oh really
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Eagle, how good can you shoot? Don't make it up and include distance, spacings, amount of rounds and sights used. I thought my scores were fantastic but others here can shoot alot better then me, and I think you will find the same. I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot but I'm getting tired and really don't know the diffrence.
I was once told most snipers stay in a platoon and move around with everybody else. I doubt you will be doing any HALO jumping behind enemy lines, giving general Koven-skoven a .50 bullet to the brain and then quad-biking it off into the sunset.
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

My average is 93 and i shoot every tuesdayadn im at Bisley at least once a month during the season.As im only a cadet i dont use telespcoic sights and at bisley my Average last year 33.2 out of 35.we only use seven rounds and i don't really know why but hey.
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

Oh sorry max distance is 600 althought im going to 1000 this sprind :P can't wait!!!!!Also i use a target rifle their crap really.
smudger289

Post by smudger289 »

to be fair its mostly about fieldcraft like people have said, i was in cadets for 4 yours and taught it to newbies, that isnt a good enough level by far mate, nither is the average bootnecks also you do have to be superfit and your navigation must be a sixth sense rather than second nature

i made our companys shooting team but the targets you shoot can be seen accuratly through your emergancy battle sights so there piss easy to maim

like has been said it will mostly be recce work or exercises waiting for the chance, youl have to be better than everybody else because there will be limeted number of places

all we were taught at cadet level is that over 300/500 metres if it is strong wind left/right you aim a full targets width in that direction same with elevation over 500 metres you have to aim above it then to the left or the right then allow for the movment of your target the terrain of the path hes taking his available cover your breathing!! etc etc hard work.

smudge :wink:
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .