Share This Page:

Random Press-ups.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

About the press-ups Andy. I would suggest that you go until failure on each advert if you can. Remember its the most amount you can do in 2minutes isn't it???

Please remember to keep correct FORM when you do it though, otherwise you know they wont count on your PRMC.

Good luck mate.

Wicked.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

At this rate he'll be spending the first part of the programme warming up, then do his 10 pressups during the ads, then miss the second half while he's cooling down again. :lol:
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Yeaaa....i can see the flaws already :-? I'm sure he'll find a way around it :P
AJ

Worthers Original

Post by Worthers Original »

I wouldn't train to failure as it will limit the number of sets you can do and you will inevitably end up "cheating" to try and push out a few more which will be of poor form. Better to do a set number and then increase that number as they become easier.

I'd suggest doing as many as it feels comfortable to do then stop but also take time out to do 3 sets per day, one after the other.
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Surely going to failure on every break is a bit over the top, you'll just get totally burnt out after a while. Little and often seems to be best for pressups, with occasional tests of course.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Well depending on what works. But do remember i did stress about Form. When doing resistance exercises or weight training, form is everything - dont ever forget that!

Not only that, but he will ineviatably be tired when hes doing his press-ups so i think its best he drills himself in training when hes tired and his muscles are f!cked! Good for mental stamina as well i think.
AJ

Hughser

Post by Hughser »

Ive been doing random pressups through out the day aswell, it helps tonnes! in a day, I try to set myself targets for example 200 or 300. Give it a try and you will see improvements!
Recruit Tests - Passed
Interview - Passed
-- Injured --
2nd Interview - Passed
Medical - Passed
PJFT - 9.39 Passed
RMAD - 20th November
PRMC - 4th December
Konassin

Post by Konassin »

It will help a lot if you carry on doing it the way you are.

To get all technical, there have been books written about the sort of training you describe, and research papers carried out by Russian sports scientists, that highly recommend it. It's know either as "greasing the groove" or "synaptic facilitation" depending on how intelligent the bloke you're talking to wants to make himself sound.

Basically, the more often you repeat a certain exercise or movement, the more efficient your body gets at it. So doing lots of small sets of an exercise over the course of a day, your body will quickly build up a level of experience at this movement, and become more efficient at it, and hence better at it.

Don't bother going to failure with it though, unless you want to test yourself or something, as it will just burn you out.

As for the warmup, if you're keeping the reps well short of going to failure, then it really isn't that necessary. You put more stress on your legs walking up a flight of stairs than you do on your arms doing 10 press ups.
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Konassin, thats an interesting point.

However, remember that by going until you hit failure is part of training your mind not to give up. You also gain an idea what your maxium potential is and therefore aim for something (increasing motivation).
rc

Post by rc »

I've read quite a bit about "Greasing the groove".

How I understand it is that it's more an effective way of increasing max strength with out gaining muscle mass via training the CNS to recruit a higher percentage of muscle fibres.

When it comes to strength endurance ( press ups ), especially in the higher rep range, I'm a bit sceptical as to it's effectiveness.

In effect with press ups you are training your muscle to keep working in the presence of lactic acid, so I would say just doing a few press ups will not produce enough stress for the body to adapt to.

As Konanssin says - I wouldn't train to failure often, but I would do enough reps to stimulate the body to adapt.

Example - if you can do say 50 press ups absolute maximum, then do say 3-5 sets of 30 - 35 reps, that way you shouldn't fatigue your muscles too much and prevent overtraining.

By all means train to failure occassionally.

Rich.
Konassin

Post by Konassin »

The way i used to mix it up, was to follow a very simple press up program for about a month, in which time i roughly doubled how many press-ups i could do.

Generally it went:

Sat - one set of press-ups til failure. Use this number as a basis for the following week.

Sunday - rest.

Mon - Fri, 3 sets of press ups, one before each meal, each one equal to half the number i did on saturday, rounding up where necessary.

Only took a few seconds at a time to do, didn't tire me out, and allowed me to continue doing my normal workout schedule without overtraining.

I've also seen it work with pull-ups, although it's harder to find a handy pullup bar sometimes when you're out and about.

So from a personal point of view, i can't recommend this type of training highly enough.