Share This Page:

Road running vs treadmill, big differance!!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
rgj-rifleman

Road running vs treadmill, big differance!!

Post by rgj-rifleman »

My treadmill had broken about a week ago so i had to start road running. Let me tell you if you are just starting to run or start running dont do it on a treadmill. The differeance is phoenominal!!!! I could run a mile in less than 6 minutes on the treadmill, as soon as i hit the road with hills and weather etc facing me its a big change. Plus you have the treadmil keeping you at a constant pace, and you have a nice warm environment with suspension to run on. Massive shock to me, i am now gettin to be a much better runner now because of simple just road running. Nothing can beat it, my treadmill is now fixed at a costly price but to hell with it, the rest of the family can use it, the road is the way to go.

Im trying now to get 4 miles in under 30 minutes, shouldnt be a problem is what your probably thinking but where i live its full of country hills and nasty roads. All the good essences of a decent run! 8)

Please trust me on this, the road is where the best training will be done.
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
In_Training

Post by In_Training »

Please trust me on this, the road is where the best training will be done.
Yeh i totally agree with this, although the treadmill is good for people just starting out though.
Im trying now to get 4 miles in under 30 minutes
Keep at it and you should be fine - The longest run ive ever done (admitadely not that much compared to some of these guys on this site) was 4.5 miles and i did it in 35 mins. Good for me.
chris5818

Post by chris5818 »

I always thought that the treadmill did all the work, as firstly your not propelling youself forward as you would be whilst street running, and secondly your not using your legs to get to a certain pace, the treadmills doing it for you, found this on the web and it tells you if you want to run on a treadmill as though your running outside than................. (tell you what you could just read the link below)

http://www.adventuresportsonline.com/treamill-speed.htm
PJFT: June o6 - 9.07
PRMC: Passed December 07
RT: February 08
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

honest to god, its so much better, 35 minutes is a really decent time mate for 4.5 miles, should be proud of yourself!!!!! I cant wait to get as good at runing as some of you fellas, my upperbody strenth is way above the standards but the running is not so great as iveposted before, keep it all coming guys.
ben1

Post by ben1 »

same here, i can sprint very well and run well as well but once i got on a treadmill i could not run at all, i found it seemed so much harder running on a treadmill than running on the road dont know why, maybe was the fact that i wasnt asctualy going anywhere and that i had no wind or anything coming against me, the room was hot and not very well ventilated and to be quite honest i hated every minute that i was on it, i looked from the spot i was looking at when i wason thre treadmill and i was all over the place i thought i was going to fall off of it to be honest!
Never Quit-Quitting is for those who are not serious about achieveing their goals.
Hughser

Post by Hughser »

not tried a treadmill yet, all my runs take place on roads.. some very nice hills where i live, so i tend to use those for the long distance runs.. of course the one thing that you dont experience on a treadmill is "runners trot" which is quite common on my 4+ mile runs!

for those of you unaware of the condition, it makes you want to go and drop your gutts at the nearest toilet during or straight after your run!!!

your face will be something like this -> :o
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

i have to agree with everyone else that running outside is much better then inside, i hate treadmills with a passion, all you do is run on the same spot for an extended period of time, theres no goal to be achieved, or sights to see, unless some broad with a nice bod comes by, but none the less you're just on that one spot, running outside for me is a pleasure, you get fresh air, and a good work out, out of it.
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

ben1 wrote:i found it seemed so much harder running on a treadmill than running on the road dont know why
I run 1.5 miles in 11:30 minutes on the road - I struggle to do it in 13:00 on a treadmill with zero incline. Maybe it's because on the road you're able to speed up easily when you're feeling comfortable and slow down when you're struggling, it's harder to do that on a treadmill as you have to change the display/wait for the belt to speed up etc.
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

GemmaLS wrote:
ben1 wrote:i found it seemed so much harder running on a treadmill than running on the road dont know why
I run 1.5 miles in 11:30 minutes on the road - I struggle to do it in 13:00 on a treadmill with zero incline. Maybe it's because on the road you're able to speed up easily when you're feeling comfortable and slow down when you're struggling, it's harder to do that on a treadmill as you have to change the display/wait for the belt to speed up etc.
i'd have to say that my scores don't have such a durastic decline as yours, but i do find i miss out on about 10-15 seconds just waiting for the thing to get up to speed.
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
Oz

Post by Oz »

Yeah hankins ive noticed the same thing as well. Ive timed the one at my gym and it takes nearly a full 30sec to pick up. This last week ive really upped the training doing 5km for the last 2 days and a 12km on the sunday but still have trouble with the old push up side of things.

Ben mate just stick at it and your times will improve just try and vary the distance. A guy that i used to work with in australia an ex aussie para recommended walking the distance which you wish to run with a bergan and just go for it fast as you can(walking not running) then have another attempt running and your time improves. I did this when i first arrived in the uk and it worked for me. But dont do it first thing in the morning out the front of a loal highschool like i did..... looked a right tit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep it up

Owen
PJFT- 15/5/2006-9:00min
PRMC-18/7/2006-PASS
RT- 2/10/2006
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

I do agree though that treadmills are good if you really dont agree with going out on the road if its a completely grogy day, its good in the aspect that you can hop in the garage and do a run, but like i said its just not as challanging as the road!!
speedfreak

Post by speedfreak »

I did both, 5km or 6.4km tradmil run in the morning and 3 mile run or 4 mile run at night.
924 Hollywood Troop.
mancuniankid

Post by mancuniankid »

I can nva run on a treadmill its so godam boring, i have only ever done my 1.5 mile training on it before the pjft now i wont use them.
PB's

1.5-8.43
3miler-18.41
Bleep Test -Lv 13
Press ups-64
Sit ups-84
Pull Ups-16
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

im debating whether i should run when i get home from work as the alarm buggered up on me this morning. I was tempted to go into the garage and you the treadmill but thought i shouldnt. I hate running after work, but i guess if i have missed a session i gotta strive to be in that 00.01% so i guess i will go out and go fro a run.

Besides when the PJFT comes up i should be well quick since im hill distance running now!!!
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

rgj-rifleman wrote:im debating whether i should run when i get home from work as the alarm buggered up on me this morning. I was tempted to go into the garage and you the treadmill but thought i shouldnt.
Why didn't you want to use the treadmill? Better than no run at all if it worries you that much mate. :)