Share This Page:

Pullups

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

Gemma,

If you struggle with full body weight pull ups on your bar at home then start by jumping to the raised position and lowering yourself only. This is a great way of starting off and also to increase reps.

Best of luck with the RAF, my brother's a Flt Lt flying hawks with 100sqn at the moment, you'll have a hell of a laugh.

Greg.
Never chop wood in a rubber dinghy.
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Well, I gave up on trying for the pull-ups and concentrated on general upper body strength. I'm sat here in the block desperately trying to cram my NBC kit into my jet pack and realised I needed my gloves and decontaminations kit. Without realising I just did 2.75 ish pull-ups to the top of my locker (palms facing away) to grab all my kit!

Am mega chuffed :D
Felias

Post by Felias »

One lad on my course got 1 because he slipped, but he did very well on everything in general and passed. :D
THinking about leaving already!
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Very basic question I'm afraid, but we've all got to start somewhere.

At the moment I can only do about 1 pull-up (it says almost 3 up the top but that was with rest between them), so I did about 5 reps of just one pull-up with rest in between each rep on Saturday. Now it's Thursday and I can't even do one - any ideas why?
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

With injuries to pullups be extremly careful you dont pullup too much on one arm, i did this about a month ago and was extrmly sore on my right shoulder and neck, couldnt turn my head without it seriously hurting,

Just thought id add that as it really shocked me, i thought it was well serious, a week passed and ok again, but still a little bit of useful information there guys :wink:
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

GemmaLS wrote:Very basic question I'm afraid, but we've all got to start somewhere.

At the moment I can only do about 1 pull-up (it says almost 3 up the top but that was with rest between them), so I did about 5 reps of just one pull-up with rest in between each rep on Saturday. Now it's Thursday and I can't even do one - any ideas why?
Well, it's a week later and I can do them again. But not being able to do them for a whole week is a bit weird. Should I be eating more protein or something?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

That happens when you're just starting out Gemma, it means you've worked hard and your muscles havent fully recovered, stick at it girl and you'll be fine :wink:
Whit are you aw aboot?
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Jimmy wrote:That happens when you're just starting out Gemma, it means you've worked hard and your muscles havent fully recovered, stick at it girl and you'll be fine :wink:
Thanks :) It was a little worrying - thought it meant I'd not be able to do them again :o
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Gemma, where you looking to go with the training you are doing? Stick at the chinups, you will soon see the results, everybody aches after a first time workout, its totally natural and means youve had a possitive effect with the training as weird as it sounds :D
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

rgj-rifleman wrote:Gemma, where you looking to go with the training you are doing?
I'm a Cadet at RAF Cranwell - but I'm on holding flight at the moment due to an injury. So I'm not really looking to go anywhere, just working on my upper body strength while I'm waiting to go back on course. I like pull-ups simply because you get a lot of muscles worked for a small amount of time - and all the machines in the gym that work those muscles are simply too big for me to use!
rgj-rifleman wrote:Stick at the chinups, you will soon see the results, everybody aches after a first time workout, its totally natural and means youve had a possitive effect with the training as weird as it sounds :D
Thanks, will do. I've not really been aching but it was the fact that I couldn't physically do them for a while that was bugging me. I thought a week between doing a work-out and them being able to do them again was a bit long - but it's been explained to me now :)

Now I've officially outed myself as a crab I'll be scuttling along now.....