Share This Page:

AIB - failed

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
westy_1981

AIB - failed

Post by westy_1981 »

hi lads,

i got back from my AIB on weds night and i'm sorry to say i was given a failure. I wasn't overly shocked to be honest as i had an absolute nightmare in my planning and discussion ex, just went to pieces basically and could hardly answer any of the questions put to me. On the whole tho i don't think i did too badly, completed my gym task in just over 5 mins, interviews went ok, and my psyche tests were on the whole avg or just above. There were 3 other RM officer candidates on my board, all of whom passed - well done lads!!! Got on really well with them, and i've no doubts they'll succeed in whatever path they choose.

I've been trying to get my head around things for the last couple of days, as after putting literally everything into becoming an RM officer for the last 9 months or so, it's a bit of a kick in the balls to find out you're not made of the right stuff. This has however not deterred me, and i'm now seriously considering joining as a recruit. (can anyone tell me how long this process would take? would i have to re-apply as i've already passed POC? will i get beasted a hell of a lot more? etc etc etc)

I've also got an RCB briefing coming up with the Pongos, but i'm not sure if the Officer path is really the one for me, as i'm beginning to get the feeling that i would enjoy the life of a bootneck far more than the stressful life of an officer.

Just wanted to finish by saying thanks for all the support and advice provided by everyone who i spoke to on this site, and i'll look forward to your points of view. Msg away lads, there can be nothing worse said than being told "i'm sorry, but you've failed."

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger - i'm definitely going to make this the case with my failure at AIB, and definitely succeed in whatever i choose to do.

Cheers lads, westy

ps - anyone want any info for AIB, ask away, and i'll aim to give you a partisan view and as much help as i can
ph1l

Post by ph1l »

Can't you try again? Sorry to hear of that but you did a grand job just getting that far. What was your topic on the discussion exercise?

Phil
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Westy in early 1970 I passed the AIB, but screwed up maths O level big time so could not join as an Officer. The recruiting office got me into the Corps within weeks. If you have passed the POC then you should get a shoe in.
Best of luck, I can remember how gutted I felt, but you just pick up the chin, (it's that chubby thing on the floor :lol: ) and get on with it. Join anyway, and start again from the inside.
Good luck.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
oban3

answer

Post by oban3 »

there was a lad in my troop who failed the AIB, but asked to go in as recruit and he was put on the next intake, he didnt have to do the prmc or anything, thats why he was the only guy on my troop who didnt have any issued boots.......
saffer

Post by saffer »

I asked for my AFCO about this. To make it official, if you pass the POC then it negates you from having to do the PRMC. So you could be going in within a few months, or next batch!!!!

Bad luck about AIB!
I was thinking about that situation - a year is a long time to wait for another shot at officer training. It seems that if I was in that situation I would feel although I was wasting time!!
You can always apply for a commission once a RM!

Good luck whatever you do Westy.
goffer

Post by goffer »

Westy i've got my AIB (RN) coming up, i've PM'ed you.....
rambo

Post by rambo »

Unlucky mate. Good luck with the future whatever you do. have you thought about joining as a normal recruit.
Listen in men give 100% or i will thrash you till your eyes bleed!

God is airborne because he failed his commando course!
[img]http://www.sodamnfunny.com/Animation/Gif/skelablow.gif[/img]
df2inaus

Joining RM - AIB fail

Post by df2inaus »

westy_1981,
I've also got an RCB briefing coming up with the Pongos, but i'm not sure if the Officer path is really the one for me, as i'm beginning to get the feeling that i would enjoy the life of a bootneck far more than the stressful life of an officer.

Sorry to hear about the AIB, the point is that you gave it a shot and learned from the experience. As for trying the RCB, if you think the planning exercise is difficult, its far less stressful than a command appointment in the field, as I discovered at RMAS. Join up as a recruit and enjoy the life rather than being under a microscope all the time. Good luck!
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
westy_1981

Post by westy_1981 »

thanks for all the support lads.

i've had a nightmare week, after failing the AIB, i fractured my thumb in 3 places on saturday, and so everything has been put back by about 6 weeks, and i can't even go the gym because of insurance problems concerning my plaster cast!!! looks like i've got a lot of road running coming up over the next few weeks. I'm thinking about getting up onto Dartmoor, for a few yomps - get used to carrying weight. Any hints or tips fellas?

Westy

PS - anyone know what the wages are for Marine, Corporal etc etc
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Westy, don't worry about carrying weights, Her Majesty's nice instructors will show you how and when. Get out and give the tracks and roads a pounding, try and increase your stamina and give yourself an advantage over the others if you do join.
Thumbs don't stop you running, good try but fail!!!!! :lol:
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
goffer

Post by goffer »

Hi Westy,

I've got my AIB (for the RN) in the not too distant future, and from what I've read the discussion and planning exercise does seem to be the hardest part. I know that Time/Distance/Speed work is one of the main areas to revise for this part of selection, but I'd be interested to hear your views on any revision tips, or anything you wished you had revised beforehand but had not.

In fact any tips you've got on any of the AIB would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your not passing, was it a total failure? as I've heard that sometimes they ask you come back or give it another try in the future. I'm sure you'll succeed in whatever you do, as it's no mean feat to pass POC to get to AIB in the first place.

Cheers in advance for any help,

Goffer
Maverick00

Post by Maverick00 »

One q Westy raised in his original post that I'd be interested to know is whether recruits are treated that much differently to YO's during training? (Apart from the obvious benefits of YO's getting to live in the plush interior of the Officer's Mess and the absolutely awesome dining room and food)
An error only becomes a failure when you fail to learn from that error...adapt and overcome
Sully

Post by Sully »

I can't answer that Maverick but one question also raised by Westy was how he might be viewed in a recruit troop. There were two POC failures in my recruit troop and they didn't get beasted any more (or any less) than the rest of us. The biffs and nobbers were savagely beasted and that included me until I managed to gradually get my act together - I stuck it out though and eventually 'switched on'. A lot of our beastings were collective so you suffered for the weakest link. One member of our team in particular didn't like the fact that I'd been to university and its hard to improve and learn with that much pressure on you (and so little rest and sleep). I spent 8 weeks of the 30 on kitbag routine - 2 were my fault and the rest were collective punishments. I'm not dripping about it because that's the way it is (or was) and I got my lid as an 'original' at the end of the day - things could have been easier for me but what's the point in doing something easy :roll:

There were all sorts in my troop who you'd imagine would get beasted (e.g. former matelot steward :o ) but by and large if you were a decent lad who wanted to work hard for the troop you made it. We had an excellent training team - harsh....but fair :wink: I still laugh about some of the things we had to do but I didn't laugh at the time. I wouldn't change it all for the world though.
Per Flank, Per Tank
j_trafford

Re: AIB - failed

Post by j_trafford »

I was just wondering what sort of stuff came up on the service knowledge test i.e. did it include navy vessels and their weapons systems, weapons used by the infantry, history of the marines, or even all of these

many thanks

j_trafford