Share This Page:

convictions and RAF application

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
robertson

convictions and RAF application

Post by robertson »

i have posted this question before and got some helpful answers but have a bit more information now so looking for any more input anyone may have.

I have previously been at RAF Halton from October 2011 - March 2012. I was taken to see the DSC at the time and he informed me that my security clearance had been denied as i had a court appearance pending. I was told this was usually a discharge offence however he would allow me to VW so that i could join up again in the future. i am assuming this is because i was a good recruit and the corporals/sergeants had said this.

I have now reapplied (for the role amm(AV)) which i was in as before although did not get past Halton. I went for an interview at the AFCO last week and took in with me a printed list of my criminal convictions. they are as follows ;

2006 - misuse of drugs, now spent

04/2011 - theft by shoplifting, misuse of drugs

08/2011 - breach of the peace

these were all straight fines and did NOT go to court. would the 2 unspent convictions automatically bar me from entry until they are spent or would other things be taken into consideration? This will sound like a suck up thing to say but i am not the person i was when i commited these offences and this is mainly due to my 20 weeks of recruit training which progressed me as a person and taught me valuable life skills which i did not possess when i commited the offences.

after a week or so I received an email from the afco asking me for the amount that i paid on each of my fines. these were as follows

2006 - SPENT - £25
04/2011 - £150
08/2011 - £75

Is this a good sign that they have not closed down my application because of these convictions? are they maybe looking into my past time in the RAF, maybe contacting the staff at Halton to see what I was like there and taking everything else into consideration? what might this mean?

any input is greatly appreciated as i am now worried that the 2 unspent convictions would mean they close down my application automatically due to them. is this the usual procedure or do they look at other factors. I am really keen to get back into the Air Force and was young and immature when i comitted these offences, I have not had any trouble with the police or anything of that nature since.

thanks