Share This Page:

PGAC Diary

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
mr_man_2168

PGAC Diary

Post by mr_man_2168 »

As promised, here's a run-down of PGAC from start to finish. Take note the course IS now different to what AFCO's might be telling you in terms of fitness standards and actual content. It's a long one so if mods want to move it to articles or whatever, feel free! Here we go:

MONDAY (Day 1):
Arrive at Bury St Edmunds by train, you'll probably bump into other lads on their way to PGAC somewhere along the route, loads of us all got the same train from Peterborough to Bury. There's a pub over the road where you can wait for the transport to turn up, also a McDonald's, etc if you don't mind carting your luggage around the town whilst wearing a suit and getting stared at. The course staff arrive and do a quick roll call, then you all bundle onto a coach for transport to RAF Barnham. There'll be 45 lads max.
Once you get to Barnham you'll each be assigned a number for the course, then sown into your room where you have a numbered bedspace. Drop off your kit and quickly make your bed then it's into the briefing room. You get a quick intro to the course and the staff, then make your way to stores and get a helmet, set of coveralls, DPM jacket and boots if you need them. They have plenty of boots so don't worry too much if you can't get hold of your own, be prepared to get blisters though as the ones they lend out obviously aren't broken in properly for your own feet. You also get a water bottle, and a bib with your number on to wear pretty much all the time. In your room you get a rucksack issued to lug everything you need each day so no need to bring your own daysack. Lights out 11pm, you won't sleep well!

TUESDAY (Day 2):
Get up at 6am, ready for breakfast at 6:30. All dress up in your coveralls, jacket and boots. The course staff will tell you to be 5 minutes early for whatever timings they give you. Make sure you are! Eat a big full English if you like, as there's nothing physical until the afternoon. After breakfast is block jobs, basically hoovering, dusting, cleaning the bathrooms, etc, etc. The accommodation is pretty basic, bunk beds allocated according to your number, with seperate toilet and shower rooms at each end. There's a locker room where you can hang suits, etc and they also have irons and the like. For a quid each you can chip in for a brew fund which basically gets you an unlimited amount of tea and coffee for your free time in the block. Well worth it if you're a tea lover like me! After block jobs the staff will have a look to see how you've done. As long as everything is clean and tidy they don't get anal about it. Aim to impress though!
You'll get on the coach after this and move to Honington, they'll tell you exactly what you need to bring with you so don't worry, just make sure you listen and you'll be fine. Don't be the one to forget/lose something that you need! You have a quick look around various things at Honington, they'll show you the trainee's accommodation, squadron hangers, classrooms, etc, etc, and you'll also have a briefing off the Sgt and F/S about what they expect, and some more on the RAF in general and the Regiment. Also a boring talk about pay and conditions, etc. After all of that it'll be lunch, then straight after lunch you go over to the gym and meet the PTI's. Some of them are nice, some of them are t**ts, just listen to what they say and do what they say, don't give them a reason to pick on you or you'll be doing pressups while everyone else laughs at you. You'll do the bleep test first, although the pass in theory is 9.1, you NEED to get over 10.5 if you want to pass, this is straight from the mouth of the Cpl who did my final interview on day 4. After that it's into pressups and situps, you'll have enough time to recover after the bleep test so don't worry over that. Aim for AT LEAST 30 of each, much more if you aren't as strong on the running as you could be (my bleep score was 10.10, 59 pressups, 43 situps). In theory after this you should do the swim test, but the pool was broken so we ended up not doing that. No skin off my nose, I hate swimming!
Next is the absolute killer!! They call it the Skirmish Exercise. You'll change back into coveralls and boots, plus helmets and move out onto the field. After a warmup of running, pressups and stretches you split into 3 groups. You go EVERYWHERE at a jog in this stage. Water break? Jog to your bottles. Changing groups? Job between activities. Throwing up your guts on the sidelines? Jog back when you're done!! The groups rotate between 1) A stretcher race, where your group is split into 2 teams and each team has a 75kg strecher. Only 4 people can touch it at once, one on each corner,those not carrying it run alongside ready to take over lads who need a break. You do one short practice, then a timed lap of the rugby pitch, a short break (about 45 secs) then another lap. Just work hard as a team and you'll be ok. Then on to 2) Log Exercises. The group is split into 3 this time, each team has a log with ropes attached. You'll pick up the log between the team, run to a certain marker, and do some sort of exercise with it (bicep curling it, shoulder pressing it up, and doing situps with it laid on your chests). Then the finale, once you've done them idividually, you'll do a race where you're constantly moving back and forth,l then doing the exercise, then repeating with the next one. Last team back on every run gets pressups. Then when you've finished throwing up (i'm not joking!) on to 3) Buddy-Buddy exercises. You'll start off with a nice easy (ha-f***ing-ha) run out to every line on the pitch up to the halfway line. At each line you have to do 5 pressups, then run back to the touch line for 5 more, before running out to the next furthest line, and so on. Then the PTI will stand you in a line and teach you to leopard crawl. He tells you to crawl out to hin, the catch being he walks backwards so the slower you crawl, the further you have to go! When you reach him, you stand up and run back. Then its back in the line and you do 'Sprint/grenade'. Whenever the PTI shouts sprint, you run like your life depends on it. Whenever he shouts 'Grenade' you have to dive down and crawl at top speed. This goes on for at least 3 times as long as it needs to to make a point! Then you pair up and have to alternate between doing a fireman's lift, dragging your partner along the floor whilst you run, and then the hardest of all, dragging your partner behind you while you crawl! It's knackering basically, but there's nothing more physical for the rest of the day, you just go back to Barnham, have dinner, and chill out a bit.

WEDNESDAY (Day 3)
Don't have a full breakfast today, as soon as you've eaten and finished the block jobs you move to Honington and go straight into the 3-miler. We still did it in ranks with PTIs setting the pace, about 23mins. This might be changing soon to a best effort without the PTIs, but nobody really seemed sure yet. If you do run it with the PTIs, all you need to do is tuck up behind the bloke in front and keep moving. if you've prepared it's really not that bad. The run is 6 laps of a big field, but DO NOT stop after the 6 laps if the PTI keeps running. You'll fail even though you got the 3 miles under 24 mins. he'll probably only go a couple of hundred meters extra, and you'll look like a quitter for not sticking in the group.
After this you'll get back into coveralls and helmets and move to the assault course. A quick warm up of running and stretches, then a few wrestling-type games to get you aggressive, etc. Then you'll be shown the course and practice the obstacles a few at a time. After this, you line up in pairs and each pair is started at 1 minute intervals, you have 5mins 15 seconds to finish. The hardest is the 9-foot wall, which you have to climb without assistance. if you can't do it KEEP TRYING, don't just give up. After a few attempts a PTI will come and give you a leg up, if you quit you just don't look determined. I failed the assault course, because i took a bad landing off one of the walls. I kept at it but another jump finished me off and I quit before I injured myself badly. Assuming you don't pick up an injury like I did it's pretty easy, nobody who managed everything else dropped out or failed to get under the allotted time. Just keep moving as fast as you can, after this you don't have to do ANY physical stuff at all, so throw everything you have at it!
Weds afternoon is spent in suits and ties in a hot stuff computwer room while all you want to do is sleep! You do a few tests to check your key skills and see if you might have any learning difficulties, etc. The Sgt in charge of this is a good laugh, but the subject is boring. Watching everyone get up with all their aches and pains after sitting down for a couple of hours is pretty funny. You also get measured for kit and try on boots today. If you're successful at the end they give you boots to take away and break in. You get free socks if you pass or not. haha. You'll move back to Barnham after dinner and start sorting out all the military kit you won't need anymore, then iron your shirts and chill out all evening.

THURSDAY (Day 4)

Breakfast and block jobs as normal, then into suits. The blocks have to be immaculate as you won't come back again, work together to get everything done in time, and dont just slack off and do your own kit, etc. You'll get formed up outside and they'll read out the names of those who passed, they get on the coach and go off to Honington. Most lads fail because they drop out of the bleep test, 3-miler or skirmish, they get sent home ASAP. If there's any of you left who don't pass on thursday it'll be because you met the minimum but weren't quite good enough to pass straight away. I was in this group due to my injury. You go to Honington too, and spend the morning waiting to have a one-to-one with the course staff. They'll tell you why you didn't make it this time, and invite you back in the time period they think you need. It's emphasised that unlike the drop outs, you've only just fallen short and that with only a small amount of work for next time you WILL pass. Those that have passed have their own interviews, get boots issued, and live happily ever after or something.
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
Jafa

Post by Jafa »

Unlucky on your Injury mate :bad-words:

I have a few questions...

How many passed?
Do you know when the next PGAC is? I passed my Medical a few days ago and just waiting for my PGAC dates.
The bleep test is the one Im dreading, the last time I done a bleep test was when I was in School :D
What sort of training shall I do to be able to get over 10.5 on the Bleep test?
Did you find the whole course hard or was it easier than expected?
How long is the Assault course? Did most struggle on it or is it easy? (If you dont get injured)
Last but not least...
For the next PGAC do you think you will have to run the 3 miler without the PTIs? Or will it be awhile before it is implemented?
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Off the top of my head I can't remember how many passed, it was about 20 give or take a couple, out of the 44 who started.
PGAcs run every couple of weeks most of the time, but most lads seem to have a 2-3 month wait between medical and PGAC, as there's high demand for places on the course. You can tell your AFCO if you're available at short notice and they might be able to get you on sooner in place of somebody who cancels, etc.
If you can do 3 miles in 24 mins or under, you should be able to get 10.5 no problem. It's mental as much as physical. Also make sure you're well hydrated before you start, it's done in a hot gym and most of us were sweating buckets.
Pretty much everyone found the course challenging, a few lads who'd failed and were on their second attempt said it was much harder under the new style than the old ones. Individually the tests are easy, but thrown together into a short period of time you'll be worn down by the time it comes to Wednesday lunchtime and you're on the assault course.
The assault course is probably about 3-400 meters worth of actual obstacles, plus a couple of hundred meters of sprinting at the start and finish. It's not that challenging if you have fair upper body strength and the cardio fitness to match. Again, if you can pass everything that comes before it, you can probably do the assault course too.
To be honest about the 3-miler, nobody seemed certain either way. We were told on day one it would be in a squad with PTIs, on day 2 the Sergeant told us it would be individual best effort, then when we came to it the PTIs did it as a squad. There was also talk of maybe doing a 1.5 mile straight line with the PTI then best effort run back. So who knows. I reckon train as if you'll have to do it individually, then either way you're covered!
AST - PASSED
TG Course - ???
BucksBoy

Post by BucksBoy »

Really sorry to hear you didnt pass this time mate, its shitty bad luck as it sounds like you prepared really well for it - that last 9 foot wall on the assault course is a c**t I did my shoulder in pulling myself over it the second time and it is still playing up, havent been able to do many chinups or press ups in the past month, part of me is glad I still have three months before I start my TG course for it to heal - you have to do it in your fighting order then too! I'm glad I put that post up about the PGAC changing now - good luck with your next one, stick with it as you deserve to pass and get on to your training.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Been a long time since a dairy
J4M13

Post by J4M13 »

Nice post fella, really informative cheers!

In regards to the 9ft wall, how would a lad(me haha) go about tackling that being only 5 and half foot? :-?
TeessideTack

Post by TeessideTack »

Cheers Mr Man!
I'm off down tomorrow and after reading that have put self doubt into my mind!! Argh, wish I hadn't read it now, haha!

Hope all goes well on your next test bud!

Sorry, just re-read the thing about the assault course. Is there anything as demanding as that? Or is it basically leopard crawling and wall jumping?
AST: Passed
AFCO Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PGAC: 04/05/09 - Failed
PGAC Re-Attempt - ??
TG Course: ?
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

How'd it go TT?

J4M13 don't worry too much mate that wall isn't as hard as it sounds as long as you have decent upper body strength. You can get a run up and a jump, then once you've got a hold on the top pull up like a nutter 'til you can get your elbows on, then you're sorted!
AST - PASSED
TG Course - ???
Jafa

Post by Jafa »

I was speaking to a friend who had his PGAC a few weeks ago (Dont know exact date) and he failed but I know he worked very hard to try and pass but obviously not hard enough. I think the fitness standerds have been raised :o

I run 3 miles in around 25-26 minutes now but just cant seem to be able to improve it, the fastest I got is 25:14 but that was about a week ago! Any tips on how to go faster? Shall I keep running 3 miles, 3 times a week or should I run 4 times a week instead?
AST: 01/04/09 - PASSED
Interview: 03/04/09 - PASSED
Medical: 05/05/09 - PASSED
PGAC: ???
TG Course: ???
bataz

Post by bataz »

Jafa wrote:I was speaking to a friend who had his PGAC a few weeks ago (Dont know exact date) and he failed but I know he worked very hard to try and pass but obviously not hard enough. I think the fitness standerds have been raised :o

I run 3 miles in around 25-26 minutes now but just cant seem to be able to improve it, the fastest I got is 25:14 but that was about a week ago! Any tips on how to go faster? Shall I keep running 3 miles, 3 times a week or should I run 4 times a week instead?
Run 5 miles+ twice a week and 3 miles best effort twice a week, see if that works for you.
Application - Done.
BARB - Passed.
Basic Skills - Passed.
Written Medical - Cleared.
Interview - Passed.
ADSC - 19/05/09 - Passed.
Chosen Man - 08/06/09.

ITC Catterick - 23rd August.

Chosen Regiment - The Rifles.
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Jafa wrote:I was speaking to a friend who had his PGAC a few weeks ago (Dont know exact date) and he failed but I know he worked very hard to try and pass but obviously not hard enough. I think the fitness standerds have been raised :o

The standards have been raised in a way, the bare minimums are the same and if you fail to achieve that you're sent packing more or less there and then, BUT! if you are only just above the bare minimum, they'll let you complete the course and then at the end ask you back in a couple of months rather than pass you as they used to. Also with the introduction of the Skirmish and timed assault course it's overall a lot more physical than it used to be.

Bataz is right, longer distance is the key as it will take your base level of fitness up, then you can work on speed more. Try some Fartlek or interval training every once in a while. Get your upper body endurance up as well if you can, it'll make your life a lot easier on the Skirmish if you're used to intense work and upper body movements.
AST - PASSED
TG Course - ???
TeessideTack

Post by TeessideTack »

Hey Mr Man,
Bad news I'm afraid, I failed on the 3-miler, pulled out with cramp in my calf after about 2 and quarter miles. However, I have been asked to go back in September to "smash f@#k out of it" so I'm keeping myself optimistic because I passed everything else.

For those who have their PGAC's in the next few weeks and don't think you're quite there...up your work rate!! As Mr Man has said there are no bare minimum standards you can achieve anymore, it's just pure best effort and if the Cpl's and Sgt's don't think thats good enough then your bags are packed and your off on Wednesday afternoon.

To also echo Man's points regarding the PTI's...DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT give them lip. For some reason some lads thought they could dispute several situations to which they just got verbally beaten down and made to do more press ups.

My advice for anyone going soon is just give it your absolute all, don't leave there thinking "I could have done better" because it will eat you up. The Cpl's and Staff are absolutely spot on and have a good sense of humour so theres never a dull moment if you don't want there to be. The food is quality and you get a shedload!

The only problem I had all week was with my coveralls, they were abit snug what with me being 6'3" lol, I don't think many lads have ever seen a camel toe on a lad!! Haha.
AST: Passed
AFCO Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PGAC: 04/05/09 - Failed
PGAC Re-Attempt - ??
TG Course: ?
baileycivvy

Post by baileycivvy »

TeessideTack wrote:Hey Mr Man,
Bad news I'm afraid, I failed on the 3-miler, pulled out with cramp in my calf after about 2 and quarter miles. However, I have been asked to go back in September to "smash f@#k out of it" so I'm keeping myself optimistic because I passed everything else.

For those who have their PGAC's in the next few weeks and don't think you're quite there...up your work rate!! As Mr Man has said there are no bare minimum standards you can achieve anymore, it's just pure best effort and if the Cpl's and Sgt's don't think thats good enough then your bags are packed and your off on Wednesday afternoon.

To also echo Man's points regarding the PTI's...DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT give them lip. For some reason some lads thought they could dispute several situations to which they just got verbally beaten down and made to do more press ups.

My advice for anyone going soon is just give it your absolute all, don't leave there thinking "I could have done better" because it will eat you up. The Cpl's and Staff are absolutely spot on and have a good sense of humour so theres never a dull moment if you don't want there to be. The food is quality and you get a shedload!

The only problem I had all week was with my coveralls, they were abit snug what with me being 6'3" lol, I don't think many lads have ever seen a camel toe on a lad!! Haha.
wet myself reading that!
12/01/2009 applied
22/01/2009 AST Pass
23/01/2009 Interview Pass
27/01/2009 Medical, delayed results but Pass
1/06/2009 PGAC....
cottey

Post by cottey »

alright ye i was on mr_man_2168 pgac i failed on the 3miler bout 2miles threw due to cramp in my thigh probly from not stretching proply after skermish but going back 7th sept to kill it and hopefully get on tg b4 the end of the year lol
application form : done
Medical : pass
Andy501

Post by Andy501 »

Alright lads,

Im a complete newbie to the forum. So Hi all!

Im currently going through a Raf Reg application. Ive passed my AST and interview and have my medical on the 27th May! Then PGAC end of august/early September.

Sorry to bust in on your thread but i had a few questions about the PGAC...

Is the 3 mile run done in boots?
What are the obstacles on the assault course?
And last, do you have to do another AST on the PGAC?

Thanks in advance and sorry to hear about your pgac Mr_Man and Teeside! You have me worrying now and i have 3 months of training left!!! lol

Andy